New to Habanos - a couple questions

Hey all, I saw the recent post from Wednesday asking for a definitive guide to aging cigars. As a new-ish connoisseur to cigars (I've smoked for many years but have only recently started to learn more about the finer points of whiskey/wine/cigar tasting) I was wondering if anyone might help a newbie understand *why* we age cigars.

I've read a bit about hints of ammonia dissipating after aging for a bit. I'm excitedly awaiting my first sampler, and wanted to learn if I should age them at all before dipping into them?

Also, I've read that having a scotch or whiskey with a cigar, while nice, can kill some of your discernment of some of the more complex and subtle notes - is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

- Rob

@wmcstudios thanks for the reach out! This thread will probably serve as about as good as it gets to get you underway. It's replete with sage advice. Hope this helps!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

@wmcstudios thanks for the reach out! This thread will probably serve as about as good as it gets to get you underway. It's replete with sage advice. Hope this helps!

Awesome, thank you!

3 hours ago, wmcstudios said:

Also, I've read that having a scotch or whiskey with a cigar, while nice, can kill some of your discernment of some of the more complex and subtle notes - is there any truth to this?

Tough subject, lots of contention... conclusion is always do what you enjoy.

If you want to taste the flavor of both, you should do it separately. Some people like to say how cigars change the profile of whisky. To me, it is a tragedy to alter or lose the flavor of a good whisky and good cigar. That being said, whisky tasting and cigar tasting do not really go together. I do still have a nice whisky with a cigar, but I tend to space out a sip an entire minute from a puff in order to mitigate interference.

On the other hand drinking and smoking go together great! I usually pair a cheaper whisky/beer/wine etc... with a Cigar that I don't have to think much about (and a bit on the strong side).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 11:44 AM, Ethernut said:

Great read! Lots of useful stuff in there thanks for taking the time to break it down and help out a noob like me ?? @Ethernut

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 2:21 PM, wmcstudios said:

*why* we age cigars.

My own personal thoughts / experience / conclusions:

If a cigar needs aging, then something was done wrong somewhere along the line. A properly produced cigar should be smokeable throughout it's life before decay. It might exhibit differing characteristics throughout it's life cycle, but should be smokeable. There are always exceptions, but that's my own, personal opinion.

• Like 3