Montecristo No. 4 PRA FEB 11: Ode to the 40 and 42 gauge review week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 42 x 5 1/8"

Box Code: PRA FEB 11

Date Purchased: April 27, 2017

Date Smoked: May 6, 2017

I picked up a 10er of Monte 4 after trying a 1x3 petaca last year and finding that - for me - they provide good value as a "go-to" smoke. And since they're so widely produced, it's easy to find aged boxes that I can dip into while my '15 and '16 stock rests, although I generally am a little apprehensive about the quality of Montes that are produced in such huge numbers.

5919b2cb1b10b_Monte4box2.thumb.jpg.1b9788e41bc599d209e3689879232fda.jpg

Appearance and Aroma: This is a good-looking box - attractive appearance, with a smooth, matte colorado wrapper and fine veins. The construction feels good - no noticeable soft spots or knots. The aroma at cold is fairly non-descript, pleasantly sweet tobacco, but none of the pungent barnyard that I get from my favorite boxes.

5919b2bee5377_Monte4box.thumb.jpg.94afa3afe38c30f913470243418a50fa.jpg

First Third: Lights easily and evenly (my preferred method is to toast and ignite the foot prior to cutting), producing a toothy bubble at the burn line. The initial flavor is light, with notes of earth and dry peat. The aroma is bready with a hint of pepper. The draw is perfectly firm and the combustion is cool and even. Toward the end of the first third, a depth and leatheriness emerges and the aroma takes on a richer, baking spice character.

5919b2cf52cae_Monte4.thumb.jpg.d23456eb965a9c73d9f68fea531f7c75.jpg

Second Third: The spice, which is mild at this point and less sweet - like cocoa powder, and earthiness build to a really nice, earthy, floral character on top of the leather and tobacco base.

Final Third: Unlike previous No 4s I've had, I can smoke this one past the band; it remains cool and the performance is perfect - no runs or tunneling. 

I've recently begun trying different tea pairings, and have found that I really enjoy a Lapsang Souchong with lemon. That works particularly well with the Monte 4; the earthy, smokiness of the tea doesn't interfere with any of the sweeter notes from the cigar, and the lemon provides some balance. 

Overall, this cigar is just what I was hoping for - not exceptional, but good, interesting, and reliable in performance.

Score: 90

I scored a great box of 4s recently from another source Sept 15 date code. Really nice flavor. Great construction. I have another box on the way. Hoping for more of the same. Buying blind is risky particulary Monte 2s.  Lots of trash floating  around at present 

After a bad start with the Monte 4, my recent experience has convinced me to add it to the regular rotation.  As per your comment "not exceptional, but good, interesting, and reliable in performance"

• Like 1