Sir Paul McCartney Roasts Bruce Springsteen at the Ivor Novello Awards Show

For Ken...

Sir Paul McCartney Roasts Bruce Springsteen at Awards Show: 'He's Never Worked a Day in His Life'

Springsteen received a prestigious songwriting honor at the 2024 Ivor Novello Awards in London on May 23

By Becca Longmire - Published on May 24, 2024 

image.png.3fdfe9c5197711bce8c21e66c807ab85.png

Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney at the 2024 Ivor Novello Awards. PHOTO: HOGAN MEDIA/SHUTTERSTOCK

Paul McCartney is roasting Bruce Springsteen.

On Thursday, May 23, McCartney, 81, presented Springsteen, 74, with a prestigious songwriting honor at the 2024 Ivor Novello Awards in London — and didn't hold back on poking fun at his longtime friend. 

"He's known as being the American working man, but he admits he’s never worked a day in his life. It's true," the Beatles star said in a video shared on X (formerly known as Twitter), while introducing his fellow rocker at the Grosvenor House Hotel.

Springsteen became the first-ever international songwriter to be inducted into the Academy's Fellowship in its 80-year history, per the Ivors Academy website, with the award being "the highest honor the organization bestows." Previous winners include Adele, Sting, Amy Winehouse, John Lennon, Kate Bush and McCartney.

image.png.3f9deac4c02c232b7b36331a17917e83.png

Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney at the 2012 Grammy Awards. PHOTO: KEVIN MAZUR/WIREIMAGE

McCartney called Springsteen a "lovely, lovely boy," after joking that he "couldn't think of a more fitting" international musician to receive the honor, per the BBC.

"Except maybe Bob Dylan... Or Paul Simon, or Billy Joel, or Beyoncé, or Taylor Swift. The list goes on," McCartney joked.

He went on to present the award to Springsteen while the crowd shouted "Bruce."

"I'm going to sound really weird up here because I sang in the rain all night last night," Springsteen said on stage, referencing his show in Sunderland, England on Wednesday, May 22 amid heavy rainfall in the U.K.

image.png.5ffbb0b407601a26deaffb59e94eebf6.png

Bruce Springsteen, with the E Street Band, on stage at Murrayfield, Edinburgh. PHOTO: JANE BARLOW/PA IMAGES VIA GETTY

Insisting he never thought about canceling the show, Springsteen went on, "We came out last night, and I was like, 'What is this weather? Driving rain, wind roaring," per the BBC.

"But standing in front of me, in the rain, I realized: These are my people," the "Dancing in the Dark" hitmaker added.

Springsteen also recalled first heading to London back in 1975, admitting he now considers the U.K. to be a second home. However, he wasn't entirely sold at first.

"The airplane food was not so great, and my first thought when we landed at Heathrow was, 'Where's all the cheeseburgers?' " the musician joked, per the outlet.

image.png.b4746d658de2fc6037728128e8066782.png

Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen perform at Glastonbury Festival in 2022. PHOTO: SAMIR HUSSEIN/WIREIMAGE

"The cheeseburgers had either been hidden or replaced by something called fish and chips. It was a little disconcerting," he added.

"Then our next stop was the Hammersmith Odeon, where I was greeted by a huge sign announcing: 'London is finally ready for Bruce Springsteen,' " Springsteen continued. "And all I thought was, 'If London isn't ready for a cheeseburger, they may not be ready for me!' "

Springsteen and McCartney have performed together multiple times over the years, with them taking to the stage at the Glastonbury Festival in 2022 during McCartney's headline set.

Springsteen performed "I Wanna Be Your Man" and his own "Glory Days" with the former Beatle at the festival, which also saw Dave Grohl make an appearance.

Source: https://people.com/paul-mccartney-roasts-bruce-springsteen-london-8653509

This is from Madison Square Garden a few years back.

D6334671-1B30-4CF1-9AEF-AAC56F5AA4DF.jpeg.9bcfe9e2120de0e9c30f5960e18eddc2.jpeg

3BBDFEBA-1AA2-45B5-BA8E-4E41275437E4.jpeg.72ab5082b586af24f6ea2be3176f8f4c.jpeg

I have a funny Paul McCartney story. Paul’s summer home is in the same town as mine. It’s a small town so we see him around a lot. Restaurants, riding his bike, etc. But I don’t want to bother him so I never talk to him. 

One day, I’m sitting on the grass in a park area in the center of town, reading something on my phone when I hear in an English accent “Hey! I’ve heard of them!” So I look up and it’s Paul pointing at my chest. I look at my chest and realize I’m wearing a Beatles shirt. By the time I looked back up again he had already turned around and was walking away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

i have a good mate who sued him. not sure that counts as funny. 

It could be. Depends on what he sued him for.

• Like 1

BS is Overrated and a whiny voice his band makes him look good. Now Paul McCartney is the real Boss ! Very talented Songwriter and a real musician who can play just about any instrument.   

🙂

7 hours ago, Jimmy2 said:

BS is Overrated and a whiny voice his band makes him look good. Now Paul McCartney is the real Boss ! Very talented Songwriter and a real musician who can play just about any instrument.  

🙂

morning jimmy. whatever one thinks of mccartney (did i hear someone suggest a poor man's lennon?), and he was undoubtedly a talented songwriter, the Boss remains the great rock and roll performer of all time (or thereabouts if someone really has an alternate they prefer).

you are right when you say 'his band'. not as though he walked onto a stage and they were there. he found every one of them, included them, and they play what he wants, when he wants and the way he wants. i remember one concert when the band was just not clicking for one song. he roasted them and made them start again until they got it right. they are not on stage playing play songs by danny or clarence of stevie. if the band makes him look good it is because he controls the band and gives them the material to do it. 

the E Street Band is basically a group of paid musicians. they don't share profits. he simply employs them for tours or recording sessions. which is why you see them doing other stuff. mind you, as he says, they are the highest paid employed musicians on the planet. 

Ken me and you have been going over this since the early 2000’s about Bruce …

Bruce 👎 

😀

55 minutes ago, Jimmy2 said:

Ken me and you have been going over this since the early 2000’s about Bruce …

Bruce 👎 

😀

i know Jimmy, and i also know that one day, you'll get it right!!! 

i will concede that on the evidence of the video above, his voice has perhaps hit the wall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i know Jimmy, and i also know that one day, you'll get it right!!! 

i will concede that on the evidence of the video above, his voice has perhaps hit the wall. 

apparently last night's concert in France cancelled due to vocal issues. we all get old!