Ashes

Webbo

What’s the thoughts? I’m going for an optimistic 2-2. We (England) must not lose at the Gabba though. Any of our locals going?

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

john, fully follow what you say. but the close contest thing. yes, i fully support the concept and in practice, love to see it. in all things bar playing the ashes (and theoretically the bledisloe but

What’s the thoughts? I’m going for an optimistic 2-2. We (England) must not lose at the Gabba though. Any of our locals going?

absolutely bill. win, lose or draw, infinitely prefer tests to the lightweight stuff.  england still has some batting so we are not there yet. and it might even be to our benefit if they do bat m

11 hours ago, Bill Hayes said:

Probably get rained out at the GABBA but here's hoping we get a result either way. Cheers

be the first one i have missed at the gabba for 40-50 years, thanks to scumbag politicians. rest of the family ensconced. lot of rain around which will make it interesting. 

have to say i think that leaving khawaja out a mistake. should have opened or gone in number 5. and while carey the safe option, i might have gone for pierson. 

i think that the english batting really is very ordinary - i think that hameed might be a surprise. he seems a talent. they will need stokes to be at his best and pope to show that he is as good as they say. and root will have to prove finally that he can play downunder. you can bet that all the aussie quicks will be after root.

i do not see all that coming together and especially against what is probably the best attack in the world, especially on our grounds.

also, the english attack? anderson and broad have been brilliant everywhere but here. both have poor records and both in mid to late 30s, don't expect them to get better. a full ashes series in the searing aussie summer is not going to be to the benefit of either. wood, robinson have never played here. woakes? solid but a match winner? would not even bother to mention the english spinners. i doubt that they will play them in all tests. certainly sydney but otherwise? 

our openers are questionable. harris a disappointment. he needs big runs quickly. head/green need to prove themselves. both smith and labuschagne are amazing. if they fire, it could be 5-0. and i'd expect them to fire. if they don't, england have a shot. 

england always struggle at the gabba. for them to win here would be huge for them. i am predicting 1-0 after the gabba if the rain allows it. and that will make it near impossible for england to win the ashes. i can see 3/4/5-0, but in saying that, out here, england often win a dead test at the finish so 3-1 or 4-1. 

i said to a friend, this morning, i really want to see starc knock the pegs over first ball. if the genie was giving wishes, i really should have said i want to win gold lotto. but this first session a nice second prize. 

if this continues, and fingers crossed it does, poor old rootie is going to cop hell, perhaps not quite nasser hussein level hell, but plenty. they leave out anderson and broad and then bat first (all of which i think is not unwise). it is simply going to add to the immense pressure on the bloke. 

Well, Ken with 4 scalps in the first innings, we'll see. Aussies still have to bat on this pitch though. And the Poms aren't done yet. Happens a lot lately, with a lot of swings and roundabouts in tests. That's why I've always loved it over the short games. Only test matches live in my memory. Can't think of many one dayers to be honest. Good to have some sport back nonetheless. Go Paddy!

1 minute ago, Bill Hayes said:

Well, Ken with 4 scalps in the first innings, we'll see. Aussies still have to bat on this pitch though. And the Poms aren't done yet. Happens a lot lately, with a lot of swings and roundabouts in tests. That's why I've always loved it over the short games. Only test matches live in my memory. Can't think of many one dayers to be honest. Good to have some sport back nonetheless. Go Paddy!

absolutely bill. win, lose or draw, infinitely prefer tests to the lightweight stuff. 

england still has some batting so we are not there yet. and it might even be to our benefit if they do bat most of the day. 2nd and 3rd day at the gabba, depending on the rain, the pitch will play better. england needs to find something in its batting or, for me, the odds are that we win this by an innings. 

• Like 1

Even despite the green wicket, which will make it challenging for Australia to bat, I contend that Australia bowled an excellent line and length in the England first innings. It will require something very special from the England bowlers to match it, or come close. Even if Australia get 250 in their first innings it will be difficult for England to come back unless the wicket dries out significantly and England bat very well in the second innings of this test.

• Like 1

Shocking start by England. Aus bowled very well, good lengths. One that got Root was a cracker delivery. Main problem we have is Burns does not have a good enough technique. 6 test match ducks already this year ! Lot of pressure on Hamed not to get out hence his low scoring rate. Going to be a long series. Even worse in UK the broadcaster BT have only bought the Aus TV feed so had to put up with Warne etc gloating over every wicket. 

• Like 1

@Webbo, I would add that this series will not be like the recent ones down under. I envisage that there will be times where England will have momentum and be competitive. Australia have suffered for years from relying on too few players to dominate with the bat. It doesn't take much to knock them over, either.

Australia need more than Smith, Labuschagne and Warner to fire. I concur with @Ken Gargett. Usman Khawaja has an excellent home record, he should be in the team and not Travis Head. For me, 230 in a domestic one-day game six weeks ago (or so) doesn't cut it for test cricket. Cameron Green definitely needs a prolonged stay, as does Alex Carey as wicket-keeper now but I wouldn't hesitate to jettison Harris and/or Head if they fail to convert starts again as they have so often in the past.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Webbo said:

Shocking start by England. Aus bowled very well, good lengths. One that got Root was a cracker delivery. Main problem we have is Burns does not have a good enough technique. 6 test match ducks already this year ! Lot of pressure on Hamed not to get out hence his low scoring rate. Going to be a long series. Even worse in UK the broadcaster BT have only bought the Aus TV feed so had to put up with Warne etc gloating over every wicket. 

i think the feed you must have is the fox one? the local free to air stuff is a good mix - ponting, katich (both very good), copeland (not bad given he is still playing), hayden (bit pompous), botham (excruitiatingly boring - completely opposite to the bloke you saw on field), blewitt (okay), the english woman's captain - forgive me but i have no idea of the name, but she is probably best of the lot). james brayshaw (okay). 

we do not have to put up with warne (always found that if he focuses on the cricket, he can give good insights but too often he tries to be funny) and even better, that awful michael slater. what a pleasure to have a summer spared from his inane drivel and humble bragging and endless in-jokes about him. but i do miss ian chappell and mark nicholas. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i think the feed you must have is the fox one? the local free to air stuff is a good mix - ponting, katich (both very good), copeland (not bad given he is still playing), hayden (bit pompous), botham (excruitiatingly boring - completely opposite to the bloke you saw on field), blewitt (okay), the english woman's captain - forgive me but i have no idea of the name, but she is probably best of the lot). james brayshaw (okay). 

we do not have to put up with warne (always found that if he focuses on the cricket, he can give good insights but too often he tries to be funny) and even better, that awful michael slater. what a pleasure to have a summer spared from his inane drivel and humble bragging and endless in-jokes about him. but i do miss ian chappell and mark nicholas. 

Its  Warne, Gilchrist and Young Waugh. They are just not very good, maybe inversely proportional to cricketing ability (Botham a good example). Maybe the woman is Ebony Rainford-Brent, she is top drawer. In my lifetime I have enjoyed most Benuad, Greig, Agnew, Chappell, Holding, Nicholas, Gower, Willis and last but not least Arlott.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Its  Warne, Gilchrist and Young Waugh. They are just not very good, maybe inversely proportional to cricketing ability (Botham a good example). Maybe the woman is Ebony Rainford-Brent, she is top drawer. In my lifetime I have enjoyed most Benuad, Greig, Agnew, Chappell, Holding, Nicholas, Gower, Willis and last but not least Arlott.

no, not her. i will try and find out from today's coverage. 

all of those do or did a terrific job - agree with you.i'd add mcgilvray. gower could be wonderful. sorry they seemed to dump him.

arlott is from my very early days. had some great stuff. he was fantastic. very serious wine man. wrote the book on krug. met his daughter many years ago when in champagne. she was doing a doco. i remember one old test cricketer (perhaps best i don't attribute this to him) telling me that in his later days, arlott always did the first session. he was terrific to that stage but by lunch, it was over. one game, he gave a brilliant summing-up for the first session and handed back to the studio. they were not ready so sent it back to the ground for a bit more coverage (this would have been radio in those days). in the few seconds this took, arlott was already head on desk, sound asleep and not coming back.   

tony greig's brother is a good mate (never met tony) and had some amazing stories, especially about the old packer days. 

the other one who can be brilliant at times is kerry o'keeffe. can be incredibly funny. this cracks me up every time. and you have to love a spinner who titles his autobiography 'turn, turn, turn, please'. 

• Like 1

alsion mitchell. but i think i was wrong about her playing for england. 

also have damien fleming who is not bad. and we are getting stephen fry. honestly, for cricket? 

just seen stokes bowl warner with the no ball. for me, not unlucky but stupid. warner nicked him through the slips two balls earlier and they did not show it but i have no doubt that was also a no ball. serves them right whoever does it. why do they do it? they can't get a wicket that way these days. dumb, dumb, dumb. 

Yes think it was a no ball too. No balls are criminal. The pitch never changes it’s length, the line never moves. A professional bowler should be able to be on or behind literally with their eyes shut. 

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Yes think it was a no ball too. No balls are criminal. The pitch never changes it’s length, the line never moves. A professional bowler should be able to be on or behind literally with their eyes shut. 

they have just shown stokes' first four balls. they were all no balls. the fast bowlers in the commentary saying the bowler let down as the ump should have got them and stokes would have known. the batsmen are saying the team robbed of runs. 

14 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

alsion mitchell. but i think i was wrong about her playing for england. 

also have damien fleming who is not bad. and we are getting stephen fry. honestly, for cricket? 

just seen stokes bowl warner with the no ball. for me, not unlucky but stupid. warner nicked him through the slips two balls earlier and they did not show it but i have no doubt that was also a no ball. serves them right whoever does it. why do they do it? they can't get a wicket that way these days. dumb, dumb, dumb. 

Alison Mitchell is very good yes. She’s mainly on the radio here and does all the England overseas tours. Had a bit of a double act with Ian Chappell a few years ago that was very entertaining. 

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

Usman Khawaja has an excellent home record, he should be in the team and not Travis Head. For me, 230 in a domestic one-day game six weeks ago (or so) doesn't cut it for test cricket. Cameron Green definitely needs a prolonged stay, as does Alex Carey as wicket-keeper now but I wouldn't hesitate to jettison Harris and/or Head if they fail to convert starts again as they have so often in the past.

Does Travis Head read this forum? I guess that I have been watching cricket for 40 years but that's the beauty of the game, you never know what can happen! However, I would dare anyone to predict that Travis Head would hit the fastest test century at the Gabba (by anyone), the third fastest Ashes test century and also, he has hit a century in a session which in Test Cricket is a big deal. Marcus Harris, do you realise Usman Khawaja is now eyeing your spot?

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Does Travis Head read this forum? I guess that I have been watching cricket for 40 years but that's the beauty of the game, you never know what can happen! However, I would dare anyone to predict that Travis Head would hit the fastest test century at the Gabba (by anyone), the third fastest Ashes test century and also, he has hit a century in a session which in Test Cricket is a big deal. Marcus Harris, do you realise Usman Khawaja is now eyeing your spot?

yes, brilliant stuff from head and in such a pressure position. all credit to him. if england had continued on and rolled us for a lead of just around 100, it would be very much game on. head has made it near impossible. 

we have england 'resting' broad and anderson for the first test and robinson and stokes are hobbling about. they might need reinforcements. 

harris will want runs asap. 

Just don’t get it. Pitch with a bit of green, some threat of rain so we “rest” our 2 top wicket takers (who have not played any Of the short format game this year so must be really buggered after the Indian test series in which they also did not feature each game), play a spinner who struggles to turn it and thenwin the toss and bat first. Inexplicable. 

Surprise surprise we then get turned over swiftly it rains the rest of the day  and on a beautiful sunny next day feed the Aussies on a diet of no balls, dropped catches and missed run outs.

You could not have written a better script as an Australian supporter. If this was a boxing match we would be in danger of losing our purse on a fix.  

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Just don’t get it. Pitch with a bit of green, some threat of rain so we “rest” our 2 top wicket takers (who have not played any Of the short format game this year so must be really buggered after the Indian test series in which they also did not feature each game), play a spinner who struggles to turn it and thenwin the toss and bat first. Inexplicable. 

Surprise surprise we then get turned over swiftly it rains the rest of the day  and on a beautiful sunny next day feed the Aussies on a diet of no balls, dropped catches and missed run outs.

You could not have written a better script as an Australian supporter. If this was a boxing match we would be in danger of losing our purse on a fix.  

i have no doubt that the ghost of nasser meant that there was no possible way root was sending us in. i was at the gabba that day - you had your star bowler do his knee and hardly ever play again. and we ended up about 1-600. now that was a good ashes day (well, not the injury). root could not afford to be linked to that. plus i understand when it is 50/50, you show you have the confidence in your guys to bat. sadly, that confidence may have been misplaced.

broad and anderson? everyone forgets that they have really poor records here and four years on, they are not better bowlers. but that said, if ever a pitch was made for them and broad does well against lefties (and we are chockers with them) so that is puzzling. at least pick one of them?

on one hand, stokes got away with a heap of no balls - we should have had more runs on the board. but they do check every wicket. for me, the onus is ultimately on stokes. but each of his first four balls, a no ball. and 14 in a spell of 5 overs, after having a wicket recalled? he might be a decent cricketer but he is dumber than soup. 

50 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i have no doubt that the ghost of nasser meant that there was no possible way root was sending us in. i was at the gabba that day - you had your star bowler do his knee and hardly ever play again. and we ended up about 1-600. now that was a good ashes day (well, not the injury). root could not afford to be linked to that. plus i understand when it is 50/50, you show you have the confidence in your guys to bat. sadly, that confidence may have been misplaced.

broad and anderson? everyone forgets that they have really poor records here and four years on, they are not better bowlers. but that said, if ever a pitch was made for them and broad does well against lefties (and we are chockers with them) so that is puzzling. at least pick one of them?

on one hand, stokes got away with a heap of no balls - we should have had more runs on the board. but they do check every wicket. for me, the onus is ultimately on stokes. but each of his first four balls, a no ball. and 14 in a spell of 5 overs, after having a wicket recalled? he might be a decent cricketer but he is dumber than soup. 

If you are not going to play either (or both) of Anderson or Broad on a wicket like that when would you? Why take them? Unless it’s for the “pink ball” charade. I would have played Broad as he has the wood over Warner and if ever I want to see a batsman fail it’s him..

As for the Hussain echoes yes it’s true he will never be allowed to forget that but that day the pitch and conditions were so in favour of batting it was ridiculous. The injury to Jones was truly awful, not sure if it’s widely known but he never bowled a ball in cricket again after that day, career over. 

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

If you are not going to play either (or both) of Anderson or Broad on a wicket like that when would you? Why take them? Unless it’s for the “pink ball” charade. I would have played Broad as he has the wood over Warner and if ever I want to see a batsman fail it’s him..

As for the Hussain echoes yes it’s true he will never be allowed to forget that but that day the pitch and conditions were so in favour of batting it was ridiculous. The injury to Jones was truly awful, not sure if it’s widely known but he never bowled a ball in cricket again after that day, career over. 

i had a feeling jones had tried a comeback a few years later but it wasn't successful, but was not certain. not at all surprised he never played again. happened not far from where i was sitting. horrible injury. sickening. 

not sure if you have heard the the interview with nasser before the test when he was asked about the chances of winning the ashes. without thinking, he blurted out, "with this team?" 

i think root is under way more pressure than most realise and it is getting to him. and a lot of this pressure comes from the english press. he knew that if he sent us in and it went badly, they would be merciless. 

but yes, why bring them if not playing them? makes little sense.