Did Cohiba stop putting UV codes on their bands in 2023? myth or fact

I recently had access to a box of Cohiba Siglo VI, the cigars were certainly original.

After smoking them at the request of a friend, I decided to show him the security codes placed by Cohiba on their bands and I had an unpleasant surprise.

The CHBXXXX code was not on the band as well as the blue dots (these I didn't take into account because I know they may or may not be on the ring).

The response from the Habanos representative in my country when contacting Cuba was that Cohiba stopped putting such codes because the fake bands were coming with the same codes, and for this reason this feature was discontinued to make counterfeiting difficult, which to my way of thinking would do the exact opposite.😆😆😆

My question to the confreres is whether they have experienced the same situation?

Or it would be Cuba being Cuba.😎

some pics

2f96bb5b-c160-454c-934f-eabee593af2f.JPG

c17f82d9-bcec-43ed-9483-b0b030b8fe1d.JPG

cd9f8d91-44bd-4139-b4c7-490b31a85bb0.JPG

d6be19a0-ecd0-4d75-9f84-917af270cf7e.JPG

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

fe2228fc-c31a-4bed-b7e8-cc665eb5041c.JPG

• Thanks 1

Have asked this question before but it pertained to thinner gauge cigars and the response I got was that it was not uncommon on thinner gauge cigars because many times a larger band gets trimmed to fit the thin gauge and that code gets cut off.  They were sticks I got here so I really never gave much more thought to it after that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Silverstix said:

got was that it was not uncommon on thinner gauge cigars because many times a larger band gets trimmed to fit the thin gauge

I've certainly had this happen. Some CoLa I have had the code snipped off and a cab of Siglo I I have have some of the numbers only partially visible, with the rest getting cut off. As for it happening with a Sig VI though, I'm not sure. I believe it's a 54RG so I'm not sure there's a band big enough around that they'd have to clip to fit that size RG. 

Siglo VI has a 52 ring Gauge, the Band goes from 48 to 54.

I don't believe it was cut, but even if it were the UV code CHBXXXX would be present, what I've seen is the absence of the blue dots caused by the cut of the band.

Anyway, that's what Habanos in Havana communicated to us, I found it very interesting and decided to create the topic.

In July I got a five pack of Siglo IIs from a reputable grey market vendor and the UV codes were also gone from the labels.  However, each label still had from two to four UV blue rectangles in diagonal as before.  So maybe there's something to the brand purposely changing their bands.

10 hours ago, Namisgr11 said:

In July I got a five pack of Siglo IIs from a reputable gray market vendor and the UV codes were also gone from the labels...

As pointed out above, Cohibas with RGs 42 or less can have the CHBXXXX and/or Vrijdag mark cut off. But the blue squares should always be there. 

39 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

As pointed out above Cohibas with RGs 42 or less can have the CHBXXXX and/or Vrijdag mark cut off. But the blue squares should always be there. 

Duly noted, although I've not seen that happen before with my Siglo IIs.

1 hour ago, Namisgr11 said:

Duly noted, although I've not seen that happen before with my Siglo IIs.

It can happen. Doesn't mean it always does. There are designated 42 and under band sizes but since they make so many more 42 and under Cohibas than 43+ if they have surplus large bands they're getting cut down. No waste in Cuba. 

2 hours ago, MossybackR said:

It’s possibly a spectral issue. What range is the UV detector that you’re using?

One photo shows two bands under light and only one code so unless Vrijdag changed the ink spectrum it's not his light. 

Changing the spectrum isn't really an effective security feature anyway. The best counterfeiters are working from an authentic box and bands as a reference and will just note the change in spectrum. 

And keep in mind genuine Cohiba bands aren't hard to come by in the factories.

The only long term solution to this is NFT/RFID or similar technology in the box and in each band which is matched to the box with a public database showing that box's history and people can register their box if desired. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I haven't seen any Cohiba bands that new but I will in about 4 weeks. I can confirm then. 

I'm not sure I buy the explanation that Cuba stopped doing it because the counterfeiters are doing it. That really makes no sense. 

I agree with you, it doesn't make any sense.

I'm with some friends in Havana this week, they have a scheduled visit to Cohiba, I've already asked one of them to raise this question with a director.

12 hours ago, Namisgr11 said:

In July I got a five pack of Siglo IIs from a reputable grey market vendor and the UV codes were also gone from the labels.  However, each label still had from two to four UV blue rectangles in diagonal as before.  So maybe there's something to the brand purposely changing their bands.

I agree that with the friction of the bands the code can disappear or lose a good part of its shine, however it is not present, even if part of it I had never seen, the box is from July 2023 so there would not have been time for such codes disappear, they were definitely never there. There are no blue dots in these bands either

I believe that there was some error in the production of these bands and  the local Importer are making some excuse so that consumers feel safe.

It's just an opinion

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes, I can confirm after checking with a trusted vendor and a VERY high end collector in Austria who on occasion buys direct from the factory (think majestuosos 1966, 55th anniversary, etc) that Cohiba STOPPED putting the UV code in its cigar bands sometime in 2023.  I had the same concern on a box of Robustos and posted the question here on Reddit.  I even took apart a band and found several of the squares did react to the light.  I will be posting an update to the forum shortly

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seacliff said:

Cohiba STOPPED putting the UV code in its cigar bands sometime in 2023

Interesting. I certainly could see them doing that (although I think it just makes things a little easier to counterfeit IMHO). I guess if this is indeed the truth we should start seeing more and more cohiba without UV codes being discussed/shown. Unfortunately I don't have any from 23 so I can neither confirm nor deny. Regardless, thanks for the info. 

Very interesting. I suppose the logic is that it will take several months for the counterfeiters to adjust their products and print new fake bands without the uv code? In the meantime, Habanos can design and implement something new to thwart off the next round of fakes sans uv code?  

How much time does it take for the professional counterfeiters to modify their packaging to account for these changes? Is habanos trying to cover-up a mistake with this explanation? Or, is this a viable strategy in the war against counterfeiting? How long till we have transparent bands with zero text?  

1 hour ago, ATGroom said:

One possibility is that there was one batch produced without the code in error, and they will return in the future.

My first thought is exactly this. A temporary anomaly that's more likely to be a production error than an executive decision. 

Doesn't make sense to go and remove a perfectly good anti-counterfeit measure.  I don't have any 2023 Cohiba to compare.  In the context of a market saturated with fakes, the packaging and anti-counterfeiting inconsistencies on legitimate Cohiba are just 🤦.

It creates so much doubt and uncertainty.  Very tough pill to swallow when combined with the price point.  On the other hand in defense of Habanos SA, they've probably already priced out about 90% of the buyers who would actually notice these differences - so hey, no big deal right?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, B44 said:

@El Presidente would it be possible for you to check any of the 2023 Cohiba stock you have on hand?

This seems like a pretty out of left field change for Habanos to make. Wrong direction imho with quality fakes steadily on the rise. 

I will have the team take a peek tomorrow/Monday.  I am currently away for a few days. :thumbsup:

• Like 1