Funny thing about Maduros CC vs NC

Being in the US, I naturally started my quest in our beloved hobby with NCs. Over time, I've gravitated to habanos because, well, we all know why don't we. I still smoke the occasional NC, as there are some fine sticks out there. Given a choice, I'll choose a nice Maduro more often than not.  For example, I've had the pleasure of smoking a handful of the Padron 50th anniversary (The Hammer). As such, I get much more pleasure from the Maduro than the natural. To me, the body is fuller and the smoke richer. The cocoa suits my flavor profile better I guess. This goes for most of the NC brands out there. Padron, Fuente, Tatuaje, etc.  

Because of this, I thought I may find the same true with CCs. Not so it seems. I reach for Party Mad 1s or Secretos or Magicos from time to time, but they never hit the Cuban sweet spot I wish they could. Sure, they are worth smoking. I do enjoy them, more the Cohiba variety than Partagas (which is the opposite for the other vitolas in these marcas, for me anyway). I do realize they are supposed to be different than other Habanos. They just aren't what I want them to be...whatever that is. I do like darker wrappers on certain marcas (Monte, SCLH, VR, etc.). But more often than not, I prefer light Colorado or even Rosado if we're talking RyJ.  

Just my mad ramblings as I sit with a Partagas Maduro 1. Opinions or thoughts?

Cheers!

• Like 3

First, NC maduros and CC maduros as a category aren't comparable as there's no set criteria for a NC wrapper to be maduro. An NC maduro wrapper could simply be standard wrapper that's darker in shade or could even by dyed dark (yes, this still occurs). Cuban maduro wrappers are always upper tapado leaf that undergoes an additional fermentation, and in the case of Cohiba are then aged an additional 5 years. 

I consider the maduro wrappers to simply be a vehicle or gimmick for the rest of the cigar or the line. As I said, a NC maduro wrapper might not be any different than a standard wrapper and as far as the Cuban maduros I think the two maduro lines (Party and Cohiba) are totally different blends for the marcas. Who knows what impact the wrapper alone has on them but I think what's good about them is less the wrapper and more the overall blend. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, retrofail said:

Good point. A lot of NC Maduro simply refer to the color. But not all. Many houses do procure true Maduro leaves. Top 2/3 level of leaves and extensive aging and/or sun ripening. 

Sure, I don't doubt some do. But few houses if any disclose their criteria for maduro leaf. In fact, I'm not aware that any ever have. If you know of any formal statements from any of the major NC producers' criteria regarding their maduro wrapper I'd be quite interested to see that. NC producers tend to be highly secretive regarding everything from planting, fertilizing, processing and blending. Lots of competition. Cuba is actually quite forthcoming regarding this info relatively speaking--no competition. 

• Like 1

No formal statements per se, but this old article discusses the various processes used. It acknowledges that dying or boiling and other short cuts were prevelant during the "boom", but "reputable" blenders have returned to traditional methods. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/that-old-black-magic-8470

I will concede the NC market is much more secretive and less forthcoming. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retrofail said:

No formal statements per se, but this old article discusses the various processes used. It acknowledges that dying or boiling and other short cuts were prevelant during the "boom", but "reputable" blenders have returned to traditional methods. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/that-old-black-magic-8470

I will concede the NC market is much more secretive and less forthcoming. 

I've seen that article before. It's a good piece on maduros in general. According to that article it seems the premier producers are processing maduro wrapper longer and at higher temps while the Cubans claim a "second" fermentation and I suppose temps are unknown--may or may not be higher than for standard wrapper leaf. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, retrofail said:

Being in the US, I naturally started my quest in our beloved hobby with NCs. 

Because of this, I thought I may find the same true with CCs. Not so it seems.

Totally agree.  I was a mostly NC maduro smoker before I got some CCs.  I thought Cuban maduros must be the best thing ever!...but they're not.  Light colored CCs and dark colored NCs for me.  

• Like 4