Wineries in Oz to Visit: Yarra Valley

So we are coming to Oz next year, just booked the flights February into March, and plan on spending 14 days exploring Sydney, Melbourne and the Yarra Valley.  My wife and I are very much into wine, but admittedly know little about Australian wine.  

I would love to hear thoughts on which Yarra wineries to visit.  Any suggestions?  

On a side note, we are still not sure how we will be getting from Melbourne to the Yarra valley, but are flirting with renting a car.  As someone who has only ever driven on the right side, will driving on the left really screw me up?  Also, is the gas pedal and break switched as well?  If so, are the cars designed so you use your left foot to drive?  

2 hours ago, Kitchen said:

So we are coming to Oz next year, just booked the flights February into March, and plan on spending 14 days exploring Sydney, Melbourne and the Yarra Valley.  My wife and I are very much into wine, but admittedly know little about Australian wine.  

I would love to hear thoughts on which Yarra wineries to visit.  Any suggestions?  

On a side note, we are still not sure how we will be getting from Melbourne to the Yarra valley, but are flirting with renting a car.  As someone who has only ever driven on the right side, will driving on the left really screw me up?  Also, is the gas pedal and break switched as well?  If so, are the cars designed so you use your left foot to drive?  

not really sure if you are serious about the car thing so won't touch that but the yarra is very close to melbourne. easy to stay there. but a car useful to get around. but be really careful. tourists die every year as not used to the correct side of the road. 

try de bortoli, domaine chandon, oakridge (eat there), giant steps, yering station, tarrawarra (really impressive art gallery). perhaps also the four pillars distillery. also eat at the healesville pub. all depends how long you are staying. driving around, you'll find plenty of small interesting ones to avoid crowds. 

I agree with Ken's list. Domaine Chandon is a really nice winery. I'd also recommend Punt Road, Pimpernel Vineyards and Yileena Park.

As for driving, it depends on how well you can adapt. You may need to concentrate  I had no problems switching from RHD to LHD when I went to the US. Pedals are the same setup, but the gear shift is on the other side. I would not be driving if you are visiting wineries, especially if you intend to taste and don't have a designated driver. There are several tour services you can book, that will take you to a set of wineries, or build your own tour.

Thank you Ken and Fuzz, and I was being serious about the driving.  Good to know the pedals are consistent, although driving while tasting may not be a good idea.  My wife and I went to Beaune last year and did the bike tour thing (we ride all the time ?).  Maybe we will do that here as well.  

And two years ago when in Bermuda, getting use to the look left, instead of right, first when crossing the street was certainly something learned real fast.  (I have an Australian client in NYC who talked about the same issue when she first moved here, getting use to looking right first.)  

I heard of Domaine Chandon as a place to visit, and will look into the others.  Should be fun; we plan on spending three nights in Yarra.  

While in Melbourne, you might want to spend a day visiting Mornington Peninsula wineries as well - only about an hour or so drive from the CBD. I like Ten Minutes by Tractor and Montalto. Mostly Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. I would look into finding a driver or tour because the drink driving rules in Australia are quite strict, not to mention the danger. Stay safe and enjoy. Cheers.

Definitely wouldn't recommend driving during tastings. Cops set up RBTs to catch people in winery regions. Even if you spit, the alcohol can be picked up on passive breathalyzers (the speak into type, not the blow into a tube versions). Then it will be a trip back to the station for a proper test. Not a good way to spend your vacation. This also means no drunk bike riding.

Our BAC limit in Aus is 0.05%. As of 20th May in NSW, anyone over the limit (even low range) will immediately lose their licence. NSW has implemented a zero tolerance policy. Same goes for anyone driving with illicit drugs in their system. Gonna be a roaring trade in personal breathalyzers.

19 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Definitely wouldn't recommend driving during tastings. Cops set up RBTs to catch people in winery regions. Even if you spit, the alcohol can be picked up on passive breathalyzers (the speak into type, not the blow into a tube versions). Then it will be a trip back to the station for a proper test. Not a good way to spend your vacation. This also means no drunk bike riding.

Our BAC limit in Aus is 0.05%. As of 20th May in NSW, anyone over the limit (even low range) will immediately lose their licence. NSW has implemented a zero tolerance policy. Same goes for anyone driving with illicit drugs in their system. Gonna be a roaring trade in personal breathalyzers.

Good to know, especially on the bikes.  

2 hours ago, Bill Hayes said:

While in Melbourne, you might want to spend a day visiting Mornington Peninsula wineries as well - only about an hour or so drive from the CBD. I like Ten Minutes by Tractor and Montalto. Mostly Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. I would look into finding a driver or tour because the drink driving rules in Australia are quite strict, not to mention the danger. Stay safe and enjoy. Cheers.

definitely agree re visiting mornington peninsula. stay at jackalope if the budget extends. great place.

bill noted two terrific wineries. there are plenty more there. main rudge, stoniers, paradigm hill, eldredge, kooyong, a heap more. 

• Like 1