Scotch Drinkers?

TJtorpedo

I'm a sucker for a good single malt scotch, with or without a cigar. Wondering what favorites anyone has, or any cigar recommendations to pair. I like a peaty scotch from Islay - Lagavulin 16yr is my choice. Then again, I also really enjoy a smooth Highland like a Macallan.

Here's a post I sent a while ago...

I purchased the Johnny Walker sample box duty free on my way back from a holiday. It had Blue, Gold, Black and Single Malt in small bottles.

The blue is awsome. But I liked the Gold label. Kind of honey and apparently you pop the bottle in the freezer for a bit and drink it neat chilled. I reckon it'd go well with a Trini Robusto Extra. I found an article in an Epicure cigar mag that matched scotches to cigars. Here's the lowdown according to them:

Siglo 6 - Lagavulin 16 years, Sir Winston Talisker 10 years, Trin Rob Extra - Glenkinchie 10 years, Monte A Chivas 18 years, Lusitania - Cutty sark 25 years, Boli coronas gigantes - Cragganmore 12 years, Monte 2 - Oban 14 years, Punch churchill - Dalwhinnie 15 years, Cuaba Diademas - Sprinbank 12 years 175 anni, Partagas 8-9-8 - Campbelltown Loch 25 years, Hoyo Piramide - Putachieside 12 years, Esplendidas - Glenfarclas 1954, Cohiba Robustos - Edradour ltd ed 30 years, Partagas D1 EL - Isle of Jura 16 years, Partagas D4 - William Grant Rare 25 years, Monte Edmundo - Famous Grouse 15 years, Hoyo DC - The Arran Malt, Ramon Allones Gigantes - The Macallan select reserve 1946, Hoyo petit robusto - J&B reserve 15 years, Don Alejandro Vegas Robaina EL - Johnnie Walker Blue, R&J Exhibition 2 - Whyte & Mackay 30 years, Partagas Piramide - Benromach 25 years, R&J robusto - Bruichladdich legacy 1966 36 years.

I haven't tried any but I like the sound of the Lagavulin (Islay sigle malt with a strong aroma of peat, iodine. Smokey on the palate with salty nuances) or the Isle of Jura (Single malt with sweet, floral aroma and hints of ginger. The palate is fruity with notes of honey, lightly citric, with a very long finsh). But then if you match these to to the cigars, you'll figure out my two fav stoggies at the moment.

So you can take all that with a grain of malt.

» Here's a post I sent a while ago...

»

» I purchased the Johnny Walker sample box duty free on my way back from a

» holiday. It had Blue, Gold, Black and Single Malt in small bottles.

» The blue is awsome. But I liked the Gold label. Kind of honey and

» apparently you pop the bottle in the freezer for a bit and drink it neat

» chilled. I reckon it'd go well with a Trini Robusto Extra. I found an

» article in an Epicure cigar mag that matched scotches to cigars.

Interesting article you found Bill. Thanks!

» I'm a sucker for a good single malt scotch, with or without a cigar.

» Wondering what favorites anyone has, or any cigar recommendations to pair.

» I like a peaty scotch from Islay - Lagavulin 16yr is my choice. Then

» again, I also really enjoy a smooth Highland like a Macallan.

I was a huge fan of The Macallan (any year) but then i was introduced to The Balvenie and have not gone back!! I really enjoyed the 15 yr but the 10 is only a small step down (if any), but i'm not a big fan of the 12 yr doublewood.

From my experience and good cuban pairs well with these babies!!

My favorites right now are Oban, Laphroig and Balvinnie. Wish I knew how to pair them...but the one rule I have is to try not to overpower the cigar. So, the peaty Laphroig I would pair with a stronger cigar like Partagas. And I know the Oban goes well with the ERDM choix.

Cragganmore 12 year, johnnie walker green 15 year, macallan 18 year, chivas 18, aberlour abunadh, glenfiddich 21 year are some that I enjoy depending on my mood and cigar.

We really ought to investigate pairing of different habanos with the scotches we enjoy and see how they highlight our smoking experiences. It would be fun to discuss this on the forum.

» We really ought to investigate pairing of different habanos with the

» scotches we enjoy and see how they highlight our smoking experiences. It

» would be fun to discuss this on the forum.

Good idea! If I can get over this cold I have, I'll start this weekend......

• 1 month later...

»

» We really ought to investigate pairing of different habanos with the

» scotches we enjoy and see how they highlight our smoking experiences. It

» would be fun to discuss this on the forum.

I agree. Right now I have a supply of Lagavulin 16 (my all time favorite) Macallan 18, Laphroig 10, Glenfiddich 18. Oban and Tallisker stick in my mind as some I've enjoyed recently. I don't however have any pairing to suggest, as of yet.

I paired Lagavulin with a Siglo VI a few days ago out of necessity. The siglo only had about 20 days in my humidor, but I couldn't wait any longer. Maybe these require a lot of age, but this was very harsh to my tastebuds. I brought out the scotch to help mangage the harshness, with some success. I'm afraid I wasted a very pricey and desired stick in my haste to experience the "buzz" about this cigar. I got, instead, a buzz in my head and a burnt palate. Live and learn.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of Scotch. Not that my handle couldnt prove that. But I earned it from homebrewing beer with Peat smoked malts. I would say the best Scotch I had was sitting in the Scottish Whisky Heritage Museum near the Edinburgh Castle, Scotland. It was the Glenfiddich 1961 Reserve which if the bottles still exist set ya back around $1000. I turned this guy that runs the local B&M into a Scotch *****. He gave me some Ellegance and I cant remember who makes it and it costs like $500 for a bottle. It comes in a crystal decanter like an old still. It was so good. I also drink alot of Balvenie and if you can find the Balvenie 17yo Islay get it since its no longer made.

I'm currently nursing a bottle from Caol Ila which is 18yo. It was a gift. If you really want to learn about Scotch, there is a dvd series put out called The Malt Project. Its very informative about the Distilleries in Scotch. It runs around $150 but its for the dedicated Scotch drinker.

My new favorite is Glenlivet 15yrs.

» Finally someone mentioned Caol Ila. Never had the 18, but the 12 year is

» absolutely wonderful.

The 18yo is just heaven in a glass. I've traveled to Scotland twice just to drink Scotch. You can get a bottle of the 18yo for $58 to $65 per bottle. You cant go wrong with it. It leaves a wonderful smoky after taste in your mouth. It isnt overpowering either. Just really balanced. A must have if you like Scotch. I can say this it goes well will the Cubans I've had while drinking this stuff.

If you ever get a bottle of Peaty Scotch, here is a tip for you. Pour it in a glass and dilute it down. In fact, its meant to be diluted according to the Masters in Scotland. It helps to bring out all the qualities in the Scotch. I seldom dilute any Scotch myself but I do let it sit and air out in the glass for hours. It really changes the Scotch in the glass to some other beast that I love.

I cant stress this enough if you really love Scotch and want to get a DVD set that costs about $150, the money is well spent on it. The Malt Project is AWESOME and very informative. I've watched the first set. It has 5 volumes and they are putting a 6th out. Each volume has 2 dvds to it.

Rarely do I do this, but I picked up a bottle of something I'd never had before, solely because it was CHEAP (duty-free honeymoon to the USVI).

I'm curious as to any thoughts about The Glenlivet 21 year single malt; also if any of you are familiar with it, what do you like to smoke with it? Thanks guys!;-)

Oh! I also picked up a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold. Never had that before either...The salesman told me to freeze it to really enjoy the best flavor of this particular blend. Apparently, the rep.'s from JW passed that along to him...anyone ever tried this?

Guest mr. snappy

Try to get your hands on a bottle of Lagavulin 12 year old. Very different from the 16 - less peaty, smoother, and a little sweet - but just as good. Packs a wallop as the alc. content is very high.

I used to like Talisker, but after drinking Lagavulin for a while (16 and 12), I don't really enjoy many of the others anymore.