Which cigar would you choose if you went to this particular cigar get together?

Which cigar would you choose if you went to this particular cigar get together?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, PigFish said:

Whichever’s easiest to cut down the middle and share with another person who enjoys thin ring cigars!

Generous offer though.🐷

New understanding of a ‘canoe’ 😆

• Like 1

All are great choices and my choice would depend on the day. Right now I’d have to go with the Trinidad. But tomorrow dip 2 or d4. Changes by day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, westg said:

Tough one John 

Party 3 for me. You Sydney boys are just animals,  going at it for four days. Still if any one can do it , you guys can. 

Haha...I wish! The get together started on Thursday night, although one of us showed up on Friday. Now he's a true party animal! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of what was smoked and what was left over. 

• Like 2

What transpired on the night was as follows:

1. The first three guests arrived at around the same time. They chose the Partagas Maduro No.3, Partagas Presidentes and Diplomaticos No.2 respectively, for the reason of trying something that weren't too familiar with or hadn't tried in recent times.
  2. My son, George arrived soon after and had the Trinidad Coloniales because he wanted to smoke a petit coronas-sized cigar and he hasn't had Trinidad for awhile. He was familiar with the Le Hoyo line, as he has smoked a few well-aged des Dieux, so he tried the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan next.
  3. The next guest that arrived selected the Diplomaticos No.2, as he hadn't sampled it for some time.
  4. The guest that sampled the Partagas Maduro No.3 found it to be quite an "un-Partagas" cigar, let's say, so he politely acquired if he could try the other Partagas Presidentes. Since he gifted me a 2005 Montecristo D Limited Edition cigar on the night, of course I insisted he try it.
  5. The last guest, who had another professional engagement on the night and came much later, selected the other Trinidad Coloniales; that being the cigar that he hadn't had for some time.

So, in summary, there was one Partagas Maduro No.3, one Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan and both Partagas Serie D No.4s left over. I smoked the Partagas Maduro No.3 and Partagas Serie D No.4 for my Smoking Blog series and returned the other two cigars to their boxes for further rest.

If I had the choice out of all those cigars, I would choose the Partagas Serie D No.4, aged ten years, because I have experience with all those cigars and with my experience what I value is a simple, quality aged cigar. In fact, I said much the same to El Pres in a ZOOM meeting last year when we were talking about this subject and he just nodded and smiled, demonstrating that he understood that sentiment. But that's me, and the choice of cigar is dependent upon the need of the enthusiast themselves. The poll attached to this thread, for example, amply shows that we collectively miss supplies of Diplomaticos No.2 since the price re-adjustments by Habanos S.A. in mid-2022.

So what was the consensus among the crew on all the other cigars? Just the look of those Dip 2 made my mouth water.

• Like 1

That's a good question; one that I was certainly very conscious of on the night. In general, the consensus on the cigars smoked was much in line with what I've stated in recent reviews on these cigars in my Smoking Blog. To expand further:

1. The Partagas Presidentes was noted for its change in blend from being a Earthy, leathery and heavy blend in the long-term past to being more like the average Partagas cigar of the last few years (more so COVID and post-COVID). In other words, softer or lighter, more sourdough and coffee.
  2. The Trinidad Coloniales was appreciated for its smoothness, on account of its age. It wasn't as savoury as the Trinidad 50th Anniversary releases, for example (i.e. the Media Luna, Esmeralda and Topes); rather, it had a balanced blend of coffee, leather, hay and nut flavours.
  3. The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan had nowhere near the cream that a well-aged HDM Le Hoyo des Dieux can give you; still, it packed flavour (think a mix of cream, cedar, tea and vanilla spice) and was easy to smoke.
  4. The Diplomaticos No.2 had every evidence of having sourdough, wood and especially bell pepper (or capsicum) but because they were eight years old the savoury aspects of this cigar were much easier on the palate than a youthful example.
  5. The Partagas Maduro No.3 was not appreciated in the same way like the other cigars on the night because it was so different to an average Partagas cigar. Furthermore, the cocoa aspects to this cigar seemed strange to the enthusiast who was smoking it.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Dip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:51 PM, JohnS said:

Haha...I wish! The get together started on Thursday night, although one of us showed up on Friday. Now he's a true party animal! 😆

I wonder who that could have been? :whistle: :lookaround:

• Haha 1