UFC / MMA / BMMA / ONE FC / BKFC / Boxing

Edicion

I watch most of the UFC and Bellator cards. I don't follow the lower tier promotions as much, but occasionally will watch them as well. I've been watching since the UFC Tournament PPV's in the early 90's. IMO it's the Golden Age of MMA. Very cool to have so many ways to watch and to see the mainstream interest start to awaken. 

• Like 2

I have been a UFC fan since Dan Severn days. Grew up watching Ray Leonard,Marvin Hagler,Tyson,etc. Fell away from boxing but I still watch plenty of MMA.

• Like 2

I've been a fan of MMA since the late 80s when people still thought the best fighter in the world could be living in a cave, meditating and using skills learned by studying tigers and monkeys to form the best combat system. I did have a break in between and returned to watch UFC / MMA in about 2013/2014. I don't think I've missed more than 10 events since and been to a few live events as well. 

2020/2021 have been incredible years, so lucky to be a fan. 

Just now Aldo and Font was a great event too. 

Who you got, Poirier or Oliveira? Keen to see how Garbrandt does at flyweight

• Like 1

I did love the boxing around the time of Marvellous Marvin Hagler, who was my fav, being a fellow southpaw. Sugar Ray, Hearns and then Tyson was exciting, although i always wanted Mike to have a big fight with an equal. At the time, I remember just thinking he was just fighting chumps. Then when he bit the ear, it all got silly and I lost interest. Us Aussies had Jeff Fenech to cheer for which was good. I love Canelo Alvarez and will watch him if it's free to air but I wouldn't pay for boxing ATM. As far as MMA goes, I was always fascinated by Bruce Lee stuff as a kid and the mystical talents of kung fu. Even made some nunchuckas and practiced, with a few bruises for good measure. Haha! Also as a teen watched Bloodsport and Kickboxer and thought it was the best so set up some pulleys in the garage to do the splits - so funny looking back now. Had a mate where we went for summer holidays who was an instructor in Wing Chun Kung Fu and was taught by, apparantly, the only grandmaster left in the world, who lived in Melbourne Australia where I live. Whether true or not, the story is, the when Bruce went to the USA, he went to Australia. Anyway, my mate taught me a couple of silly moves that I could never actually use to affect in a real fight without training and practice - inside instep kick to the knee, phoenix eye punch etc. All this lead me to watch a lot of UFC. Early days of the Iceman and replays of before that with the Gracies then onto the Anderson Silva era and Jon Jones which was pretty exciting. And then Rhonda. Lost her title in Melbourne and went to pub to watch it. Totally packed out. Great atmosphere. At another pub when McGreggor decked Aldo. Huge amount of Irish backpackers at the pub. Atmosphere was awesome. Although, the lead up fight on the card was better. Only now watch what's free to air on my cable TV channels. Not the same atmosphere without the crowds, the last couple of years but have watched 'The Contender' series a bit. Yeah, I'm a fan but not totally full-on. Just love sport and the contest and how fit they are. This could be a good thread to chat. Thanks for posting. Cheers

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 1:19 AM, Edicion said:

Who you got, Poirier or Oliveira? Keen to see how Garbrandt does at flyweight

My sentimental favorite in the upcoming PPV is Oliveira, I've always been a fan, but I'd put my money on Poirier. Garbrandt will be a beast at 125 if he can carry his cardio and power down there with him. That's a BIG IF, I remember Dillishaw dropping down and coming in the ring looking like a skeleton and getting his ass handed to him. Always a bigger challenge for the smaller guys to cut that extra 10 pounds. Good card though- looking forward to it.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:29 PM, swampfoxer said:

Pretty big MMA fan here. Very into jiu-jitsu. Working on my purple belt, and love to see a good submission instead of a KO. 

I would like to start, seems like a valuable skill and lots of fun. Plus the dad bod could use the exercise 

On 12/9/2021 at 6:02 PM, Bill Hayes said:

I did love the boxing around the time of Marvellous Marvin Hagler, who was my fav, being a fellow southpaw. Sugar Ray, Hearns and then Tyson was exciting, although i always wanted Mike to have a big fight with an equal. At the time, I remember just thinking he was just fighting chumps. Then when he bit the ear, it all got silly and I lost interest. Us Aussies had Jeff Fenech to cheer for which was good. I love Canelo Alvarez and will watch him if it's free to air but I wouldn't pay for boxing ATM. As far as MMA goes, I was always fascinated by Bruce Lee stuff as a kid and the mystical talents of kung fu. Even made some nunchuckas and practiced, with a few bruises for good measure. Haha! Also as a teen watched Bloodsport and Kickboxer and thought it was the best so set up some pulleys in the garage to do the splits - so funny looking back now. Had a mate where we went for summer holidays who was an instructor in Wing Chun Kung Fu and was taught by, apparantly, the only grandmaster left in the world, who lived in Melbourne Australia where I live. Whether true or not, the story is, the when Bruce went to the USA, he went to Australia. Anyway, my mate taught me a couple of silly moves that I could never actually use to affect in a real fight without training and practice - inside instep kick to the knee, phoenix eye punch etc. All this lead me to watch a lot of UFC. Early days of the Iceman and replays of before that with the Gracies then onto the Anderson Silva era and Jon Jones which was pretty exciting. And then Rhonda. Lost her title in Melbourne and went to pub to watch it. Totally packed out. Great atmosphere. At another pub when McGreggor decked Aldo. Huge amount of Irish backpackers at the pub. Atmosphere was awesome. Although, the lead up fight on the card was better. Only now watch what's free to air on my cable TV channels. Not the same atmosphere without the crowds, the last couple of years but have watched 'The Contender' series a bit. Yeah, I'm a fan but not totally full-on. Just love sport and the contest and how fit they are. This could be a good thread to chat. Thanks for posting. Cheers

So much here resonates with me and my own experience. It's like I could've written it :rotfl:

On 12/9/2021 at 6:02 PM, Bill Hayes said:

watched 'The Contender' series

100% on this. They've been outstanding this year. Incredible fights, I've also enjoyed Looking for A Fight

On 12/9/2021 at 11:45 PM, TobaccoRoad said:

My sentimental favorite in the upcoming PPV is Oliveira, I've always been a fan, but I'd put my money on Poirier. Garbrandt will be a beast at 125 if he can carry his cardio and power down there with him. That's a BIG IF, I remember Dillishaw dropping down and coming in the ring looking like a skeleton and getting his ass handed to him. Always a bigger challenge for the smaller guys to cut that extra 10 pounds. Good card though- looking forward to it.

My money is on Poirier too, but would be great for Brazil if Oliveira grabs that neck at some point. 

Sean O'Malley got into Garbrandt's head at the press conference yesterday, and they're not even fighting! He could be a beast like you say if the weight cut doesn't drain him. Tai Tuivasa vs Sakai on the prelims should be a cracking fight too. Someone is going out in the first round via KO.

Great weekend to be a fan! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Edicion said:

I would like to start, seems like a valuable skill and lots of fun. Plus the dad bod could use the exercise 

This is exactly why I started 3 years ago. I'm very glad I did. 

Shoot me a PM with your location and I can help you find a good gym if you'd like. 

• Thanks 1