Partagas E2 (2017/18) 12DCRC

After trying a few D4 and shorts, I pretty firmly decided that I do not like strong sourdough in my cigars.  Still, I was eager to try the E2, if for no other reason than Pres’ Behike comparison.  I’ve never had a Behike, but I can now say with certainty, this is an excellent cigar.  Paired with a Diplomatico RE rum, on a beautiful 68 degree sunny afternoon.

The wrapper looked great, and the construction felt flawless. The draw was firm, tighter than I prefer, but acceptable.  The cold draw had a bit of baking spice that I couldn’t put my finger on.

First puffs were sourdough, no getting around it.  But it wasn’t nearly as sharp as a D4.  It was toasted, creamy, and smooth.  A little savory,  like crusty sourdough bread dipped in some kind of creamy soup.  The first third required a minor touch up to stop a canoe.

Second third, the sourdough completely disappeared, and a mix of salted nuts took over.  Still creamy, and just a very nice toasted tobacco.  The burn evened out, producing lots of smoke off the foot, and nice white ash.  I took my time going inside to top up my drink, and returned to find it still going strong.

Final third, things got earthy, musty, with some nutty coffee.  Started to canoe again, a quick touch up fixed it and brought tons of thick smoke, but it never got bitter or harsh.  I finally put it down at an hour and 50 minutes.  Could have easily stretched it another ten or fifteen minutes, but I was thoroughly satisfied.

This cigar was an absolute winner.  The only faults were the slightly tight draw, and a couple touch ups.  And the jaw breaker ring gage.  But all is forgiven.  This one made up for a lot of duds.

TLXmoAU.jpg

9uKNVHW.jpg

• Like 2

This was from the Xmas sampler, so we don’t know the box codes, other than Pres said they are all 2018 or late 2017. And it spent less than three weeks in my humidor/dry box, so it was pretty fresh. I think that may be at least partly the reason for the tight draw. I can’t wait to try one properly rested. I have a couple boxes of 5 patiently waiting ?

• Thanks 1