Bourbon Recommendations

Kitchen

I am not a huge fan a Bourbons, but I have read recently that the USA regs do not require the use of American Oak, only it needs to be aged in a charred new oak barrel for 3 years.  So this does allow for the use of other types of oak.  Perhaps I would like one of those.  

So does any have any recommendations on Bourbons that use French, or European, Oak?  

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried any of the finished whiskeys that have a secondary finishing process?  Some of the Makers Mark products come to mind.  Makers 46 spends some time with French oak staves added.  Their Private Selection bottles have different combinations of added finishing staves, which are listed on the bottle.  They also have a yearly limited release, called the "Wood Finishing Series".

On 1/1/2023 at 4:29 PM, JoshD said:

Have you tried any of the finished whiskeys that have a secondary finishing process?  Some of the Makers Mark products come to mind.  Makers 46 spends some time with French oak staves added.  Their Private Selection bottles have different combinations of added finishing staves, which are listed on the bottle.  They also have a yearly limited release, called the "Wood Finishing Series".

This is right on. Before bourbon went stupid, when all of the BTAC and Van Winkle would sit on shelves a while, I drank a bottle of MM46 (the ordinary shelf version, before private selections of it became a thing) alongside a bottle of Van Winkle 12. I found it to be mainly a push. Honestly, I would love to pit them against each other in a blind test, with some private selections of 46 offering different woods, to see who prefers which.  That's a very good available wheater that stands on its own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 2:06 PM, Nocoins said:

This is right on. Before bourbon went stupid, when all of the BTAC and Van Winkle would sit on shelves a while, I drank a bottle of MM46 (the ordinary shelf version, before private selections of it became a thing) alongside a bottle of Van Winkle 12. I found it to be mainly a push. Honestly, I would love to pit them against each other in a blind test, with some private selections of 46 offering different woods, to see who prefers which.  That's a very good available wheater that stands on its own.

The normal Maker's 46 is a very serviceable bourbon but Maker's 46 Cask Strength is a distinct level up for my palette.  I have several Maker's Private Selections and have enjoyed all though some are better than others for sure.  

On the rye side of things, Sagamore Spirit Double Oak is quite good (did a blind with it against OF 1910 and it blew OF out of the water).  The folks at Bardstown Bourbon Co. & Barrell are both putting out some great finished whiskies as well.  I recently picked up a bottle of the BBC KBS Stout Finished and a Chateau de Laubade II.  I've just opened both but they are quite tasty. 

Lastly, if you get the chance I encourage you to seek out/try a Canadian Whisky https://www.foundnorthwhisky.com/    These guys are doing some interesting things with high aged ryes and different barrel finishes. 

I believe Maker's Mark 46 uses a French oak aging process.  It's delicious! I will second the @Kenton1971 recommendation of a higher proof bottle, The sweetness of the wheated bourbon shines next to the French oak accents.  Also, Bardstown has several blends that use 1) rum barrels, 2) sherry casks, 3) cognac barrells...All kinds of barrels, although I am not sure if any of them are French. I have enjoyed all the Bardstown blends that I have tried. 

Lastly, I recently had some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked....It was great with a very rich flavor profile.  I am not sure if it is French Oak...but it's worth a shot.

• 1 month later...

Favorite Bourbons:*

*Full disclosure:  I like my brown water at less than 100 proof, and in the 80's preferably, though it's damn hard to do with bourbon.  (That's why I often enjoy rum more.)  Heresy to some, I know, ...but I like to remember the fun of the evening :) 

As for the recommendations!

Blantons -- impossible to find in the South East of the U.S. (I've found); however, in less bourbon drinking states (like Rhode Island) or those with state stores (Virginia, for example), it's easy to find.  I re-import it back to the south :)  It's worth every bit of list price (+/-$85); not worth over $100 IMO, as there are so many other good ones.

Eagle Rare -- get it when you can. 

Michter's -- reliably good, and good as a rye too.  Makes a great Old Fashioned.  

Buffalo Trace -- (Owns Blanton's if that means anything.)  I'd challenge most folks to tell the difference between Buffalo Trace and Michter's though it's more reliable in some states, and just as good (if sometimes priced up).

Milam & Greene -- for those in Texas (or thereabouts).  Really great flavor, though "high test."

My 2 cents as for those that are well worth the price of entry. 

Edited by Glass Half Full
Just realized this was supposed to be about the "oak." I was commenting on the bourbon :)

• 11 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 5:22 AM, Kitchen said:

I am not a huge fan a Bourbons, but I have read recently that the USA regs do not require the use of American Oak, only it needs to be aged in a charred new oak barrel for 3 years.  So this does allow for the use of other types of oak.  Perhaps I would like one of those.  

So does any have any recommendations on Bourbons that use French, or European, Oak?  

It has to be aged in American white oak for 3 year’s minimum. Then they have the potential for aging in other oaks.