HdM Le Hoyo du Dauphin (RSE ES00)

Wanted to smoke something a bit different last night, so I dug out a du Dauphin from a recent purchase. Has some decent age on it, so I went out to the smoking room to enjoy. Here are my thoughts:

This is a vitola that I am finding more and more pleasing. 6 inches long, 38 ring gauge, with a nice pig-tail. The wrapper was a medium brown and exhibited few veins and clean seams. The triple-cap and pig-tail were well applied. Aesthetically, a very nice cigar. The pre-light nose was mild, mostly of wood with some leather and hints of sweet spice mixed in. I clipped it and was greated with the most wonderful pre-light draw.

I applied the torch and tested the draw once again...perfect. I love when a small ring-gauge vitola has a draw like this. The smoke production was off the charts, each easy puff coaxing abundant mouthfuls of rich, dense smoke. Perfect for smoke-rings. The cigar burned absolutely even all the way down...no corrections needed. The ash was dark gray and mottled, a bit flakey, but not too bad. I was careful in smoking this cigar...I did not want it to get hot. It didn't. Stayed cool down the point where I was smelling burning flesh (my fingers). Great construction.

Now the taste. I would classify this cigar as medium bodied. The predominent flavor was one of wood, kind of an exotic wood (I'm comparing tastes to smells). It had a touch of leather here and there, but they were fleeting. The most interesting thing about the cigar were these little bursts of sweetness. Every third puff or so, I would get a burst of sweetness...maybe molassas, maybe caramel, maybe vanilla. Whatever it was...it was great. Kept me interested and wanting to try another.

This is an example of a cigar that provided more than was expected. I was hoping for a good smoke and it granted a very interesting smoke with great construction. I am looking forward to my next. I found some similarities between this cigar and the Le Hoyo des Deiux, thought the des Deiux was richer. For the du Dauphin, I score it an B+ (88-89)...I really enjoyed it.

» Wanted to smoke something a bit different last night, so I dug out a du

» Dauphin from a recent purchase. Has some decent age on it, so I went out

» to the smoking room to enjoy. Here are my thoughts:

»

» HdM Le Hoyo du Dauphin (RSE ES00)

»

» This is a vitola that I am finding more and more pleasing. 6 inches long,

» 38 ring gauge, with a nice pig-tail. The wrapper was a medium brown and

» exhibited few veins and clean seams. The triple-cap and pig-tail were

» well applied. Aesthetically, a very nice cigar. The pre-light nose was

» mild, mostly of wood with some leather and hints of sweet spice mixed in.

» I clipped it and was greated with the most wonderful pre-light draw.

»

» I applied the torch and tested the draw once again...perfect. I love when

» a small ring-gauge vitola has a draw like this. The smoke production was

» off the charts, each easy puff coaxing abundant mouthfuls of rich, dense

» smoke. Perfect for smoke-rings. The cigar burned absolutely even all the

» way down...no corrections needed. The ash was dark gray and mottled, a bit

» flakey, but not too bad. I was careful in smoking this cigar...I did not

» want it to get hot. It didn't. Stayed cool down the point where I was

» smelling burning flesh (my fingers). Great construction.

»

» Now the taste. I would classify this cigar as medium bodied. The

» predominent flavor was one of wood, kind of an exotic wood (I'm comparing

» tastes to smells). It had a touch of leather here and there, but they

» were fleeting. The most interesting thing about the cigar were these

» little bursts of sweetness. Every third puff or so, I would get a burst

» of sweetness...maybe molassas, maybe caramel, maybe vanilla. Whatever it

» was...it was great. Kept me interested and wanting to try another.

»

» This is an example of a cigar that provided more than was expected. I was

» hoping for a good smoke and it granted a very interesting smoke with great

» construction. I am looking forward to my next. I found some similarities

» between this cigar and the Le Hoyo des Deiux, thought the des Deiux was

» richer. For the du Dauphin, I score it an B+ (88-89)...I really

» enjoyed it.

Great review! I have a few des Deiux that I just got, and since you mentioned it was similar to the du Dauphin, I think I may just have to try one tonight.

• 5 months later...

I've been revisiting some cigars here lately. Seeing if my initial impressions would remain after a few months. I pulled this cigar out last night. Here are my thoughts:

This cigar has a medium-brown wrapper, smooth with few veins. The seams are fairly tight, though visible, and the triple-cap and pigtail are very well applied and neat. The pre-light nose was very mild. There was some woodiness and maybe some leather, but nothing huge. I clipped the end and was treated to a semi-firm draw. Showed promise.

I lit the cigar with my torch and tested the draw. Still firm, but the smoked production surpassed adequate by a ways. Each puff brought a solid mouthful of medium-thick smoke...nice for smoke rings. The cigar burned even all the way down, having a razor sharp burn line. Very little resin could be seen near the fire. The ash was light to medium gray and firm, with excellent striations. The smoke was cool down to the end. Just past midway, the cigar tightened up a bit, but an ashing and a quick purge seemed to open it back up.

I think the taste of this cigar was even better than the last that I reviewed here. The predominant taste was woodiness...exotic wood. There was the essence of cedar mixed with teak and a wonderful sandalwood flavor (or is that smell??) provided an excellent overtone. In fact, this cigar probably provided the most pleasant woody notes of any that I have smoked. As the cigar neared the midway mark, there was some definite sweetness...most closely described by burnt sugar. As the cigar neared the end, some of the woodiness diminished and the dominant flavor became good tobacco with some sweet-burnt sugar notes. An excellent tasting cigar.

I truely enjoyed this cigar. The construction was good, the tastes were pronounced...nothing bad to say. My favorite of the Le Hoyo line is still the Des Dieux, but the Du Dauphin is great for a change up. I rate this cigar an A-(90-91).

» Great review! I just got a box of 02 Des Dieux's from the Prez and they are

» fantastic smokes, I'm very happy with that purchase.....

»

» I look forward to trying the rest of the Le Hoyo series (also dig the

» Depute). :-P

And thanks to Id's generosity, I had one of those Des Dieux's and it was off the chart. Looks like some of those will be ordered too.

» Very nicely written review. Of the Le Hoyo series, I have only had the

» pleasure to smoke the Des Dieux, which I enjoy. Thanks for a great review.

» :ok:

Chuck, I'll fix you up with a du Dauphin and du Prince when we get together next month.

» The Le Hoyo Series be very good but very underated. X:-P

Indeed. And I am dismayed at all raves they are getting especially since the de Dieux in cabs are being discontinued. I've had a couple of years with them being under the radar but with this new popularity, I am going to have to scoop up all I can.:-P