The End of ‘Wet Foot, Dry Foot’

Fate can be a bitch. I have a dear Cuban friend in Mexico as per the 11th of Jan heading to the US. Not sure he made it in time. 

The End of ‘Wet Foot, Dry Foot’

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/443866/cuba-wet-foot-dry-foot-refugee-policy-ends

Sorry for your friend Prez.

It's causing mayhem at the airports here, people are being detained for hours, and some are being locked up.

Oddly enough I was discussing Cuba with some coworkers this week on a business trip, and I said I wonder if the WFDF policy would be eliminated soon. 2 days later it was announced. Weird!

A lot of Cuban families are unhappy about it here in S. Florida. They are upset for their relatives who have no way out now. But a lot of Americans are glad the law is being normalized. I guess both sides see it vastly different.

These are odd times we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i can certainly see the need to rope it in. No problem there. I simply feel for my mate caught in the melee. 

He will either be one of the last to make it through, one of the first to be detained or stuck in Mexico with some hard choices to make. 

I heard that it is that it is another step to"normalizing relations"...to treat Cubans no differently than other countries. I just hope they use some common sense in the transition.

I have many opinions on immigration but Cuban citizens are the very least of my worries. 

• Like 1

His first mistake is in admitting that he is a Cuban fleeing communism. Now if he were an anti-American, waving a native flag of another country, willing to break our laws, burn our flag in the streets (of a sanctuary city) and be dependent on the welfare state for his livelihood, he would be welcomed with open arms!!!

As modern Cubans are the decedents of many races, perhaps this is a racist move to profile Cubans!!!

-the Pig

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PigFish said:

His first mistake is in admitting that he is a Cuban fleeing communism. Now if he were an anti-American, waving a native flag of another country, willing to break our laws, burn our flag in the streets (of a sanctuary city) and be dependent on the welfare state for his livelihood, he would be welcomed with open arms!!!

As modern Cubans are the decedents of many races, perhaps this is a racist move to profile Cubans!!!

-the Pig

Sadly, you're correct...a sorry state of affairs.

Terrible timing for your friend. My heart goes out to all Cubans who were en route when this was announced.

It's a tough one, the announcement without immediate effect, for example to come into force in 1 month, would have led to 10,000 Cubans almost literally jumping in the sea.

I would have thought that Cubans who landed in the US, with some proof of having left Cuba before the announcement, could have been allowed in under the policy. That might have eased their situation.

Then again, this agreement would have been negotiated quietly for months. 

I've heard stories of Cubans seeing the news in Mexico, on the way to the US, having sold their house in Cuba and spent $10,000 to get as far as they have.

Many of the people who trafficked them up through Central America are some of the worst scum of the earth. Plenty of examples of that in the Mediterranean too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, saintsmokealot said:

Although this effects my wife's family the consensus is that one good way to look at this is hopefully it will stop Cubans from risking their lives on the voyage. That 90 miles across an ocean is not as easy as say walking across the Rio Grande.

The policy created a huge black market for smugglers.  $25k to have a relative smuggled out of Cuba.  They don't just go from Cuba to Key West.  There's an entire network of safe houses in Mexico.  It's not a good scene.  I understand wanting to shut that down.

On the other hand, this is obviously devastating for anyone caught in transit, or who had plans or aspirations of fleeing to the US.  I heard a piece on NPR Friday where some Cuban Americans in Miami were actually praising this latest development, saying that people now immigrating from Cuba are only coming here to get in the US "system" so they can send money back to Cuba.  No idea how prevalent this line of thinking is down there, but I found it shocking.  I understand the practical concerns with immigration in this country, but I can't help but think of the New Colossus:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

If only...