Shopping duty free @ Athens...

Have any of you shopped for CCs at the international airport in Athens? I'll be there in September. Unfortunately the local cigar shops like Miamis and Cigar A, which are within minutes of my hotel will be closed. I'm staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Problem is I arrive on a Saturday around 5 pm local time and those shops close around that time. They're also closed on Sundays. I'll be in Santorini and Mykonos but not so sure about cigar shopping on the islands. 

Interested if anyone has experience shopping on either of those islands or better yet the duty free at the airport. What's the assortment/ pricing at the airport like? Thank you all for the help.

• Like 1

Hello, a good place will be Polyzos shop in Kolonaki area 10' walk from your hotel-I consider the best shop down town Athens, don t expect anything good in the islands, Athens airport duty free can be good if you have luck! prices are pretty good

• Like 1

I looked at most of the shops around Athens and they close at 5 or 6 pm local. My flight arrives at 4 pm so I might get lucky if I can squeeze a few mins in any of those shops. It seems like they're all closed on Sunday. Something similar happened to me in Argentina. Sunday most shops are closed but I managed to find a single shop was open. I'll try my luck again in Athens. I hope their airport has regionals which is what I'm interested in. 

Cheers

I was able to pick up one box of 10 of QDO 54 at the Athens Airport Duty Free for a fair price. They have two humidors (one is duty free if traveling outside of the EU and the other isn't duty free) which I found odd.  The selection in the duty free humidor had a couple of LEs and a decent selection of regular production.  

• Like 1

Awesome to hear Jason! I'm going to try to grab as many of those Dip Ammunition Phoenicia as possible. I had another one this past weekend with @SigmundChurchill Elliott and it was nothing short of amazing. 

That is rather interesting that they'd have two shops like that. Luckily for us we are traveling in and out of the EU. Cheers!

• Like 1

Miamis is the only place I bought anything from in July last year because Syntagma Square was much closer to me than the LCDH. Decent selection and decent price as well as friendly staff. Still not as good as pricing you see here though.

I was in Mykonos for a few nights and thankfully I brought probably 30 cigars because I didn't see much in the way of cigars on the island. In a pinch there are a few little stands that sell cigars, but they are almost always small ring guage tubos and machine rolled cigarillos - also, while they may be able to have a moderate handle on humidity, in no way were these shops air conditioned, so the few Cohibas I saw were not in ideal condition.

On a side note, also bring a lot of money for Mykonos. It's as expensive to party there as London, NY, LA. Thanksfully the souvlaki joints are cheap if you're drunk and feel like plowing down some calories soaked in tzatziki.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the heads up Edward. I might have all of 1 hour on Saturday to check into my room and run over to Miamis which is literally a 3 min walk from my hotel. I might stop at the duty free when I land to see what they do or don't have. If they have those Ammunitions then I'd be willing to hold out until my flight back. I have to assume the duty free prices are likely better than the shops in town. 

14 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

Awesome to hear Jason! I'm going to try to grab as many of those Dip Ammunition Phoenicia as possible. I had another one this past weekend with @SigmundChurchill Elliott and it was nothing short of amazing. 

That is rather interesting that they'd have two shops like that. Luckily for us we are traveling in and out of the EU. Cheers!

Just to be clear, the humidors are not very big at the Athens airport.  They are made of clear plastic and about 5 feet tall by 4 feet wide. 2 of them like this.

And put me down for two boxes of the Diplo Ammunition lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1