H. Upmann Connaisseur No. 1 (BM NOSU)

My very second Habanos was an Upmann Magnum 46. Thus began a love affair that has continued to this very day. So, when some respected BOTL highly recommended the ’98 Connaisseur No. 1, how could I resist?

Ahhhh! Just opening the box told me I was going to like this one. The smell had that unmistakable Upmann signature: like roasted peanuts, with the sweet fermented aroma of well-aged tobacco, and a scent reminiscent of powdered saffron that has been mellowed for decades in a cedar box.

The wrapper was a medium oak brown, thin, lightly oily and almost veinless. The cigar was well-made, uniformly firm between my fingers, and very smooth to the touch. First draws were of surprisingly strong, spicy tobacco, followed by the classic Upmann flavor profile. In spades! The years have done their job. As Emeril might say, they “kick it up a notch or two!”

My No. 1 burned cleanly, and drew perfectly. The smoke was pungent, with a strong toasted tobacco flavor, seasoned with cedar and nuts. That deep “musty” quality was there too, along with a refreshing tang that left my tongue tingling. When exhaled, the effect was delightfully spicy. It had a sharp, peppery finish. This is in sharp contrast with a box of AUG04 which I have aging, which are strong and complex, but have nowhere near the depth of flavor, and little of the “mustiness” of the ‘98’s.

I have just read the results of the group review on the '01 Connaisseurs. Altogether, these results support the contention that Upmanns require many years to fully mature and reveal their depth and quality. Some contend that they become stronger with age. I would describe this cigar as medium to full-bodied and full-flavored. My '98 Upmann Connaisseur No. 1 was rich and completely satisfying.

In summary, it had a nice beat, you can dance to it, and I'll give it a 92.

Geat review Shrink :clap:

I canot hink of any other cigar which divides punters as completely as the Upmann Connoisseur No 1. It really is a love it or hate it paradox.

» Geat review Shrink :clap:

»

» I canot hink of any other cigar which divides punters as completely as the

» Upmann Connoisseur No 1. It really is a love it or hate it paradox.

I guess that all depends on how old the sample is!

» Great review Shrink :clap:

»

» I cannot think of any other cigar which divides punters as completely as the

» Upmann Connoisseur No 1. It really is a love it or hate it paradox.

True Rob. But does this not relate more to the cigar than the smoker? I feel exactly the same way about this cigar. My problem is that I represent both sides!!! I have smoked this cigar from many vintages and I can't think of a more inconsistent cigar... except perhaps the Monte 2. When it is on, damn! But I have smoked my share that I light and just want to pitch! -Piggy