Cuban Cigar Website - ONE YEAR ON

» Hi Friends.

»

» I have started-up a Cuban Cigar information website and the El Presidente

» (many thanks Rob) has approved the listing of the link for comments,

» suggestions, and ideas for improvement.

»

» The site has no reviews, forums, sales, or advertising. It is a free site

» with unrestricted access and no passwords.

»

» What it does contain is details, information, checklists etc for Cuban

» cigars that hopefully will be useful to many. The most important goal is

» to provide an informative and up-to-date website.

»

» The link is: http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com

»

» Many thanks.

Well done. Nice pics, and detai

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

» Very nice! Thanks for going to all the effort to do this. :clap:

Its a labour of Love :lookaround:

Just a short note to thank everyone for their kind comments & suggestions.

I have now done a complete site check and it should now be 99% correct and 97% up to date. Hope to be finalised by end of year, and then will keep it up to date. Any suggestions or corrections welcome.

PS. The next section to be added is Tobacco, as it relates to cigar understanding and appreciation. A rough outline is already on the website.

Thanks again, Trevor. [link]http://CubanCigarWebsite.com[/link]

» » Very nice! Thanks for going to all the effort to do this. :clap:

»

» Its a labour of Love :lookaround:

»

» Just a short note to thank everyone for their kind comments &

» suggestions.

»

» I have now done a complete site check and it should now be 99% correct and

» 97% up to date. Hope to be finalised by end of year, and then will keep it

» up to date. Any suggestions or corrections welcome.

»

» PS. The next section to be added is Tobacco, as it relates to cigar

» understanding and appreciation. A rough outline is already on the website.

»

»

» Thanks again, Trevor. [link]http://CubanCigarWebsite.com[/link]

FANTASTIC site.

Great reference, great facts, obviously took a ton of work.

Best of luck!

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to all. Just an update.

The tobacco information section of my website is now in final draft and can be viewed at:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/6-tobacco.htm

I have limited it to information that affects or informs on the practical aspects of understanding cigars and their makeup.

I have had several requests for this information, so any feedback would be appreciated. Is it too long, too short, or just right.

Doing this has also lead to a future section on cigar pests and problems. :surprised:

Many thanks, Trevor

awesome site! very informative, esoecially the section on storing, temperature and humidity, though I've been collecting for a few years, there are varying opinions about the best ways, temperatures yada yada... but your site coincides with opinions i recieved from richard, manager of havana house in auckland and cigar aficionado, well done! ill use it all the time

Hi James_Bond. Hope your not too shaken over there in the shaky isles. Many thanks for your kind comments.

A great advantage (I believe) of this forum, is that it is up to date with good current informed opinion, and I have tried to reflect this in my website. A website based on my opinion is pointless; it must be informed consensus opinion.

Regards, Trevor:yes:

PS. My site now rates first (out of 977,000 results) when doing a Goggle search for Cuban & Cigar & Website, and often rates in the top 10 results when doing a more specific Information search. Many thanks to all at FOH :ok:

hey no problem trev, we're a bit shaken up down here, heavy rain this morning, someones gotta be the victim i guess its us THIS week :-P mother nature isnt relenting! in regards to your site, its great and informative but also easy to navigate, the fact all the information is together on one page makes it even better :-P always glad to help and provide input!

» always glad to help and provide input!

Input always welcome.:yes:

BTW, I have just finished a section on Cigar Presentation & Packaging in my website.

Mainly of benefit to newcomers (weren't we all?:-D ) but a good read....I found out a few new things myself doing the research.

It contains:

Cigars presentations

With Bands, Without Bands, Aluminium Tubes, Plastic Tubes, Cedar Wrapped, Tissue Wrapped, Paper Foil, Cellophane Sleeves, & Earlier Types.

Cigars packagings

Dress Box, Small Dress Box, Slide Lid Box, Semi Boite Nature, Boite Nature, 8-9-8 Box, Single Box, Bundles, Cardboard Packs, Special Packaging, Special Humidors, & Earlier Packaging.

Direct link is: http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/5-cigars.htm

Cheers, Trevor....:waving:

Link corrected 23Mar07

• 1 month later...

Have just added a section on Cuban History as it relates to Cuban Cigars and would like some input from some of our Miami friends on its accuracy and appropriateness, before I put it up on the web.

General Cuban History

The following history will help in understanding the various periods of the development of Cuban cigars.

1492 - Columbus "discovers" indigenous tobacco in Cuba and takes it back to the New World.

1511 - Spain takes control of Cuba.

1614 - La Casa de Contratatacion de la Habana formed to develop tobacco production in Cuba.

1817 - Tobacco industry monopoly ended and a boom in cigar production & export commences.

1898 - War brings independence to Cuba (under USA influence) and the American buy-out begins.

1920 - Cigar making machines introduced into Cuba. They are boycotted between 1937 to 1950.

1959 - The Revolution occurs (outing corrupt President Batista) and Fidel Castro takes control of Cuba.

1960 - Castro nationalises the Cuban cigar industry. See Brand History section.

1962 - Cubatabaco formed and the number of export brands reduce from around 140 to 40.

1962 - USA embargo commences and in 1963, full restrictions are enforced.

1980 - Cuban factory Vitolas de Galera names are rationalised.

1992 - Start of Cuba's "Special Period" of economic crisis, caused by the collapse of the Soviet Union.

1994 - Habanos S.A. (Habanos Sociedad Anomina) created as the commercial arm of Cubatabaco.

1999 - Altadis S.A. purchases a 50% share in Habanos S.A.

2001 - Tabacuba formed and took over (from Cubatabaco) the manufacturing side of Habanos S.A.

2002 - A major policy and range reduction occurs and production improvements commenced. See report.

2005 - Production improvements finalised and 2006 considered as a highpoint in Cuban cigar quality.

Cheers, Trevor. :confused:

Trevor, I have no help for you on this query, but want to mention that your web page has proven very useful to me. I especially like the life size pictures of the cigars, and the detailed information on discontinued cigars.

Thanks for providing this service to the cigar lovers of the world.

Thanks Professor Twain for your kind comments.

I am in the progress of extending the Discontinued Production Cigar section by adding images where available. I am not extending back beyond 1980 (when the Factory Vitola names were rationalised).

Other areas are being fine tuned while I wait for the proposed cigar lists for 2007. :hungry:

Regards, Trevor.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Have rearranged the printable summary lists (as distinct from the main pages) to be more usefull.

Any comments?

See the Cigars Checklist Page from the active link below.

Thanks, Trevor.:-)

More nice features--I literally use your pages every day. Having the year that certain cigars were discontinued is a very nice feature.

I do have one suggestion if you want to add another handy feature--I love the way on Cigars-Review.org that they show all cigars of a given size, e.g. if I am looking at the Hoyo des Dieux, I can click and find all corona grandes--but this might take a lot of extra work.

» I do have one suggestion if you want to add another handy feature--I love the way on Cigars-Review.org that they show all cigars of a given size, e.g. if I am looking at the Hoyo des Dieux, I can click and find all corona grandes--but this might take a lot of extra work.

Huum.....not a bad idea...I will see what I can do. I'll have a go with current cigars at this stage. It will not be as flash as Cigars-Review, as my website is a simply structured one and not able to be easily manipulated..:confused:

I'll let you know when I have a sample page up.

Thanks Bill, :ok:

Regards Trevor.

» Terrific job on a very handy site!:ok: On a recent visit to consult some information, I found the photo for the Partagas de Partagas No. 1 in the disco'd section is incorrect. I was also wondering if you'd be able to include packaging info for discontinued cigars as well.

Thanks for the info.......image has been fixed..:yes:

Regarding packaging for Discontinued cigars, the only place I know this information is available is Ron Min Nees Illustrated Encyclopedia.:no: As such, I would be unable to add such information, except for the very recent discontinued vitolas.

If anyone knows any open-source info on this please advise.

» I do have one suggestion if you want to add another handy feature--I love the way on Cigars-Review.org that they show all cigars of a given size, e.g. if I am looking at the Hoyo des Dieux, I can click and find all corona grandes--but this might take a lot of extra work.

Well, not exactly as requested but there is now a section on Cigars by size / Vitola .

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/3-sizes.htm

I have added all cigars, even from the anniversary humidors etc. This may be a bit too much & I am thinking of deleting humidors with less than a 200 unit releases, or at least down-grading these cigars to the end of the list (as cigars from the Siglo XXI is rather academic). Also considering deleting regional "repacks" ie standard cigars in special boxes.

Comments please.:wink:

Decided to delete the repacks, and sort the SigloXXI to the end of each list & extend colour coding. Black for production cigars, green for Special Releases, Blue for Commemorative Humidors, Brown for the SigloXXI, Red for discontinued production?, or something similar:-D