Palio Cutter

Happy Holidays to all members.  Quick question about a gift I have received.  Got a Palio flat black cutter.  When I looked at the box it said

it was made in China.  Has that always been the case.  And I noticed that the little embelm which used to have a "horse" with the letters

saying; "BOLT" Brothers of the leaf is has been changed with the word "Palio".  Does anyone know if this is the standard now.

Thanks.........

Happy Holidays to all members.  Quick question about a gift I have received.  Got a Palio flat black cutter.  When I looked at the box it said
it was made in China.  Has that always been the case.  And I noticed that the little embelm which used to have a "horse" with the letters
saying; "BOLT" Brothers of the leaf is has been changed with the word "Palio".  Does anyone know if this is the standard now.
Thanks.........
Palio was acquired in 2015 by Quality Importers. Production was relocated from USA to China.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2017 at 5:52 PM, chris12381 said:

Palio was acquired in 2015 by Quality Importers. Production was relocated from USA to China.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

...and maybe Palio will no more be the ones we used to have.

I used to have the made in USA version which I gave to my cousin (it was my favourite cutter and sliced through like butter)

Was late to get a replacement and ended up getting the new version-don't like the quality,blade has nicks and catches when I cut.

Trying to find the older version is proving extremely difficult now ?

Palio is the worse cutter i have seen so far. The first one i had broke right away due to the blades hitting each other. I ordered another one and the movement was too stiff and the blades did not cut properly. I did not even bother to return them and in the garbage they went. I'll never buy nor will i ever recommend a Palio product to anyone.

Palio is the worse cutter i have seen so far. The first one i had broke right away due to the blades hitting each other. I ordered another one and the movement was too stiff and the blades did not cut properly. I did not even bother to return them and in the garbage they went. I'll never buy nor will i ever recommend a Palio product to anyone.

Guess that was the post 2015 one when they moved the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is very hard finding the cutters made in the US before 2015.  I guess when I'm in either Japan or Europe (France, Spain....)

I'll see if i can find them.

3 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

I have a Palio, but forget when I acquired it. Are there any obvious differences between the US made and Chinese made versions?  Pretty sure I've had it a while though.....  

In terms of physical appearance the two versions look the same however to the trained eye (I have several years in precision engineering) there is a quality difference in the blades in that the newer version lacks the precision and quality of the ones made in USA IMO. Also I am finding the newer version "sticks" more in the mechanism/composite body.

• Like 1

Was reading the origininal post and went on my files to find out the date when i bought mine. One was bought in December 2015 but can't find info for my second order. I went and looked at pictures of both Palio's and both had the amblem with the horse and the BOTL letters just above the horse. Not sure if this is an indication of if the cutters were produced in USA or in China.

Cheers

3 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

Was reading the origininal post and went on my files to find out the date when i bought mine. One was bought in December 2015 but can't find info for my second order. I went and looked at pictures of both Palio's and both had the amblem with the horse and the BOTL letters just above the horse. Not sure if this is an indication of if the cutters were produced in USA or in China.

Cheers

Made in USA if the logo is the horse with BOTL 

That’s a shame that they’ve moved and seemingly dropped off in quality. My USA-made one makes a wonderful cut, even if it is a bit lacking in style. 

Found an old thread on puff.com where I think the original owner said production would never be moved to China. I guess he kept his world whilst he still owned the firm and we only saw this happen after Quality Importers took over. Not to bash China, quality over the years for manufacturing in general has improved dramatically however unless there is passion from management to keep the standard, things inevitably slacken and the consumer will eventually notice the difference which is the case with the new version of this great cutter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canoli said:

Seems like all good things get moved to China where the quality drops.

35 minutes ago, torsion said:

Not to bash China, quality over the years for manufacturing in general has improved dramatically however unless there is passion from management to keep the standard, things inevitably slacken

Exactly this. Was about to make a similar comment in defence of China. It's not China to be blamed for this, but the mother-companies and brand holders letting produce in China. It's onto them to set the manufacturing standards - QC, test, investigate, readjust, QC again. Such cannot be had for free, even not in the Far East. Let's face it, Chinese engineers and China facilities are meanwhile capable of producing to the highest western standards, using the same top, state-of-the-art western machinery. But still, the standards have to be set (as would have to be at home, but that is often a communication and cost issue, more than a true lack of skills and capabilities). And a guillotine cutter is not exactly space technology.... If the new product is crap consumers should boycott it of course.

• Like 2

You can get some of the best made stuff out of China, if you're willing to pay for it. However, most companies that move production to China (and other Asian countries), are not looking for the best quality and rarely want to pay for it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not to hijack  - but in MY opinion there is no cutter better than the Cuban Crafters Perfect cutter...looks to be onsale:
https://www.cubancrafters.com/cuban-crafters-perfect-cigar-cutters-cuts-the-exact-amount-off-all-ring-sizes/

I guess I need to hold one to understand it. The description does not match the pictures from what I can see. My palio is one of the Chinese versions, and I have all the problems mentioned. Will be getting something new soon. Thanks for the tip on the CC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Certainly, Chinese production does not necersserily mean bad production.  Apple’s products are made in China, and they’re made to some of the highest standards and closest tolerances of any consumer device. As a violin player, I also have found some fantastic Chinese-made violins for a fraction of their European-made counterparts.

It all comes down to where they shave costs. If you invest in good machines, good raw materials, implement a good process, and oversee it regularly, then the quality can be quite high. You find your cost savings in the drastically lower labor costs. But if you skimp on any of these areas, quality will inevitably suffer. It seems many companies shift to Chinese production and let these other categories weaken too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarryNY said:

Not to hijack  - but in MY opinion there is no cutter better than the Cuban Crafters Perfect cutter...looks to be onsale:

https://www.cubancrafters.com/cuban-crafters-perfect-cigar-cutters-cuts-the-exact-amount-off-all-ring-sizes/

Totally agree, this is what i've been using for the past 3 years