In praise of the retrohale...

carburation. 

nice. 

I didn't know how to describe what I do. I partially retrohale all cigars. But to fully retrohale, and completely close the air passage and only exhale the cigar smoke, with no diffusion, is done on select occasion. 

certain cigars I can't fully retrohale...too strong. But I've come to find the ones that are lighter, softer maybe ... they are most enjoyable. Recently a 2015 Connie 1 was amazing when fully retrohaling. 

I know that some people passively allow smoke to travel to their olfactory sensors by ensuring they continue breathing through their nose while allowing the smoke to fall out of the mouth. Now it‘s nowhere near as intense as a full retrohale, but it may be the happy medium for you. I tried it before I ever retrohaled, and the flavor was enhanced enough that I became determined to learn how.

Now I can’t enjoy most cigars without retrohaling, at least CC. On the non-Cuban side, Davidoff’s are naturally smooth and benefit quite a bit from a retrohale. In fact for some Davidoff’s, like the 2014 Art Edition LE I just smoked, I’d go so far as to say that if you aren’t retrohaling you’re wasting your money. 

• Like 2

Glad we could help :)

FWIW, I retrohale on just about every puff of every cigar I smoke, although sometimes a full retro and sometimes just a bit at the end.

I honestly can't imagine smoking cigars without it, the practice would be a waste of time and money, IMHO.

• Like 1