Stopwatch: Robusto

17 hours ago, planetary said:

Seems like we're toward the end of submissions, so here are the (potentially) final stats, with 42 robusto entries.  (Two non-robusto entries were submitted, but not included, for rigor.)

The data is here.

Mean   70  minutes
Median  71  minutes
Mode  80  minutes
Std Dev  17.81  minutes

Average age:  3.8  years
Average score:  90.1  points

Finally, I noticed a weak correlation between time of day and the duration of the smoke.  For every 3 hours which pass during the day, a smoke tends to last 5 minutes longer -- an observation which we should take with a grain of salt...

Hope these rough findings are of interest.  There may be a bit more buried in here, but the data set is limited.

Cheers!

Planetary: YOU ROCK!!! :party:  I love this stuff. :thumbsup:  Thanks! :)

• Like 2

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like we're toward the end of submissions, so here are the (potentially) final stats, with 42 robusto entries.  (Two non-robusto entries were submitted, but not included, for rigor.) The dat

I must say, it's not easy distinguishing a vitola, but thank God for Cuban Cigar Website! Below is a list of current regular production Robustos (50 ring gauge x 124 mm or 4.9 inches approx.), includi

If requested by two fine gents like John and Zane, how can I refuse?  I don't expect to find many correlations, so I think the main finding will be the duration histogram.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, thi

3 hours ago, planetary said:

Seems like we're toward the end of submissions, so here are the (potentially) final stats, with 42 robusto entries.  (Two non-robusto entries were submitted, but not included, for rigor.)

The data is here.

Mean   70  minutes
Median  71  minutes
Mode  80  minutes
Std Dev  17.81  minutes

The cigars chosen were:

piechart.thumb.png.f8bfebe553b199fd9f15c58143a3072d.png

With an average of 70, the actual distribution of scores looked like this, with a normal distribution plotted for reference:

Finally, I noticed a weak correlation between time of day and the duration of the smoke.  For every 3 hours which pass during the day, a smoke tends to last 5 minutes longer -- an observation which we should take with a grain of salt...

Hope these rough findings are of interest.  There may be a bit more buried in here, but the data set is limited.

Cheers!

Great work @planetary The findings are fascinating and supported my beliefs about the popularity/sales of robustos by brand.  More importantly you statistically (with available data points) answered El Prez' question.  Well done sir!     

• Like 1

6 hours ago, planetary said:

The data is here.

Mean   70  minutes
Median  71  minutes
Mode  80  minutes
Std Dev  17.81  minutes

The cigars chosen were:

piechart.thumb.png.f8bfebe553b199fd9f15c58143a3072d.png

With an average of 70, the actual distribution of scores looked like this, with a normal distribution plotted for reference:

distro.thumb.png.281dbd6531e1276964a17635f0f0a3b1.png

correl.thumb.png.579f0f3992948542135689a8f9b1e8b3.png

Cheers!

You are one of a kind.

Brilliant :clap::clap::clap:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BMWBen said:

I planted 3 types originally, Habano 2000, CT Shade, and Vuelta Abajo but when it came time to transplant the Vuelta Abajo was doing far better than the rest so I only planted that

Sweet!  I hear great things about Vuelta Abajo. I have some of that growing, too!

I just did my first priming of Corojo 99, Little Dutch, and Florida Sumatra.  They are now hanging in my sophisticated curing chamber (AKA the garage!).

The first priming yielded two full wires of leaf, each 6ft long.  Now I'm wondering where all the rest will go when it comes time to harvest! 

IMG_20170718_084556588.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Sweet!  I hear great things about Vuelta Abajo. I have some of that growing, too!

I just did my first priming of Corojo 99, Little Dutch, and Florida Sumatra.  They are now hanging in my sophisticated curing chamber (AKA the garage!).

The first priming yielded two full wires of leaf, each 6ft long.  Now I'm wondering where all the rest will go when it comes time to harvest! 

IMG_20170718_084556588.jpg

Please do share pictures of final product. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see them.

1 hour ago, Jose_A_Rodriguez said:

Please do share pictures of final product. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see them.

Thanks for your comments! I will, but it will be while yet.  Once the leaf color cures (turns brown), I will be force-aging it in a kiln.  1 month at 125F and high humidity yields a product that is comparable to leaf that has naturally aged for about 1 year.  

3 hours ago, mwaller said:

Nice! I'll be curing in a kiln as well, Crockpot?