Cohiba Esplendido NOV 18... why so inconsistent?

I recently watched Rob @Elpresidente and Ken share their review of the Cohiba Esplendido (several years ago review) and Rob mentioned frequently about the inconsistency with such an expensive cigar, so I had to try one. As I complete the first third, I must first note I’m a SUPER novice, but I’m surprised how firm the draw is on this cigar, albeit, the flavors are excellent compared to the few I’ve smoked thus far. But this required A LOT of attention to maintain the burn throughout the first 1/3.

I must say, I’m deeply involved in siglo II at the moment, but I’m keen to know others experiences? Please share and if you agree or disagree with the inconsistency sentiment.

Welcome to the world of Cuban cigars. The word inconsistency is perhaps at the top of the dictionary list. Either you accept them as they are with their quirks or you smoke Non- Cubans.

• Like 4

Should not blame only the "Cuban lottery" in quality.

Cuban cigars are also very demanding in terms of storage, acclimatization and Smoking. In some cases, manipulations with humidity helps to restore an acceptable draw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[mention=31765]nKostyan[/mention] would appreciate any humidity manipulation tips you have up you sleeve.

All options are described on the forum. Starting from “dry boxing”, if it don’t helps, further reducing humidity to 65%, 60% (do not forget about the temperature of 16-18 Celsius). The members of the forum also write that aging helps to improve traction (I think at the age of fermentation, the tobacco becomes thinner).
Also sometimes it helps to gently rumple the cigar, rotating it and squeezing with your fingers.
  • Thanks 1

NOV 18 Esplendido is very young. Still, I haven't seen too many poor Esplendido this past year. 

As has been suggested, get that Relative Humidity down. It helps no end. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nKostyan said:

All options are described on the forum. Starting from “dry boxing”, if it don’t helps, further reducing humidity to 65%, 60% (do not forget about the temperature of 16-18 Celsius). The members of the forum also write that aging helps to improve traction (I think at the age of fermentation, the tobacco becomes thinner).
Also sometimes it helps to gently rumple the cigar, rotating it and squeezing with your fingers.

@nKostyan your explanations are always super detailed! THANK YOU! I'll check the forum archives and age, humidity and temp ratios.