Reducing RH in Sealed Containers

RichG

Good afternoon from NY folks.

I currently have a cooler and a Tupperware that contain somewhere around 15-20 boxes each. 

One of these has 62 Boveda and the other 65 Boveda (sized more than enough for container size). They are stored at room temp which is maintained around 69-70 degrees constantly during summer. In the winter they will be stored around 67 degrees. Neither container seems to want to drop below 69-70 RH currently during NY summer.

Moving forward I would like to get these to a more optimal smoking RH somewhere below 65. I have a large cabinet being built, Avallo DDD, which will be ready in the fall and I would like them to go into their new home in ideal storage conditions. 

I was hoping someone could please offer some suggestions on how to best ramp the RH down on these boxes. My thought was to use two more boxes…with 62 Boveda. One small quarantine box to ramp down RH 1-2 boxes at a time, and one box to transfer all the quarantined boxes to, once RH is satisfied. 

I guess another question would be, is it worth the effort, or will the Avallo humidification system be able to bring these down on its own. If this is the case I will just dry box individual quantities to smoke. I plan on putting about 1000 cigars into the Avallo in the fall, which is well below its capacity.

Perhaps I am overthinking this, any input would be appreciated.

Dont have an answer as I just recently had a very large spike in rh in one of 8 total containers, without anything changing, so I'm curious to see the answers more experienced members post.

Sounds like a really nice, really big cabinet, congratulations.

Large cabinets are the best storage solution in my opinion.

Used to have one I built out of an old, used, 1970's, roughly 5ft by 5ft, curio cabinet.

The work was simple and the total cost for supplies was only like $150 or so with the cabinet itself being another $50.

I loved it and wish I could have it here, but no way to get it here from my storage unit 6 hours away, and wouldn't really fit in my room here at the veteran's home so I have to use tupperdoors and a 74qt weatherproof plastic container for my storage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 8/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, mrmessy said:

Why not just put them in the new humidor unseasoned. It would dry things out. I'm sure there would be some fluctuations before it leveled out.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

This is the advice I received from the builder. He recommended placing them in there without turning on the humidification system for a few days until the RH drops to my liking. I will probably go this route.