PARTAGAS SERIE CONNAISSIEUR NO.1

After having worked Saturday gathering mountain stone for a retaining wall I’m building, I thought nothing could be a more fitting treat to myself then settling down with a premium tobacco product. Without any forethought I knew what I wanted and chose a PARTAGAS SERIE CONNAISSIEUR NO.1.

I settled into the rocker on the front porch with a bottle of water, my torch lighter and the Partagas du jour. It was just twilight on a fine spring evening here. Facing west, the sun was nearly gone, tinting the few remaining clouds a dusky peach.

The cigar was blemish free and fit the hand nicely. Pre-light the Conni was a joy to inhale, pure richness and depth as one could only expect from a Habanos. I used a single edged razor to neatly trim down to only the second cap and found the draw was tight to perfection.

The stick took well to the flame and after purging the first draw, I slowly let the next drift over my taste buds. I sensed leather, the earthy taste of roasted chestnuts and a richness of smoke, though there wasn’t tremendous volume. I purposely smoked this cigar slowly, having learned from Rob that going too fast with this vitola is a sure fire way to burn the tongue. About a third of the way through the flavor was still leather, but melded into what I perceived as toasted marshmallow. Not sugary sweetness, but that of a golden toasted caramel flavor. The flavor at the halfway point became more of the familiar white pepper spiciness that one associates with Partagas. The earthy/spice flavor pretty much continued along this vein, until, out of respect for the lady, I put her to rest before the tar could ruin the dance.

As the twilight had slipped away to darkness under a gibbous moon and with the tree frogs trilling away at the return of spring, I couldn’t help but thank God, for it truly is a wonderful life!

Nice Review! I tried my first of these fairly recently - but I found it

to be fairly airy and bland. (reminiscent of the PSD 4s I've tried so far).

I'm hoping that in time that will change, but perhaps Partagas, in general,

are not for me.

» As the twilight had slipped away to darkness under a gibbous moon and with

» the tree frogs trilling away at the return of spring, I couldn’t help but

» thank God, for it truly is a wonderful life! :rotfl: Lovely finish!

You need to pull on this vitola. If the drw is too easy it ruins the flavour profile. The cigar also needs to be enjoyed very slowly. If you overheat the burn then you will be dissapointed.

Try another one this weekend Colt and I would love to see your thoughts.

» You need to pull on this vitola. If the drw is too easy it ruins the

» flavour profile.

Rob, nail on the head. My sample had a relatively loose draw, which certainly

inhibits the flavor. I'll try another soon.

» Great review...makes me wanna go light up the box I have.....what year was

» your Conn 1 ?? I have a box from 98 that I am itching to open.......

Great review. Thanks. I will definitely be smoking these on vacation next week. Would love to know what year the PSdC1 was as well. I am currently smoking from a box of 98s that are incredible. Probably my favorite cigar.

Nice review!

I agree with Rob, this cigar needs to be smoked slowly, but you need to draw consistently.

I smoked a 2001 last night myself, and it was stellar! The earthiness and leathery were predominant throughout the cigar. It displayed a touch of citrus toward the beginning and the subtle sweet Partagás Peppery spiciness was wonderful. Complex is an understatement, It was ever changing the profile and direction I thought it was heading. The last 1/3 of the cigar was noticed a more pronounced Sea Salt essence. I love this cigar!

Thanks for the lovely review. This cigar deserves all the praise that it receives. Without doubt the most complex of all Partagas. I've tried '98's and '03's. Prefer the 03, because it still has a peppery bite at the end, and more distinct citrus. It's all good, tho.

» I tried my first of these fairly recently - but I found it

» to be fairly airy and bland. (reminiscent of the PSD 4s I've tried so

» far).

I've been enjoying a box of '98 SdC#1's and find them to be full of flavor and body. But airy and bland would be a good description for most of the PSD4s I've sampled.

I am a big Partagas fan. I love the Partagas taste. The spicy flavor is so profound in their blends.

I have not smoked many of these. but I do have a box resting in the humi and may have to rip it open soon.

Nice review and thanks for sharing.

» Great review...makes me wanna go light up the box I have.....what year was

» your Conn 1 ??

Gents,

This particular cigar was one of several singles (which also included some Cohiba Lanceros and Monte Especiales) that I purchased last year on Rob’s recommendation… hence, the year was unknown. Sorry.

I hate to nitpick about spelling because I am not the world's greatest in that department.

Still for the nitpickers amoung you the cigar is "Connoisseur".

The entire Serie du Connoisseur line is exceptional for my taste.

Have to agree with Van55. I have a box of 98 SdeC#1s & they are excellent full flavored cigars. IMHO, far superior to the PSD4s & Lusis. The only recent Partagas I find better are cabs of 02 Lonsdales.

I love these delicious and elegant cigars - I always feel as if I'm being treated to something special when I take the time to enjoy an SdC No 1.

» I hate to nitpick about spelling because I am not the world's greatest in

» that department.

»

» Still for the nitpickers amoung you the cigar is "Connoisseur".

»

» The entire Serie du Connoisseur line is exceptional for my taste.

Van, I too hate to nitpick, because I am one of the World's worse spellers, but the Correct Spelling is Connaisseur and I agree that the entire Serie du Connaisseur Line is exceptional and absolutely some of my personal favorites!

» » I hate to nitpick about spelling because I am not the world's greatest

» in

» » that department.

» »

» » Still for the nitpickers amoung you the cigar is "Connoisseur".

» »

» » The entire Serie du Connoisseur line is exceptional for my taste.

»

» Van, I too hate to nitpick, because I am one of the World's worse

» spellers, but the Correct Spelling is Connaisseur and I agree that

» the entire Serie du Connaisseur Line is exceptional and absolutely

» some of my personal favorites!

You and I both love these cigars, Chuck.

I took my spelling directly from the Habanos s.a. web site:

Partagás Serie Connoisseur #1 SLB-UW-GPSR-M-n-25

I just looked at Min Ron NEE's book and he spells it "Serie du Connaisseur" but he spells the H. Upmann Hermoso #4 "Connoissieur No. 1".

Interesting.

» Van,

»

» I took the spelling right off a box of Partagás Serie du Connaisseur

» No.1's, so I agree with you Interesting!

It's because "connaisseur" is French. It kinda sounds like this series of cigars were produced originally for the French market, since their name is in French, no?

I'm talking out my ass here. The Internet can make you look both smarter and dumber very quickly.