Punch Royal Selection No. 11 (RPO LL00)

cigardawg

OK, this was the last Habanos I smoked over the long weekend. I went to visit with the local tobacconist and lit this one up as we talked.

Punch Royal Selection No. 11 (RPO LL00)

This was a good looking cigar with a smooth, light-brown wrapper. There were no significant veins and the seams were next to invisible. The triple cap was a thing of beauty. The nose was slightly sweet earth with just a hint of pepper/spiciness. I clipped it and tested the draw...perfect.

As I lit the cigar, the draw stayed perfect. It was open, but not too open. Each puff was rewarded with obscene amounts of thick, rich smoke. Great billows floated around my head and it made for great smoke rings. The cigar burned even throughout the smoking experience, no touch-ups or corrections necessary. The smoked stayed cool down the nub. The ash was medium gray and fairly firm. Overall, great construction.

The taste...well, let's just say it was a bit milder-bodied version of the Royal Selection No. 12. There was that same "punchiness," but with less kick. The flavors were of sweet earth with just hints of wood. The wood picked up to balance a little more, but mostly it was that sweet earth that I identify with Punch. Surprisingly, I did not get any of the pepper that came across on the nose. Really an excellent tasting cigar.

This was good, but not as good at the RS12. It just did not have the depth of flavor that the smaller cigar had. However, I still love these. I give this sample an A (90-91).

Thanks for the review, Dawg. The RS 11 is my favorite Punch CG, next to the SS2. It also matures much sooner, and can be ripe within three to four years. I have smoked '01's, which are not as flavorful as the '03's, and my recent box of MAR'05 show great promise.

• 3 months later...