LE\'s and in general - the word from Havana

Ken Gargett

Hi guys,

can’t remember if I posted this (and can’t find it if I did - not flash with these computer things). Was for chasing info re the Limited Edition box codes to help identify if there are any fakes out there - hopefully not.

This from my deep throat in Cuba (and don’t get too excited - he is a bloke).

“Sorry to say that I don’t have the factory codes for Limited editions so far. None of us have that information, otherwise I will be grateful to help you. Fighting fake cigars is considered one of the major tasks we are facing out of our borders but you can guide through specific indicators that allow you to be careful at the time of purchasing. First, look at the official seals on the box. You know, the government seal, the holographic seal, the Habanos Stick on the top right corner and of course, your import seal. Later on, you should look at the bottom and see if they are iron stamped by us and also the factory code. So far, so good. But, counterfeiting may go beyond in some cases. Everything on the outside could be OK but the quality of the Habanos is not good. Check the bands. Bear in mind that they are applied showing the best face of the cigar upwards. Once the box is open you must also check the quality of the wrapper and hold the cigar in your hand and then use all your senses. Sometimes even the wrapper may look acceptable in the up layer, but you have to check the second layer too. Then, see if the wrapper is good, oily, even and not veiny. Look carefully which order the cigars follows. Remember they are graded from dark to light; from left to right across the box. If that pattern is not well defined, you are facing a forgery.

But in minimum cases you could find that even those aspects are good. After smelling (very important!) you have nothing to do but smoking one. And then, you are trapped! Your money is no longer yours because you are not allowed to smoke a cigar without buying the whole box. The most important is that you have reduced all the visible risks at the time of buying. That’s what a keen cigar smoker always does. Back at our theoretical box: the cigar (depending on your election) may taste awful from the very start. Then, as I would do, I will open the cigar and see what is wrong. Surprise! Nothing but banana leaves and non specified materials. Next step is kissing your money good bye and be smarter by buying in stores. Note that it’s best to lose half of your money than all your money. Anyway life is to short to smoke cheap cigars and drink tricked wine.”

All very sound advice Ken, good job. I will also point out that some of the recently seen early EL counterfeits are indeed very well done, and your best assurance of buying only a genuine Habanos product is to know and trust your vendor.

One of the biggest red flags is to find a vendor that has a seemingly endless supply of the early EL's for sale at attractive prices. The genuine early EL's such as the Partagas Piramide, the Monte Robusto, the Monte DC, the RyJ Robusto, etc. are very scarce commodities these days, and anyone should use extreme caution in purchasing these cigars from an unknown source.

Thanks, Ken for the heads up. There are a lot of people concerned about fake EL's now that new distributions of 2001's are showing up on a lot of websites, including vendors with good reputations.

Please keep us posted on any news and advice in this area.

»

» your best assurance of buying only a genuine Habanos product is to know

» and trust your vendor.

»

»

I have but one vendor. I sure hope I can trust him. By the way Pres. are you getting my emails and having trouble sending to me?

• 4 months later...

had a note back from my mate in havana. he has nothing further on this at the moment. seems he got lumbered with two jobs as someone had the poor form to die on the job months ago and has not been replaced and in his spare time, he is busy dodging a grumpy husband. so everything normal in havana.

• 1 month later...