Any info on Gloria Cubana m.o 2 with age on them?

Hi,

Any one have any experience with la Gloria cubana no 2 from 1998 or thereabouts.

Would you part with a substantial amount of cash for such a purchase.

What notes should be expected and do you think they are past their prime with 10 years on them. And are cigars from this time period more prone to being plugged?

Also would you prefer lighter or darker wrappers on LGC. Personally I do on 2 Marcas namely LGC and cohiba.

Any info is highly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plugs happen. Yes that year was not great in terms if construction.

No I would not spend a ton on them.

They have 18-19 years on them, not 10. Thats a long time to be in somebody else's care. How certain are you that they were stored properly during these years? If stored well, they are not past prime, but only way to know is to understand what past prime means and smoke a couple.

No opinion about wrappers.

• Like 2

'98 LGC......you will need to part with a lot of cash,they aren't cheap.

lots of cigars that old are exceptional, depends on storage.

I would be tempted, La Gloria is my favorite marca,but the price would have to be right. 

My stash of older MdO 2 are medium dark to very dark.

• Like 1

i had a few mid 1990s boxes and I have to tell you the cigars are amazing caramel, honey floral and fruit notes just outstanding sadly I only have a few sticks left I personally would pay any amount to have another 90s box its just that amazing, although these smokes were from 1994/1995 im pretty sure the 98's would be equally as outstanding and I would definitely pay any price to find out LOL

just make sure you know they are from a reputable source so you can find out if they were indeed stored correctly etc

oh and they were light wrappers

• Like 1

It completely depends on your personal tastes. I've never had a great #2 from the mid 90's to 2002. Construction issues were also common for many of the aged boxes currently being sold. The 70's sticks smoked made me cream my pants, but that was a different era. You just have to consider your budget and gamble you're willing to take. The #4 is my favorite of the entire line (aged, not new)

A matter of how much coin you, and you alone, consider worth dropping on them. Surely not a bad cigar (read: strong understatement here...), provided of good provenance. Never had a construction issue with MdO2s. Forget what you heard about the "difficult" years with regard to the MdO series.

21 hours ago, aliz388 said:

Also would you prefer lighter or darker wrappers on LGC.

You even have a choice on wrapper shade? Good find!

That said, I wouldn't buy at a demanding price without the chance of personal inspection, or at least having a merchant that you trust do it for you (but I guess it's a private sale?). As others said, it's a gamble on provenance and storage conditions. The stick basically has the potential for a long life.

• Like 1

My boxes of that cigar are from aound '02-03, but I do like them with the darker wrapper if not just for looks.  To think they nearly gave away this cigar a decade ago...

22 hours ago, garbandz said:

My stash of older MdO 2 are medium dark to very dark.

Same here...  Well one box is medium, but all the others have been dark.  All are from '02+ and never had plugged one.  Been through 4-5 boxes of them when they were easy to buy.  If only I had known to slow down on them.  MdO 1 & 2 are among my favorite cigars ever...

• Like 2