Let's Talk: Green Bays Packer placekicker Anders Carlson

JohnS

If you are wondering who Anders Carlson is, he is the current American football placekicker for the Green Bay Packers.

Why are we discussing him?  According to Wikipedia, (I know, I know...not a great source to quote but hey, it's handy for getting information summarised in one place) Carlson was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the sixth round (207th overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft.  He signed his rookie contract on May 5.

In his rookie season Carlson led the NFL in missed field goals with thirteen. In the Divisional Round playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers, Carlson missed two field goals, one of which would have given the Packers a six point lead and forced the 49ers to tie the game rather than take the lead. Head coach Matt LaFleur and Carlson's Packer teammates came out in support of Carlson, with LaFleur stating that Carlson's missed kicks were not the sole reason for the loss.

It's nice to know that Green Bay packers head coach, Matt LaFleur has confidence in the young rookie. In fact, just this week he had re-iterated much the same in the following article...

Matt LaFleur says the Packers are fully committed to rookie kicker Anders Carlson

GREEN BAY – The Green Bay Packers aren’t looking for another kicker.

Not for this year or next year.

Asked about rookie kicker Anders Carlson and his 12 missed kicks this year, including a missed extra point in the 48-32 victory over Dallas in the wild-card round of the playoffs, coach Matt LaFleur made it clear that Carlson is their guy.

“We’re committed to him,” LaFleur said Wednesday after the Packers practiced in preparation for their divisional-round playoff game at San Francisco. “And we’re going to see this thing through.”

71953449007-gpg-pack-vs-bucs-121723-970-ttm.webp.6c591f5cefe9ea6d3e97087e40d20195.webp

Carlson, the second of the team’s two sixth-round draft picks in the 2023 draft, has missed six field goals and six extra points this season. After making his first two extra points, he missed after Dontayvion Wicks’ 20-yard touchdown catch late in the first half Sunday.

His kick hit the right upright, which is atypical of his PAT misses this year, most of which went left. Dallas Pro Bowl kicker Brandon Aubrey also hit the right upright on the same end of the field in the third quarter.

Carlson finished by hitting all three of his remaining extra-point attempts.

“You’d like him to bank every kick, no doubt about it,” LaFleur said. “But I think that’s just part of the growth process is, a lot of young especially kickers, go through some trials and tribulations, unfortunately. The one thing that’s been so great that you cannot coach is just the resiliency he’s shown because every time he misses one, he comes back and he's made them.

“So, we’d like to get through it without any hiccups. But, you know, again, I think it’s part of the process. I think it’s he’s still learning how to refine his game. And there’s still a lot more out there for him.”

Carlson had three touchbacks on his eight kickoffs but special teams coach Rich Bisaccia has been having him kick high rather than out of the end zone. Four of his other five kicks resulted in the Cowboys starting inside their 25-yard line, which is where they would get the ball after a touchback.

The exception was a 47-yard kick return at the end of the first half that set up the Cowboys’ first touchdown.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2024/01/17/rookie-kicker-anders-carlson-has-packers-coach-matt-lafleur-full-support-other-takeaways/72259681007/

However, just prior to yesterday's divisional game against the San Francisco 49'ers, Matt LaFleur admittted that he PRAYS when kicker Anders Carlson heads onto the field...

Packers coach Matt LaFleur 'admits he PRAYS when kicker Anders Carlson heads onto the field' in shock confession shortly before missed 41-yard attempt in three-point 49ers loss

• Carlson made both attempts from the 20-29 yard range before the costly miss
  • The 49ers rallied behind Christian McCaffrey's two touchdowns to win the game 

By Leocciano Callao For Dailymail.Com

Published: 16:29 AEDT, 21 January 2024 | Updated: 16:32 AEDT, 21 January 2024

Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur has apparently confessed that he prays whenever kicker Anders Carlson takes the field. 

During their divisional playoff matchup against the San Francisco 49ers, LaFleur admitted his situational need of faith, which was reported by Fox Sports commentator Matt Rinaldi. 

'When we talked to the head coach Matt LaFleur about this, he basically said 'when he (Carlson) goes out there, I just pray,'' Rinaldi said on the broadcast. 

LaFleur's prayers were not heard as Carlson had a costly miss when it mattered most. The Packers were up, 21-17, in the fourth quarter when Carlson had the opportunity to extend their lead to seven. Unfortunately, his attempt went wide, barely missing the target from 41 yards. 

The Packers could have put the close game to bed with the field goal. Instead, the 49ers rallied from behind to secure a 24-21 win to advance to the NFC championship.

80269803-12988305-image-a-78_1705813721030.jpg.e1805cd8e71f23e903f9be96f749eaf6.jpg

Matt LaFleur admitted that he prays whenever place kicker Anders Carlson steps into the field

80269673-12988305-Carlson_missed_a_41_yard_attempt_that_lead_to_the_Packers_gettin-a-16_1705814603535.jpg.cbc61d5daf776e40634604f34c7233e2.jpg

Carlson missed a 41-yard attempt that lead to the Packers getting eliminated on Saturday 

Carlson went into the game with a 81.8 field goal percentage this season. The Auburn alum completed both attempts from the 20-29 yard range before the dreadful miss at crunch time.

San Francisco rallied behind star running back Christian McCaffrey who had 17 carries for 98 yards and two crucial touchdowns. Meanwhile, tight end George Kittle led the 49ers in receiving yards with 81 and a touchdown. 

Quarterback Brock Purdy completed 23 of 39 attempts for 252 yards and a touchdown. 

The Packers went into the game riding a four-game win streak including a wild card victory over the Cowboys. On the other hand, the top-seeded 49ers lost their season finale against the Rams and took a week off before overcoming Green Bay.

The 49ers will face the winner of Sunday's game between the Detroit Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the NFC title. 

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-12988305/matt-lafleur-pray-anders-carlson-packers-playoffs-49ers.html

Will Anders Carlson make it to his second season?

Did I jinx Buffalo Bills placekicker Tyler Bass in today's Divisional game against the Kansas City Chiefs today? "Wide right"…surely, two of the cruelest words in Buffalo sports history.

P.S. As an aftermath to today's Chiefs-Bills game, someone edited the Wikipedia article on Wide Right (Buffalo Bills) with the following:

In the Divisional round of the 2024 NFL playoffs against the Kansas City Chiefs, Norwood's son Tyler Bass missed a game-tying 44-yard kick to the right of the goalpost leading to the Bills' loss, which drew comparisons to the "Wide Right" kick.

Needless to say, the page has since been re-edited.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, JohnS said:

If you are wondering who Anders Carlson is, he is the current American football placekicker for the Green Bay Packers.

Why are we discussing him?  According to Wikipedia, (I know, I know...not a great source to quote but hey, it's handy for getting information summarised in one place) Carlson was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the sixth round (207th overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft.  He signed his rookie contract on May 5.

In his rookie season Carlson led the NFL in missed field goals with thirteen. In the Divisional Round playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers, Carlson missed two field goals, one of which would have given the Packers a six point lead and forced the 49ers to tie the game rather than take the lead. Head coach Matt LaFleur and Carlson's Packer teammates came out in support of Carlson, with LaFleur stating that Carlson's missed kicks were not the sole reason for the loss.

It's nice to know that Green Bay packers head coach, Matt LaFleur has confidence in the young rookie. In fact, just this week he had re-iterated much the same in the following article...

Matt LaFleur says the Packers are fully committed to rookie kicker Anders Carlson

GREEN BAY – The Green Bay Packers aren’t looking for another kicker.

Not for this year or next year.

Asked about rookie kicker Anders Carlson and his 12 missed kicks this year, including a missed extra point in the 48-32 victory over Dallas in the wild-card round of the playoffs, coach Matt LaFleur made it clear that Carlson is their guy.

“We’re committed to him,” LaFleur said Wednesday after the Packers practiced in preparation for their divisional-round playoff game at San Francisco. “And we’re going to see this thing through.”

71953449007-gpg-pack-vs-bucs-121723-970-ttm.webp.6c591f5cefe9ea6d3e97087e40d20195.webp

Carlson, the second of the team’s two sixth-round draft picks in the 2023 draft, has missed six field goals and six extra points this season. After making his first two extra points, he missed after Dontayvion Wicks’ 20-yard touchdown catch late in the first half Sunday.

His kick hit the right upright, which is atypical of his PAT misses this year, most of which went left. Dallas Pro Bowl kicker Brandon Aubrey also hit the right upright on the same end of the field in the third quarter.

Carlson finished by hitting all three of his remaining extra-point attempts.

“You’d like him to bank every kick, no doubt about it,” LaFleur said. “But I think that’s just part of the growth process is, a lot of young especially kickers, go through some trials and tribulations, unfortunately. The one thing that’s been so great that you cannot coach is just the resiliency he’s shown because every time he misses one, he comes back and he's made them.

“So, we’d like to get through it without any hiccups. But, you know, again, I think it’s part of the process. I think it’s he’s still learning how to refine his game. And there’s still a lot more out there for him.”

Carlson had three touchbacks on his eight kickoffs but special teams coach Rich Bisaccia has been having him kick high rather than out of the end zone. Four of his other five kicks resulted in the Cowboys starting inside their 25-yard line, which is where they would get the ball after a touchback.

The exception was a 47-yard kick return at the end of the first half that set up the Cowboys’ first touchdown.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2024/01/17/rookie-kicker-anders-carlson-has-packers-coach-matt-lafleur-full-support-other-takeaways/72259681007/

However, just prior to yesterday's divisional game against the San Francisco 49'ers, Matt LaFleur admittted that he PRAYS when kicker Anders Carlson heads onto the field...

Packers coach Matt LaFleur 'admits he PRAYS when kicker Anders Carlson heads onto the field' in shock confession shortly before missed 41-yard attempt in three-point 49ers loss

• Carlson made both attempts from the 20-29 yard range before the costly miss
  • The 49ers rallied behind Christian McCaffrey's two touchdowns to win the game 

By Leocciano Callao For Dailymail.Com

Published: 16:29 AEDT, 21 January 2024 | Updated: 16:32 AEDT, 21 January 2024

Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur has apparently confessed that he prays whenever kicker Anders Carlson takes the field. 

During their divisional playoff matchup against the San Francisco 49ers, LaFleur admitted his situational need of faith, which was reported by Fox Sports commentator Matt Rinaldi. 

'When we talked to the head coach Matt LaFleur about this, he basically said 'when he (Carlson) goes out there, I just pray,'' Rinaldi said on the broadcast. 

LaFleur's prayers were not heard as Carlson had a costly miss when it mattered most. The Packers were up, 21-17, in the fourth quarter when Carlson had the opportunity to extend their lead to seven. Unfortunately, his attempt went wide, barely missing the target from 41 yards. 

The Packers could have put the close game to bed with the field goal. Instead, the 49ers rallied from behind to secure a 24-21 win to advance to the NFC championship.

80269803-12988305-image-a-78_1705813721030.jpg.e1805cd8e71f23e903f9be96f749eaf6.jpg

Matt LaFleur admitted that he prays whenever place kicker Anders Carlson steps into the field

80269673-12988305-Carlson_missed_a_41_yard_attempt_that_lead_to_the_Packers_gettin-a-16_1705814603535.jpg.cbc61d5daf776e40634604f34c7233e2.jpg

Carlson missed a 41-yard attempt that lead to the Packers getting eliminated on Saturday 

Carlson went into the game with a 81.8 field goal percentage this season. The Auburn alum completed both attempts from the 20-29 yard range before the dreadful miss at crunch time.

San Francisco rallied behind star running back Christian McCaffrey who had 17 carries for 98 yards and two crucial touchdowns. Meanwhile, tight end George Kittle led the 49ers in receiving yards with 81 and a touchdown. 

Quarterback Brock Purdy completed 23 of 39 attempts for 252 yards and a touchdown. 

The Packers went into the game riding a four-game win streak including a wild card victory over the Cowboys. On the other hand, the top-seeded 49ers lost their season finale against the Rams and took a week off before overcoming Green Bay.

The 49ers will face the winner of Sunday's game between the Detroit Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the NFC title. 

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-12988305/matt-lafleur-pray-anders-carlson-packers-playoffs-49ers.html

Will Anders Carlson make it to his second season?

john, i think the bills must be very close to never kicking again, just going for it on fourth down and taking two-point conversions. 

john, you might also be risking your exalted position on FoH given rob is a bucs fan and who can forget the bucs drafting a kicker in the second round a few years ago. and then dumping him after a year. not only that, they traded up to get him! 

still, as ever, if there is a blunder to be had, you can bet the skins will take gold. there surely has never been such an awful selection as the redskins selecting cal rossi. for those unfamiliar, rossi was a highly talented running back and defensive back, in an era where players often played more than one position. the skins grabbed rossi with the 9th pick in the first round in 1946. the problem was that he was still a junior and therefore ineligible. they just wasted a pick. it got worse. so keen were they to have rossi that in 1947, when he was eligible, they took him in the first round with the 4th overall pick. woohoo! the problem was that no one had ever asked rossi if he wanted to play football. he didn't. so they wasted their first round pick two years running. beat that!! 

• Haha 3

As a Packers fan who had no confidence in Carlson leading into the 49ers game (and who had his perspective vindicated, to my disappointment but not surprise).......watching him miss all those extra points this year just royally sucked.  "You had one job" etc etc.

The Packers tend not to knee-jerk react to anything.  See - QB succession strategies.  It's generally worked. And Carlson has the distance capability in his leg. He just has the accuracy of a shotgun from 500 yds.  I suspect the Packers will not draft a replacement (unless you can find a Justin-Tucker-type, drafting a kicker is normally a waste of a pick), but they will sign a young UFA kicker, and a Veteran Kicker, and have an open competition in training camp.

I think a bigger and for us, harder problem, is the long snapper/holder.  A lot of Carlson's kicks had really lousy holds......and GB having Special Teams problems is the oldest story in the book (see - the LAST time the 49ers beat us in the NFCCG).

Probably the best solution? Beef up the O-Line so that Love + Co can run up the score with touchdowns unencumbered, and then try not to care if you end up with 6 or 7 points from each :rotfl:

• Like 1

The Packers are one of the most conservative organizations, if not the most conservative, in the league. 

Personally, I am unsurprised that a rookie struggled in his first year. Yes, I was disappointed by his miss in last weekend's game. I think it would be foolish to cut bait at this point. He has an absolute cannon of a leg. They allowed all their young talent to work through their issues this season, including some horrible drops from receivers and equally horrible accuracy from Love early on. I don't see why they don't let him have another go in the upcoming season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BettyHumpder said:

The Packers are one of the most conservative organizations, if not the most conservative, in the league. 

Personally, I am unsurprised that a rookie struggled in his first year. Yes, I was disappointed by his miss in last weekend's game. I think it would be foolish to cut bait at this point. He has an absolute cannon of a leg. They allowed all their young talent to work through their issues this season, including some horrible drops from receivers and equally horrible accuracy from Love early on. I don't see why they don't let him have another go in the upcoming season. 

Well, they may not cut bait, but they will definitely have a competition. They just signed K Jack Podlesny today....less than a week after getting eliminated.

At the very least, they will corner the market on guys that can't hit 3 points past 40 yards haha

• Like 1