Help - reduce humidity fast - a/c out

sageman

I’ve been without a/c for 5 days. Been in the mid 90s with heat index 105+. Low tonight is 75 currently feels like 88 and humidity outside is 88. 

I store my cigars in the basement, in a winedor and tupperdors. I have a thermo:hygrometer sitting out in the basement because it started to feel sticky down there, it’s reading 74 degrees and 76% rh. 

My humidors are worse. Nothing has been opened, sealed with Boveda and some humi care beads that were maintaining good levels. I read when the room gets too saturated it can overtake the humidor. 

I’ve taken the lids off the tupperdors and opened the door to the winedor, I have a box fan blowing over the tupperdors and into the winedor, and I’ve taken any humidification devices out. 

Not sure what my best move is since the entire basement is way too humid. Looking for suggestions on how to reduce humidity quickly, in a macguyver way because I don’t have a dehumidifier and I can’t open the windows for better circulation. Any ideas are appreciated!

7 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

Damprid maybe?

A cabin I stayed in used that. If the company coming tomorrow to fix the ac doesn’t have the part I need, that may be my next step. 2am here so looking for non store options. Not sure how long cigars exposed to 75+% rh will survive

Don’t panic. Your problem isn’t humidity in the first place, your problem is the large temperature swing. Keep your containers closed. Don’t open lids!

While warming, rH in your tupperdors will fall, as long as being kept sealed.

When a/c comes back, make sure that the temperature won’t drop too fast in your storage. Once your basement storage room is back to normal, then and only then, storage containers might be opened for giving them some ventilation. If not done already, put single thermo-hygrometers in each of your tupperdors and wineadors to monitor the readings.

When back to equilibrium check cigars after two weeks, and then do a sporadic monthly check for the next couple of months for any mould.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:32 AM, Ford2112 said:

Damprid maybe?

Ended up grabbing two buckets, between temp and humidity change outside, and the damprid, humidity has gone from mid to high 70s, down to 50. Thanks for the tip.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:16 AM, Fugu said:

When a/c comes back, make sure that the temperature won’t drop too fast in your storage. Once your basement storage room is back to normal, then and only then, storage containers might be opened for giving them some ventilation. If not done already, put single thermo-hygrometers in each of your tupperdors and wineadors to monitor the readings.

Temp dropped 10 degrees over 4 days. Went from 95 outside to 75 with lower humidity. I fixed the AC unit but didn't run the air for 2 days to try to smooth the drop back to normal basement temps. I have a govee in all containers, and I put one outside of the containers to watch temp and humidity of the basement. Everything has leveled out over a few days and I'll keep an eye as time passes. Thanks for the tips!

1 hour ago, sageman said:

Ended up grabbing two buckets, between temp and humidity change outside, and the damprid, humidity has gone from mid to high 70s, down to 50. Thanks for the tip.

Temp dropped 10 degrees over 4 days. Went from 95 outside to 75 with lower humidity. I fixed the AC unit but didn't run the air for 2 days to try to smooth the drop back to normal basement temps. I have a govee in all containers, and I put one outside of the containers to watch temp and humidity of the basement. Everything has leveled out over a few days and I'll keep an eye as time passes. Thanks for the tips!

Great to hear!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sageman said:

Everything has leveled out over a few days and I'll keep an eye as time passes. Thanks for the tips!

That’s great to hear, indeed! 👍

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:41 AM, sageman said:

Not sure how long cigars exposed to 75+% rh will survive

Years and Years. Cuba has the weather conditions you described for about 70% of the year. They don't fret about storage at all. Don't panic, as others mentioned, its the huge swings that will get you. Not necessarily, the high heat/humidity. 

• Thanks 1