Cigar Blending & Leaf Grading

21 minutes ago, ATGroom said:

The answer, according to an interview with Jose Ilario, is that is wasn't produced.

In order to produce Medio Tiempo you leave the top couple of leaves on the plant for an extra two weeks after the regular ligero leaves are harvested. The extra time is what makes them into Medio Tiempo.

The technique and classification has been around since the 1930s, but it wasn't commonly done until the BHK range. I have seen documentation that backs up at least the 1930s part.

Whether that is marketing or not... well, you decide. But that's the official story.

Thanks. That does explain the sudden appearance in 2010, but my question remains--if it's so good why wasn't it cultivated--particularly by pre-Rev vegueros who were profit driven. 

Could it be simply that it's just not that special and clearly not worth the work and time?

I prefer the taste CC's undoubtedly. I think most NC's have a dark, gritty and earthy taste I can tolerate for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the cigar. But, the exception for me is Dunbarton and Trust, which are blended by Steve Saka. They too are for the most part darker flavor profiles and the wrappers are predominantly broadleaf, but they are blended in a way, where I enjoy the whole stick and seek more out. I don't know if its the selection of leaf, blend or a combination of the two, but it works perfectly for my palate; even though I heavily favor the flavor profile of CC's.

12 hours ago, mprach024 said:

These are the topics where you guys blow me away.  I’m a complete noob when it comes to actual farming.  I know the layers names, and the basics of what role they play in a blend but that’s about it.  You could show me a maple leaf and I’d say......ummmmm this is seco I believe.

Sometimes it's simple things. I remember visiting Hector Prieto's farm and we were talking about the curing barns and I noticed the curing barn was on a concrete slab. That's where he was told to put the curing barn.

The problem with concrete is that the temperature and moisture control compared to soil is not the same, so it's going to make the curing process much more difficult.

Farmers absolutely love you if you have genuine interest in the process and ask them questions.

2 hours ago, Walter19 said:

I prefer the taste CC's undoubtedly. I think most NC's have a dark, gritty and earthy taste I can tolerate for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the cigar. But, the exception for me is Dunbarton and Trust, which are blended by Steve Saka. They too are for the most part darker flavor profiles and the wrappers are predominantly broadleaf, but they are blended in a way, where I enjoy the whole stick and seek more out. I don't know if its the selection of leaf, blend or a combination of the two, but it works perfectly for my palate; even though I heavily favor the flavor profile of CC's.

The most commonly used wrapper in Nicaraguan cigars these days is Mexican San Andres, not Broadleaf. Broadleaf has become too expensive, and too rare to be core lines for most manufacturers.

An NC with a broadleaf profile can range dramatically. From the dark, gritty, earthy and leather profile as you describe, to sweet, creamy, baking spice and sometimes citrusy profile. It all depends on how the Broadleaf was finished and how they blend it.

Steve has an exceptional palate, and he tends to blend cigars for people with excellent palates. He's not a compromise kind of guy.

• Like 4

On 2/25/2021 at 4:39 PM, Cigar Surgeon said:

The classification is based on texture, not the smoking quality. Which is why you can technically have a viso that is classified as a ligero (at least as far as the NC world goes). Ligero essentially feels like one step removed from rawhide.

Miedo TIempo should be the top 2/3 leaves sticking almost vertically out of the plant. They're very small, they're very rare.

Ligero != Miedo Tiempo unless it was some sort of crazy high priming Ligero.

John, I'm not denying that MT is physically a thing. I've seen and felt MT leaves and "standard" ligero at the same time, they definitely look and feel different. 

My contention is that most smokers dont have the palate to discern between two cigars with the same blend, other than then MT/Ligero.  

Again, I'm not saying MT=Ligero. But, the half a dozen rollers and factory workers I've talked to about it do. 

It's still amazing to me that it went from being compost (not picked/produced) to being the Very Best few leaves on the plant, with the snap of a finger. If its so exceptional, why arent all the NC producers touting the MT they use in their blends? I dont see/smoke one tenth of the NC's you do on a yearly basis, but I'm not aware of a single NC producer stating that they use MT in a blend. Am I wrong?

21 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Sometimes it's simple things. I remember visiting Hector Prieto's farm and we were talking about the curing barns and I noticed the curing barn was on a concrete slab. That's where he was told to put the curing barn.

The problem with concrete is that the temperature and moisture control compared to soil is not the same, so it's going to make the curing process much more difficult.

Farmers absolutely love you if you have genuine interest in the process and ask them questions.

I've learned so much from Hector, we're all lucky to have a guy like him around. I agree with your last sentence 100%, but I would extend that to most Cuban's who work in the cigar industry. Not just farmers, they have a lot of pride and love to answer questions about what they do. 

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

John, I'm not denying that MT is physically a thing. I've seen and felt MT leaves and "standard" ligero at the same time, they definitely look and feel different. 

My contention is that most smokers dont have the palate to discern between two cigars with the same blend, other than then MT/Ligero.  

It's still amazing to me that it went from being compost (not picked/produced) to being the Very Best few leaves on the plant, with the snap of a finger. If its so exceptional, why arent all the NC producers touting the MT they use in their blends? I dont see/smoke one tenth of the NC's you do on a yearly basis, but I'm not aware of a single NC producer stating that they use MT in a blend. Am I wrong?

Ah yes well, we are in complete agreement there. I think there's only a handful of NC brands that use it, and the reason it isn't more widespread is that they're more concerned about having consistent sources of tobacco for a stable core brand. Off the top of my head, Southern Draw just released a new Kudzu that they said was a Medio Tiempo wrapper. Warped has used it as filler on a few releases. 

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

I've learned so much from Hector, we're all lucky to have a guy like him around. I agree with your last sentence 100%, but I would extend that to most Cuban's who work in the cigar industry. Not just farmers, they have a lot of pride and love to answer questions about what they do. 

I've never met a tobacco farmer in any country I've visited (US, Nicaragua, Cuba, DR) that isn't willing to take tobacco and farming until the sun sets. Also welcoming and open with information, it's fantastic. I need to visit Hector, it's been too long.