Papo Robaina 59 Medio Tiempo 2021 (FRCSW2)

Same deal as the Alex Gonzalez: curious enough that I was willing to take a chance. 7 days of freezing and 2 months of rest for this fatty.

First third: opens with a nice cream and nuttiness, kind of like a Punch but without the spices. As the cigar picks up, some shortbread joins the mix, leveling out at a nice light-medium body.

Middle third: shortbread becomes the predominant note, like an Upmann, but with a subtle honey note on the finish that's quite pleasing.

Last third: the shortbread becomes richer but also dryer in texture. There's an occasional honeyed nut note that appears intermittently as I near the end.

Overall: this one smoked a lot like an Upmann, specifically the Petit Corona. The honeyed nut note reminded me of the 2020 colorado rosado Nudies I had the chance to try. Not bad, but we'll see how this improves with rest (2 months is far short of what I'd normally wait) and how the thinner ring gauges smoke. 87/100

image.png.d1d2f812da868e2f42e8e752caac0adc.png

image.png.9d94ba520a62c7299cfbc833c7011094.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, saltbox said:

Same deal as the Alex Gonzalez: curious enough that I was willing to take a chance. 7 days of freezing and 2 months of rest for this fatty.

First third: opens with a nice cream and nuttiness, kind of like a Punch but without the spices. As the cigar picks up, some shortbread joins the mix, leveling out at a nice light-medium body.

Middle third: shortbread becomes the predominant note, like an Upmann, but with a subtle honey note on the finish that's quite pleasing.

Last third: the shortbread becomes richer but also dryer in texture. There's an occasional honeyed nut note that appears intermittently as I near the end.

Overall: this one smoked a lot like an Upmann, specifically the Petit Corona. The honeyed nut note reminded me of the 2020 colorado rosado Nudies I had the chance to try. Not bad, but we'll see how this improves with rest (2 months is far short of what I'd normally wait) and how the thinner ring gauges smoke. 87/100

image.png.d1d2f812da868e2f42e8e752caac0adc.png

image.png.9d94ba520a62c7299cfbc833c7011094.png

I'm guessing this is an "amazon of customs" acquisition? I'm confused by the name. Is it a Papo, or a Robaina? 

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

I'm guessing this is an "amazon of customs" acquisition? I'm confused by the name. Is it a Papo, or a Robaina? 

My understanding is his full name is Papo Robaina, but I have no evidence either way other than what I’ve seen online.

12 minutes ago, saltbox said:

My understanding is his full name is Papo Robaina, but I have no evidence either way other than what I’ve seen online.

Interesting. I've always just heard to him referred to as "Papo." His farm is close to (maybe touching) the Robaina farm, but I had never heard that he was "A Robaina."

9 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Interesting. I've always just heard to him referred to as "Papo." His farm is close to (maybe touching) the Robaina farm, but I had never heard that he was "A Robaina."

I’ve read recently that his last name is Robaina, I think it was in the promotional email from AOC when they first introduced the “Papo” series to the website a few months back. 

I had a Papo BHK52 last night, man I really enjoy them. I’ve now gone in for 6 different offerings, and I think the Papo with media tiempo is my favorite, along with the Hector Luis Prieto BHK56. Neither really compares to anything in the Habanos line IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

I had a Papo BHK52 last night, man I really enjoy them. I’ve now gone in for 6 different offerings, and I think the Papo with media tiempo is my favorite, along with the Hector Luis Prieto BHK56. Neither really compares to anything in the Habanos line IMO.

These Papo BHK52s are smoking so well right now. I CANNOT keep my hands off of them. Ramzie said that they are form 2019.

A few years does a lot with these customs. I recently sampled some of the Alex puntilla I got in Cuba back in 2019, they have really blossomed into something magical. I bought a few bundles from AOC (Papo, Alex 54 and HLP) and also Yerandy, and I really think they need a few years but patience pays off. Yerandy bhk56 shows a lot of promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured a review or two of these would be informative given previous conversation about these elsewhere on the forum but it's probably a good idea to (generously) avoid crossing the line of talking about other vendors here.

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 8:17 PM, Corylax18 said:

I dont have any personal experience with the AOC stuff, but I have purchased cigars directly from each man. I agree that those cigars are on a different level. 

How's the flavor development/complexity compared to main Marcas/Vitolas? 

1 hour ago, MrVoyondon69 said:

How's the flavor development/complexity compared to main Marcas/Vitolas? 

I find them both to be more "linear" in flavor and MUCH more consistent than Regular Production. Fewer rollers and a smaller source area for the tobacco both lend to higher consistency. Neither are perfect, 100% of the time. But someone's name/pride being tied to them is a good thing, I think. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, this is encouraging!  I've found the Papo sticks to be good and consistent overall.  Sampled my third Alex Flying Pig today, dry boxing for 3 days made a tremendous difference.  The last two were super bitter, didn't burn well, and were very muted and harsh. Dry boxing got me a stick that was creamy and nutty with some nice toasty tobacco notes.  Nothing particularly mind-blowing but a nice cigar.