Over glamorized cigar reviews

Just now, 99call said:

Also, and sadly because cigars are often used as status symbols by wankers,  sales people are often selling what that sort of customer are concerned about.    Is this an "elite" product? will I look like I belong if I buy this product?. Will the band look glitzy?  it's really sad. 

Couldn’t agree more, I’ve poured through the LEs, the REs et Al. Nowadays, I’m pretty happy with my du depute and the non impressive stuff that makes up 95% of what I own.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whose filter do we view "Over Glamorized" through?  Yours? AI? a starchamber of "over glamorized review" police?  People need to grow up and put on their "big boy" pants. When someone is sel

chatgpt strikes again?

To the topic: I'd rather embellished reviews over not. Put me in your shoes during the review experience. None of that harms the hobby--if anything it may draw more to it. The only harm I find is if i

A cigar review (not marketing drivel) is a reflection of a personal, highly subjective experience of that particular cigar in a particular setting at a particular point in time. It’s entertainment, at best!

There’s no room for terms such as “objective”, “accurate”, “disappointment”, “mistrust” or “harmful” in evaluating a review, as is being used in the AI-generated text above completely missing the point. Looking for “truth” in a review, be it honest or not, is foolhardy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fugu said:

A cigar review (not marketing drivel) is a reflection of a personal, highly subjective experience of that particular cigar in a particular setting at a particular point in time. It’s entertainment, at best!

There’s no room for terms such as “objective”, “accurate”, “disappointment”, “mistrust” or “harmful” in evaluating a review, as is being used in the AI-generated text above completely missing the point. Looking for “truth” in a review, be it honest or not, is foolhardy.

Cigar reviews are important in evaluating the quality and taste of a cigar. The use of terms such as "objective" and "accurate" are necessary to provide a fair and honest assessment of a cigar. A review should not be viewed solely as entertainment, but rather as a valuable tool for consumers to make informed decisions about which cigars to purchase. Those who dismiss the value of cigar reviews and believe that seeking truth in them is foolish are missing out on the important information they provide. It is harmful to disregard the experience and insights of reviewers who have tried and evaluated different cigars.

16 minutes ago, KnightsAnole said:

Cigar reviews are important in evaluating the quality and taste of a cigar. The use of terms such as "objective" and "accurate" are necessary to provide a fair and honest assessment of a cigar. A review should not be viewed solely as entertainment, but rather as a valuable tool for consumers to make informed decisions about which cigars to purchase. Those who dismiss the value of cigar reviews and believe that seeking truth in them is foolish are missing out on the important information they provide. It is harmful to disregard the experience and insights of reviewers who have tried and evaluated different cigars.

No interest in chatting with a bot, mate. 😂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

There is an irony to this posting about how cigar reviews are disingenuous and drivel, while relying on AI drivel to write the post. 

I’ve made it pretty obvious, but you’re catching on! 👍

5 minutes ago, KnightsAnole said:

I’ve made it pretty obvious, but you’re catching on! 👍

It's a net negative to the board and moves actual insights and substance of the board (the reason we actually come here) to the bottom.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:54 AM, jakebarnes said:

It's a net negative to the board and moves actual insights and substance of the board (the reason we actually come here) to the bottom.

Well, that’s you’re opinion, mine is different 

But I agree with everything I posted 

2 minutes ago, KnightsAnole said:

Well, that’s you’re opinion, mine is different 

Well that's the first time you've had an original thought in this thread. Unless you also received that response from the chatbot as well.

1 minute ago, jakebarnes said:

Well that's the first time you've had an original thought in this thread. Unless you also received that response from the chatbot as well.

That’s not true. But I can understand the difficulty you have in distinguishing the two.

8 hours ago, KnightsAnole said:

The cigar industry is a delicate ecosystem that relies on a balance of quality, tradition, and reputation. Unfortunately, misinformation and overly-glamorized reviews can upset this balance and harm the industry as a whole.

Can you site some examples of misinformation on a cigar review?

On 1/26/2023 at 7:16 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Can you site some examples of misinformation on a cigar review?

Misinformation isn’t a great word for what I mean, misrepresentation is probably better 

But like, Atabey having Cuban tobacco in it was s misinformation 

Just now, KnightsAnole said:

Misinformation isn’t a great word for what I mean, misrepresentation is probably better 

Misrepresentation may not be a great word either.  That would suggest factual issues such as tobacco strains & origin, country of manufacture, blender, etc...

Most of what I read in the cigar "reviews" is opinion with a marketing slant.

On 1/25/2023 at 10:58 PM, KnightsAnole said:

Glamorized reviews, on the other hand, can create unrealistic expectations and lead to disappointment among consumers. When reviewers use overly-flowery language or exaggerate the qualities of a cigar, it can lead to unrealistic expectations that the cigar can never live up to. This can lead to disappointment and frustration among consumers, which can discourage them from buying cigars in the future.

I can’t stand reviews that don’t even touch on the flavors of the cigar.  Look at the CA reviews, you might get one or two sentences of the cigar, rest of the review is bloviating.  Not that the info isn’t interesting, if I read the review of cigar of the year - I want to know what experience was had that gave it such a great rating. 

I'm probably way off from your wavelength, but just thought I’d share. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cigar-Therapy said:

I can’t stand reviews that don’t even touch on the flavors of the cigar.  Look at the CA reviews, you might get one or two sentences of the cigar, rest of the review is bloviating.  Not that the info isn’t interesting, if I read the review of cigar of the year - I want to know what experience was had that gave it such a great rating. 

Im probably way off from your wavelength, but just thought I’d share. 

Not all that’s on the money 

edit: not at all, ….

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 8:04 AM, El Presidente said:

Whose filter do we view "Over Glamorized" through? 

Yours? AI? a starchamber of "over glamorized review" police? :D

People need to grow up and put on their "big boy" pants. When someone is selling you something, the only filter you should use is the one marked "scepticism". 

Politicians lie. Marketers sell. 22 year old blondes marry old rich men for the money. Such it has always been.

Here's some advice to those needing a security blanket/cuddle from the nasty marketers: Harden the ***k up. ;)

Well said, skepticism is a valuable resource in forums and just about everywhere these days. 

I would debate any type of review that says there are twenty two different flavours that I can taste on my palate with each draw or sip....

Taste is something very personal that evolves over time (sometimes day to day).

Hence I have little interest or trust in "published" reviews - irregardless of their motivation.

I would rather trust the commentary or recommendations from a friend - who might have some better incite into my palate / preferences....

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 8:08 AM, KnightsAnole said:

Well said, skepticism is a valuable resource in forums and just about everywhere these days.

It should be more than a valuable resource. It is front and centre of one's "life skill"  arsenal. 

Society is always going to have the sheep who send their banking details to their previously unknown Nigerian prince cousin.  You can't protect morons. 

• Like 4