SLR DC\'s 04 v 05.

hardly had a chance to have a smoke for the best part of a month so now that there was some light at the end of the tunnel, sat down on sat evening to watch broncs and lions (what a pack of losers, the pair of them) and then sunday for the glorious wallabies (and wasn't it just like the reds of old in funny coloured jerseys - rocksolid defence and wear the opposite down until it all cracks open - faith and hope restored). but i digress.

thought i would return to the fold with one of my absolute favs, the SLR DC. had some on hand from both 04 and 05 so then got the idea to compare the two. the SLR DC really is one of my go-to, best-of, must-have smokes. i am down to only a couple of the original release that rob got in so they are hands off.

sat was from JHT Nov 04 and sunday was from SOL Dec 05. i would be really interested for any other thoughts on either of these or on differences from different releases with other cigars.

the 04 was obvioulsy young, with tight construction. had quite an oaky taste. powerful but i am not sure that it was as powerful as the early ones. rich, ripe, milk chocolate. had a mid speed burn and a little work was needed for the draw, just about ideal. it really does need a lot of time to develop. this was a joy and after an almost cigar-celibate month, it felt like catching an entire month up in the one smoke. terrific. 92-93.

then the 05. to be honest, the 04 was so young that i nearly didn't bother but anything in the name of research. stand back, sportsfans. what a cigar! even in one so young. was a serious step up on the terrific 04. anyone else finding 05s up on 04s?

terrific construction and long slow burn. more subtle and creamy with a mild, milk chocolate richness, spices, a hint of mint and lots of underlying power. more complex and the power built and built. big buzz going by the end. great cone, right through. this was seriously good. 95. will be very tough to keep my hnds off these for a few years but think that it would be worth doing.

i know that i have extolled the virtues of SLR DC's often in the past (not that i could find where on the forum) but i am coming to the conclusion that for a cigar that has really only been around about half a decade, we are seeing the birth of a legend. in twenty years and more, i suspect that the smokers of that time will speak of these in hushed tones. fill the humidors now (rob, only after i get a crack at the annual allocation).

I haven't yet had the opportunity to compare '04 and '05 SLR DCs, but everything that I've had so far from '05 have been just fantastic. The few cigars that I've tasted from '05 boxes have been excellently constructed. Of cigars that I have both '04 and '05, the '05 Lusi and Choix supremes have been markedly better than '04. Didn't see much difference between BBF, PSD4, VRF, Shorts, and RASCC.

Ken, good to see you smoking and posting about it. I have only met Senor SLRDC in the 02 and 05 vintage and have been off the 02 for a while now letting them age. I bought an 05 cab from Rob and they are not quite comparable to the 02 but not sick either. I have decided that half of the cab will be smoked at will. I consider these a "treat myself" cigar and will give one to a buddy if I want to do him right.

» Nice review Ken.

»

» From what I have seen....and it is early....I would put 05 above 06. In

» fact 05 was the best since 97/98.

Thats a BOLD statement considering the quality of the '01s.

Probably my favorite DC. I never got any of the 01s, but would rate the 04s over the 02s. The 04s have more spice to them. I also have a cab of 05s, but haven't opened it yet. Maybe in the winter I'll open the05s. Then they'll at least have a year & 1/2 on them.

» Thanks for the review. Like other folks, the loose sticks I have are from

» Rob. Still thinking about when and whether to light one up. They sure do

» look pretty though.

»

» Wilkey

Ah hell Wilkey burn one they are only leaves. Holy Holy Holy to the SLRDC. No disrespecxt to those with only one but you are rooted. Never buy only one cigar unless you are sure it's ***** rocket.;-)