Rome and Florence Here We Come!!!

Sounds like a great trip! You can't really go wrong in Rome. The city isn't too big so I walked everywhere when I went and had a great time. I can't recall any specific restaurants but the gelato is truly incredible. 

As for cigars, fincanto is fine for some singles and you may find the new regional edition if that's your thing. I liked sitting outside with an espresso, a cigar and just people watching. Have fun!

• Like 1

Went for a couple weeks to Rome and Florence last spring and had an awesome time. Everyone has given spot on advice regarding cigars and where to go and see. I'll add two things. 

#1 Best food I had on my entire trip was at a restaurant in Florence called Cibreo - http://www.cibreo.com/en/cibreo-restaurant/ we knew going in it was one of the best, recommended by pretty much any local or review site. When pretty much everyone tells you its one of the best (you know how people always say it was the best but its not really the best) but I can tell you, from my experience, it was the freakin best. I cannot recommend this place enough and if you do end up going to it, please tell me how it was after.

#2 As others have said you can smoke pretty much anywhere, you can even pour a glass of wine and go sit in a piazza and smoke your cigar. That said, places like this in Rome (and even in Florence) where it's touristy, there will be a lot of restaurants trying to pull you in to eat. Any place really trying to sell you to come in, was in our experience, awful. Avoid those and stick to reviewed places that aren't trying to sell you.

Have fun!

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, if you want a nice spot to sit outside at night with skilled bartenders and high end drinks and stuff, http://www.harrysbarfirenze.com/ - Harrys in florence was great. We finished the night with a cigar and old fashioned basically every night we were in Florence, and actually on one night the prime mister of italy came (it was quite a showing security wise to see him and his family go in for dinner). 

• Like 1

All great stuff here, although I'd opt for the Accademia Gallery over the Ufizzi.  The surrounding squares and allies of the Ufizzi are entertainment enough, the interior is mainly religious and renaissance art, and the real David is at the Accademia.  Also, make time for the Duomo, I found the Florence Duomo the most impressive in Italy.  OH, and stop in La Prosciutteria Firenze, meat and cheese as it's supposed to be.

0c55524bea1ce08126409ed9b15677f9.jpg

La Prosciutteria Firenze: Meat Chandeliers. The bleu cheese-truffle spread was out of this world!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hurltim said:

La Prosciutteria Firenze: Meat Chandeliers. The bleu cheese-truffle spread was out of this world!!!

Awesome Tim!  So glad you got to stop in, what I would give to be back there for lunch today!!  Melon and prosciutto, mmm....

Hey Tim, what a great trip! Italy is awesome, and Florence was my favorite city there. For us Americans, it's like being in one huge museum. Even walking down the street is just an amazing experience.

I really liked Ill Latine (I think?) in Florence. Tons of food. Massive steaks, prosciutto, pate, soup, fried squash blossoms, etc. Big bottles of wine (probably nothing great, but I'm not a wine guy so it was fine for me) I don't even remember them asking us what we wanted. They just kept bringing us food. I think it was like $40 euros/person, which is normally steep for me, but was well worth it for the experience and great food.

• Like 1

You're gonna have a great time!!  We were there last year.  I brought my own cigars but saw a couple shops along the way but nothing that stood out.  And, as mentioned above what I saw was expensive.  Regarding dining, I was stressed out before the trip as to the right places to eat..... no need to stress!  There are sidewalk cafes everywhere and never had a bad meal.  One that sticks out was Cafe Concerto Paszkawski on the square across the the Duomo in Florence.  There was a lady opera singer with a beautiful voice on the square while we were enjoying some wine a nice meal and a cigar.  Almost surreal. 

We did pay for day passes on the "Hop On - Hop Off" buses in most of the cities we visited.  Pretty handy.  The The Sistene Chapel and the Vatican tour is all you expect and more.  Can be crowded but worth the hassle.  Have a great time and travel safe!!

• Like 1

Was there a few years ago and stayed within a few blocks of that place. Freaking amazing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Round two at Prosciutteria Firenze.
The view from the bar at the top of the Hotel Nationale and a few shots from Harry's Bar.d517e60100b5cc81e10be1351b4a73a7.jpg619144094bfa1b89d54be54e97839048.jpge8feb4d7a6532518df53c0b418738a96.jpg9d6f73281be60e6e120af75817dabef0.jpg678db5af319f9e12258db2847421cffb.jpg

• Like 4

Did you find the Don Jose locally? Price?

Nothing in box quantity--only singles. Fincato here in Rome is almost completely sold out of boxes of everything. :(

7 hours ago, Hurltim said:

Nothing in box quantity--only singles. Fincato here in Rome is almost completely sold out of boxes of everything. :(

Sad to hear that. We are flying in on Monday morning & was hoping to find some regionals at Fincato. 

Glad y'all are having a great trip.