Cigar Limits....Cuban Citizen to US

UnionCityCubano

11 hours ago, JY0 said:

I barely avoided being arrested. I was pissed and argumentative...skating on a thin line. I asked for a supervisor and they refused. I asked to record their names and badge numbers... not a chance. The worst part was I am pretty sure they are supposed to provide you with seizure documents and they refused. When I pushed them on this the officer I was dealing with threatened to take the 100 cigars he was 'letting' me bring in. It seemed to me that they just wanted my cigars but no way to verify that.

I made the mistake of declaring them so I could pay the tax. Unfortunately I am sure I am on a list now for extra attention next time. I'm going back in the spring but I won't bring more than 100 cigars in to see what happens.

At the end this guy had the audacity to ask how I'd rate my experience with Customs that day. I just looked at him and said: I you F'ing kidding me? 

It was a brutal experience and I'm still not completely over it. I'm pissed at myself for declaring. I think if I didn't I would have sailed through with my haul.

It sounds like your attitude just made the experiences worse....just saying lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, filling out paperwork is a pain in the ass for Customs guys, so the recent crackdown certainly does seem like orders from up top. To be fair, most non-cigar smokers would assume a guy with $4000

Another weird trip through for me on Monday. CBP- Where you coming from? Me- Havana  CBP- What do you have?  Me- Cigars and Rum CBP- How many cigars?  Me -180 CBP- O

I was told by an old grumpy customs agent in Houston that the limit is 50 cigars. Luckily I only had 2 boxes in my carry on. Every single person on my flight from Havana got stopped and had their belo

On 12/26/2019 at 8:54 AM, JY0 said:

I barely avoided being arrested. I was pissed and argumentative...skating on a thin line. I asked for a supervisor and they refused. I asked to record their names and badge numbers... not a chance. The worst part was I am pretty sure they are supposed to provide you with seizure documents and they refused. When I pushed them on this the officer I was dealing with threatened to take the 100 cigars he was 'letting' me bring in. It seemed to me that they just wanted my cigars but no way to verify that.

I made the mistake of declaring them so I could pay the tax. Unfortunately I am sure I am on a list now for extra attention next time. I'm going back in the spring but I won't bring more than 100 cigars in to see what happens.

At the end this guy had the audacity to ask how I'd rate my experience with Customs that day. I just looked at him and said: I you F'ing kidding me? 

It was a brutal experience and I'm still not completely over it. I'm pissed at myself for declaring. I think if I didn't I would have sailed through with my haul.

Curious to how much you were trying to bring back.  Guessing you flew thru Miami.

I can't remember everything but do remember that I had 10 boxes of RASS ( I know but they were $57 a box!)  1 - 50 cab RASS and 2 cabs PLPC's, 2x25 QD'O #50's 1 box SW (kept that one), then 1 each RASCC, UP Connie A, and a few others I can't remember. I also had 5 bundles... 4 from Alex and one from Renaldo, and a bunch of singles and 3 packs that I brought back as gifts. 

I kept the SW, the 50 Cab of RASS and one bundle from Alex. Small consolation, my son was muling 2 Alex Bundles for me and made it through. They also missed the singles and 3 packs so I got those through as well.

A year before this trip my wife and I went on an awesome cruise out of Miami to Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuego and Havana. It was my first trip to Cuba. I spent about $3,000.00 on cigars and rum and declared what I had upon entry. They took me into an office, calculated the tax and I was on my way.

I'm going again in the fall with my other son but we will stick to 100 cigars each just to see what happens. I guess I will find out if I am on a list for extra attention or not. We will avoid Miami for sure. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JY0 said:

I can't remember everything but do remember that I had 10 boxes of RASS ( I know but they were $57 a box!)  1 - 50 cab RASS and 2 cabs PLPC's, 2x25 QD'O #50's 1 box SW (kept that one), then 1 each RASCC, UP Connie A, and a few others I can't remember. I also had 5 bundles... 4 from Alex and one from Renaldo, and a bunch of singles and 3 packs that I brought back as gifts. 

I kept the SW, the 50 Cab of RASS and one bundle from Alex. Small consolation, my son was muling 2 Alex Bundles for me and made it through. They also missed the singles and 3 packs so I got those through as well.

A year before this trip my wife and I went on an awesome cruise out of Miami to Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuego and Havana. It was my first trip to Cuba. I spent about $3,000.00 on cigars and rum and declared what I had upon entry. They took me into an office, calculated the tax and I was on my way.

I'm going again in the fall with my other son but we will stick to 100 cigars each just to see what happens. I guess I will find out if I am on a list for extra attention or not. We will avoid Miami for sure. 

Thanks.  I once brought back 34 boxes, then 20, 17, my latest trip was 12.  Each time I go I get more paranoid.  Probably only 8 for my trip in May.  Atlanta seems to be fine with 200 cigars.  But I too would be pissed off and probably would have spouted off and got myself in trouble had I been in your situation.  I feel your pain.  I want to be honest, but if this is how they treat you, forget it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another weird trip through for me on Monday.

CBP- Where you coming from?

Me- Havana 

CBP- What do you have? 

Me- Cigars and Rum

CBP- How many cigars? 

Me -180

CBP- OK, we’ll have you go with this officer  and pay your duty.

Me - Duty on what? There are 2 of us our limit is 200

CBP- Hesitates, obviously caught him not knowing what he’s doing. Well......They’ll let you know.

Behind the Iron curtain - Nice Guy CBP -What are you bringing back ? ME-Cigars and Rum- Hands us our passports and tells us to have a good night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I brought five friends who had never been to Havana this past January on a cigar tour.  It was my third trip in a year.  Flew through Miami.  None of us were stopped.  We each had between 75 and 300 sticks.  Luggage went right from the international carousel to the one for our connecting flight without stopping.  Easy peesey, 

• Like 2

The last few times I went through Ft. Lauderdale, my bags were sent to secondary inspections. If you declare over $800 or more on the APC machine, you will be sent to secondary inspection, where they will x-ray everything you have. BE honest, and hopefully they will just charge you a small duty fee. I've been keeping my count around 200-250, and have had no problems. I also brought back 8 bottles of rum, which they taxed me $28. They let the cigars go un-taxed, but warn you the next time just bring back 50. There is no rhyme or reason with CBP, so just be honest, and don't be too greedy. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garagedragon said:

The last few times I went through Ft. Lauderdale, my bags were sent to secondary inspections. If you declare over $800 or more on the APC machine, you will be sent to secondary inspection, where they will x-ray everything you have. BE honest, and hopefully they will just charge you a small duty fee. I've been keeping my count around 200-250, and have had no problems. I also brought back 8 bottles of rum, which they taxed me $28. They let the cigars go un-taxed, but warn you the next time just bring back 50. There is no rhyme or reason with CBP, so just be honest, and don't be too greedy. Cheers!

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, last time through FLL last summer, nothing was even asked and I had around 200. I’m coming back through ATL in a few weeks so hopefully no hassle. I will have my wife and only about 250 between us. 

Craig

I remember reading about JYO's first trip prior to mine, and now hearing this it's really awful, especially since they didn't document anything. I'd like to plan another trip back with the wife, but clearly things here in the US are getting tighter and tighter. 

• 3 weeks later...