Announcement. Classic Rock club started.

9 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

great idea. though i suspect we'll find out that in the long term, we do not all agree on just what is classic rock (and thank you for cutting U2 at this early stage - good work). mind you, there should be enough overlap to make most fans happy. 

Come on an join in the fun Ken! I purposely left out slagging Bruce in that intro in order to draw you into the club.. Where we would then slag Bruce. :P  :D  But seriously, its all in good fun. 

definitely in.

looked up the "definition" of classic rock - "classic rock songs are generally performed by white male acts from either the United States or the United Kingdom, have a four-four time, very rarely exceed the time limit of four minutes, were composed by the musicians themselves, are sung in English, played by a 'classical' rock formation (drums, bass, guitar, keyboard instruments) and were released on a major label after 1964." how is hendrix and 'all along the watchtower' not classic rock and the antithesis of that definition?

which sounds rather depressing.

there is an 'ultimate classic rock' site - i was dismayed to see that their top 100 had only one bruce (i think it was only one per artist) and only at number 16 - hacks and heathens! but felt better when i saw that the one artist, as far as i could see, for whom they have done an all time best songs list was bruce. although as far as i could see, they simply took the single from each album and named it top song. very lazy. 

i do have one suggestion for the 'club' - it should really be called 'bruce and other classic rock'. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

definitely in.

looked up the "definition" of classic rock - "classic rock songs are generally performed by white male acts from either the United States or the United Kingdom, have a four-four time, very rarely exceed the time limit of four minutes, were composed by the musicians themselves, are sung in English, played by a 'classical' rock formation (drums, bass, guitar, keyboard instruments) and were released on a major label after 1964." how is hendrix and 'all along the watchtower' not classic rock and the antithesis of that definition?

which sounds rather depressing.

there is an 'ultimate classic rock' site - i was dismayed to see that their top 100 had only one bruce (i think it was only one per artist) and only at number 16 - hacks and heathens! but felt better when i saw that the one artist, as far as i could see, for whom they have done an all time best songs list was bruce. although as far as i could see, they simply took the single from each album and named it top song. very lazy. 

i do have one suggestion for the 'club' - it should really be called 'bruce and other classic rock'. 

Unless Bruce is Bruce Dickinson or "Bruce Bruce" from Samson this is wildly misguided in my mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1