Sudden drop to 58% - 60% humidity

AllorNothing

Ironic that my previous post was humidor choice for singles… but the underlying reason was because both my humidors 3 days ago dropped to 58-60% RH. 

Got both of them in the summer. One is NC at 69% and one is CC at 65%. Both dropped to 58-60%. 

I moved them from my room to the basement where it’s not near any windows. I replaced my old hygrometers with Govee ones that just came in today from Amazon… still no change. 

My humidor hygrometer that it comes with is reading 68% for NC and 65% for CC. 

I'm not sure what to do here… any suggestions? I’m having trouble believing it’s the seal because this hasn’t happened since I got it.

Have their been any temperature swings? I'm guessing it's reading "consistently" at the RH you mentioned, but at what temperature? Was the RH and Temp reading consistent before the move? Did you move the humidor after adding the cigars/cab? Did you add 25 singles and a 25 cab with 25 additional cigars in it (for a total of 50 new cigars in the humidor)? What are you using for humidification? 

And certainly adding cigars could cause some fluctuation. 

Sorry for the string of questions. I'm waiting for Pig to pop up. 

The good news is it's all going to be fine, pretty much regardless. 

7 hours ago, free85 said:

Have their been any temperature swings? I'm guessing it's reading "consistently" at the RH you mentioned, but at what temperature? Was the RH and Temp reading consistent before the move? Did you move the humidor after adding the cigars/cab? Did you add 25 singles and a 25 cab with 25 additional cigars in it (for a total of 50 new cigars in the humidor)? What are you using for humidification? 

And certainly adding cigars could cause some fluctuation. 

Sorry for the string of questions. I'm waiting for Pig to pop up. 

The good news is it's all going to be fine, pretty much regardless. 

No temp change and always consistent at about 67 F. RH dropped before the move and after the 50 new cigars were added. But it’s been maybe 5 days since anything has been added. Humidors moved after the drop in RH as I thought sunlight from my bedroom window caused the drop. Using 5 boveda 60gs per humidor. Each humidor has 100-125 cigars.

7 hours ago, BatFastard said:

Have you calibrated your Govees? Salt Test/Boveda Calibration Test? I would start there...

No, I will but it’s reading the same RH and Temp as my old hygrometer. Maybe both are not calibrated, but unlikely as my old hygrometer was reading 65 RH in my CC humidor consistently before the drop.

If you've added 50 cigars and a cabinet to your humidor there's potential for an adjustment period, depending on how the cigars and cabinet were kept. 

What are you using as a humidor? If the temperature is stable, and there's a known quantity of "water" in the closed humidor things are going to level out.

3 minutes ago, AllorNothing said:

No I will but it’s reading the same RH and Temp as my old hygrometer… maybe both not calibrated but unlikely as my old hygrometer was reading 65 RH in my CC humidor consistently before the drop 

My Govees were out a couple percentage points when I calibrated using a Boveda calibration kit... Just sayin..

7 hours ago, free85 said:

If you've added 50 cigars and a cabinet to your humidor there's potential for an adjustment period, depending on how the cigars and cabinet were kept. 

What are you using as a humidor? If the temperature is stable, and there's a known quantity of "water" in the closed humidor things are going to level out.

https://www.amazon.ca/Woodronic-Handmade-Humidor-Cabinet-100-150/dp/B08CDFK18T

Sorry 25 cigars and a cabinet. Cabinet is tight in the bottom shelve (too high it’s touching the bottom of the second shelf). Taking pictures in a bit. once I finish my Petit Bolivar cigar.

Here's what I would do, personally: Wait, observe, and smoke something from the humidor in the next few days.

The cigars themselves are humidity buffers, of a sort. If the humidor starts ticking up and the cigars are smoking well: Joy

If the humidor does not start ticking up and the cigars are smoking well: Medium joy, and consider checking the calibration or your humidification/humidor setup. If the humidor does/does not start ticking up and the cigars are smoking poorly: more rigorous investigation into the humidor and your humidification method itself comes on the table. 

I use a large coolerdor with an HTC temp controller wired to a chest freezer and a data logger. The above is my thought process for maintaining my stock; Data is good, but I contextualize it against what's going on with the cigars as well (are the cigars happy/or sad?). 

1 hour ago, AllorNothing said:

Recent events: in the past two weeks I put 25 new singles and a 25 wooden cab

It’s possible that the 25 new singles and/or cab could have been under humidified and are currently drawing the humidity down. You could pull them out and place them in a separate container to check. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, free85 said:

Here's what I would do, personally: Wait, observe, and smoke something from the humidor in the next few days.

The cigars themselves are humidity buffers, of a sort. If the humidor starts ticking up and the cigars are smoking well: Joy

If the humidor does not start ticking up and the cigars are smoking well: Medium joy, and consider checking the calibration or your humidification/humidor setup. If the humidor does/does not start ticking up and the cigars are smoking poorly: more rigorous investigation into the humidor and your humidification method itself comes on the table. 

I use a large coolerdor with an HTC temp controller wired to a chest freezer and a data logger. The above is my thought process for maintaining my stock; Data is good, but I contextualize it against what's going on with the cigars as well (are the cigars happy/or sad?). 

That’s exactly what I’ll do. I won’t open it this week though as I took out my cigars for the rest of week. Can you check the two new videos I posted? 

6 hours ago, MossybackR said:

It’s possible that the 25 new singles and/or cab could have been under humidified and are currently drawing the humidity down. You could pull them out and place them in a separate container to check. 

I just added two videos of my setup in my initial post

What percentage Boveda packs are using? According to the link that you gave for the humidor, I put the dimensions into Boveda's website, and it says you need 8 (60 grams) packets.

Also, I use the govee hygrometer as well. They work well, but they do need to be calibrated. I try to do mine every 4 months with a 75% Boveda pack. Funny, I just completed this today 😄 

5 hours ago, BossHogg said:

What percentage Boveda packs are using? According to the link that you gave for the humidor, I put the dimensions into Boveda's website, and it says you need 8 (60 grams) packets.

Also, I use the govee hygrometer as well. They work well, but they do need to be calibrated. I try to do mine every 4 months with a 75% Boveda pack. Funny, I just completed this today 😄 

I’m using 60 grams. I thought it was 1 60gram per 25 cigars. I have 100-125 per humidor.

Deep breath. 

Use your fingers to feel the cigars. Are they indeed "dry" or "drying"?

Anomalies occur. If you have a good seal, a correct RH reading (calibrate!), the correct Boveda balance, your cigars will be fine. 

If you drink, have one. Smoke a cigar.....do they smoke right?......good. It's Valentines day, go on a date, get laid or not. 

Chill. Cigars are tough little buggers.  ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Deep breath. 

Use your fingers to feel the cigars. Are they indeed "dry" or "drying"?

Anomalies occur. If you have a good seal, a correct RH reading (calibrate!), the correct Boveda balance, your cigars will be fine. 

If you drink, have one. Smoke a cigar.....do they smoke right?......good. It's Valentines day, go on a date, get laid or not. 

Chill. Cigars are tough little buggers.  ;)

Hahah all good points. I will give this a rest (pun intended).

5 hours ago, AllorNothing said:

I’m using 60 grams. I thought it was 1 60gram per 25 cigars. I have 100-125 per humidor

They have two different ways to calculate it. Yes, you are correct. If you go by how many cigars are in there, then it says 6 of them. If you go by the dimensions it says 8. You are probably fine there. I see you say that you use the 60 grams, but at what humidity?

Also, @El Presidente is giving solid advice. Feeling them and smoking them is the best to go by 👍 

They have two different ways to calculate it. Yes, you are correct. If you go by how many cigars are in there, then it says 6 of them. If you go by the dimensions it says 8. You are probably fine there. I see you say that you use the 60 grams, but at what humidity?

Also, @El Presidente is giving solid advice. Feeling them and smoking them is the best to go by 👍 

NC using 69% and CCs using 65%.

5 hours ago, AllorNothing said:

NC using 69% and CCs using 65%.

Ah, gotcha 👍 I thought your first reference to those numbers were just stating what the humidity was at before it dropped and not necessarily the Boveda pack numbers 😆 

Honestly, I think the cigars that you added might be doing the change. But like @free85stated, I would wait, observe , and smoke. 👍 

Ah, gotcha 👍 I thought your first reference to those numbers were just stating what the humidity was at before it dropped and not necessarily the boveda pack numbers 😆 

Honestly, I think the cigars that you added might be doing the change. But like @free85stated, I would wait, observe , and smoke. 👍

Just added another Boveda in each humidor lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chasy said:

@El Presidente what is the best RH to optimize my chance of getting laid? I’ve had it at 72 and really not getting ideal outcomes. Lower? Higher?

Higher RH. Try spit.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AllorNothing said:

As I thought, sunlight from my bedroom window caused the drop.

And you're probably right, direct sunlight is your enemy. No need to worry though, all the comments above are spot on. 👌

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Sudden drop to 58% - 60% humidity