Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure de Luxe TOS SEP 16 Weekend Review Competition

2 hours ago, Cubadust said:

So, my first try at cigar review.

I was actually a little nervous before trying this Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure de Luxe, mainly because I don't get to smoke that much during the winter time here in Sweden so when I actually get the chance I want it to be good.

The nervousness came from the wrapper. EL- Dark plus. Thick. Rough. Sandpaper like. By the look of it I was expecting a flavour profile that would range between chewing on old soil and burning car tires.

Flavour.thumb.jpg.1e8c79eac01e251e77e00ed4a7bf51bc.jpg

On the other hand, well constructed (maybe a little on the tighter side), heavy wood taste and aroma at cold with a tingling touch of cedar.

First third. Starting out medium close to light, main taste is wood and some black pepper. A touch of cheap gas station espresso. A little too tight so not that much smoke. All in all pretty bland but not as horrible as I feared.

Second third. Not sure if I would call it a second third because it pretty much came and went. It was really nice while it lasted though. The tight construction opened up so I got nice thick smoke. Still lots of wood, better quality espresso, sambuca with coffee beans and some nice creame. It was some glourius five minutes.

image3.thumb.jpeg.6bd9edd76ab25c678fa04514da84ffa2.jpeg

Last third. You know the low end lunch restaurants. A chinese buffet maybe. The pot of coffee thats been standing in the back room on high heat for a couple of hours. When you pour it in your cup you get that extra layer of liquid that looks like oil on water. The milk gets sour and breaks in to small lumps. You just stare at it with teary eyes and get that ”I deserve better than this” feeling. Bitter coffee. Smoke alarm burnt sugar. It feels like I got small pieces of bark stuck to my gum and between my teeth. Not sure how it got there. Don't want to know. Needles to say I didn't go @JayHabanos HdM Epicure de NUB on this one.

image2.thumb.jpeg.b572be3047edb0ab360f47b1eeb929ef.jpeg

The interesting part tough, is that it still left me curious. There was no delicacy to this cigar what so ever, just random over the top flavours being thrown at you. But it was that blink of an eye middle part that got me thinking that just maybe, maybe there could be a PLPC ”over the night” transformation for something quite enjoyable. But I'd say the odds are againts me, I get the feeling that there's a bigger chance/risk that everything just fades away and becomes muted. I'll hide this box in the back for at least another six months to a year.

That's all for now.

As El Prez would have put it, Have a cracker weekend!

I have smoked a few Deluxes, that wrapper doesnt look l;ike any of the wrappers on the deluxes i have had, sure is wasnt counterfeit...sorry for the not so good experience

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hanjr said:

I have smoked a few Deluxes, that wrapper doesnt look l;ike any of the wrappers on the deluxes i have had, sure is wasnt counterfeit...sorry for the not so good experience

The first thing I did when I got the box was to check authenticity and the small print since it looked the way it did. It all checks out. But I've even thought about buying another box with another code just to see what they (probably) would taste like.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy that one very much. I've gone through about 10 boxes of those and it's one of my favorite cigars. All of the boxes I have had had very dark rough rappers but they smoked beautifully. Don't give up on those, see if they get better with a little bit of time.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy that one very much. I've gone through about 10 boxes of those and it's one of my favorite cigars. All of the boxes I have had had very dark rough rappers but they smoked beautifully. Don't give up on those, see if they get better with a little bit of time.

Maybe they’ll come around. Let just hope for the best.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Thanks for a great review, sometimes a cigar just isn't top notch for one reason or another.
I've not tried this particular Hoyo, so appreciate you taking the time.
Looking forward to your next review.

The cigar tasted more odd than bad. Maybe everything comes together after a year or so.