a lunch for the ages

10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

this was a week or so ago, an annual lunch organised by an old school mate. it is not to be missed but not certain that we'll ever top this one.

Bollinger RD 2002

Pol Sir Winston 1996 – Magnum

Ruinart Dom Ruinart 1996 – magnum

Salon 1996 – not a magnum but a couple of bottles

Dom Pérignon 2004 (I missed a Pommery Louise Rose but these were five truly stellar champers and my intention of a very quiet lunch went out the window with them).

McWilliam's ‘Mount Pleasant’ Pinot Noir 1982 – magnum, but a relic, which tasted like a relic.

Henri Richard ‘Clos d’Engise’ 2014

Faiveley Clos Vougeot 2014

Henschke Hill of Grace 1987

Wynn’s John Riddoch 1993

Penfold's Grange 1996 – (or possibly the 76, I may have to check) but it was exquisite. A glorious Grange.

Penfold's Bin 389 1998 – magnum

Houghton Jack Mann 2000 – magnum (fair)

Rockford Basket Press Shiraz 2004

Vietti Castiglione Barolo 2011 – magnum (delicious)

I’ll confess a few more top Aussie reds that I simply did not get to. Some moderation required.

And some more fizz to conclude before a heap of great rums and a couple of great cigars.

Veuve Clicquot 2002

Ulysse Collin Les Perrieres

Selosse Exquisite (disgorged 06 – the identical disgorgement a friend brought to lunch the week before).

Not a bad lunch.

... nothing salvaged from the Titanic?

Man, what a let down!

Happy New Year buddy! -R

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:
6 hours ago, PatrickEwing said:

Jesus. Nice work! 

A photo from a dinner the other night. No cigars but very enjoyable wine

IMG_4755.JPG

77 Dows is an absolute superstar!

While I like the Chocapalha. Not too often seen and a very interesting rising star of Estremadura - regrettably not an insider tip anymore...

A happy and prosperous New Year in good health to one and all!

5 minutes ago, Fugu said:

While I like the Chocopalha. Not too often seen and a very interesting rising star of Estremadura - regrettably not an insider tip anymore...

That was the surprise of the night. Really enjoyable wine. My friend who opened that had similar sentiments. Apparently the 04s are still available here for a decent price so I'll be jumping on those soon enough.

77 Dows. Nothing much to add to Ken's comment. 

01 Beaucastel was my favorite. All velvet. Lasted and lasted.

77 Cali was much more vibrant than I expected. Fruit and color was bolder than I'd expect. 

It was a great dinner! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PatrickEwing said:

That was the surprise of the night. Really enjoyable wine. My friend who opened that had similar sentiments. Apparently the 04s are still available here for a decent price so I'll be jumping on those soon enough.

77 Dows. Nothing much to add to Ken's comment. 

01 Beaucastel was my favorite. All velvet. Lasted and lasted.

77 Cali was much more vibrant than I expected. Fruit and color was bolder than I'd expect. 

It was a great dinner! 

really interesting you say that about the 01 chateauneuf. my recollection was always that it was a fair vintage only - with the best thing about it that it was better than the floods of 2002 and for many, the heatwave of 03. but had a 2001 rayas the other day and it was sublime. heaven. i think i might have seriously uinderestimated how good 01 is.

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

really interesting you say that about the 01 chateauneuf. my recollection was always that it was a fair vintage only - with the best thing about it that it was better than the floods of 2002 and for many, the heatwave of 03. but had a 2001 rayas the other day and it was sublime. heaven. i think i might have seriously uinderestimated how good 01 is.

I had understood 2001 to be in the upper quarter of the last 25 years or so but I'm certainly no expert. Perhaps relative to 2000 it was judged a bit too harshly.

I'd break a few arms to get my hands on some Rayas. 

I stocked up and still have some of the 98 & 04's Beaucastel and is one of my favorite non Bordeaux French wines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, LLC said:

I stocked up and still have some of the 98 & 04's Beaucastel and is one of my favorite non Bordeaux French wines.

be interested to hear what you think of the 98. i still have a couple. some bottles badly affected by brett. some seem good.

be interested to hear what you think of the 98. i still have a couple. some bottles badly affected by brett. some seem good.

I haven't had a 98 in a few years but looking back at my notes it was very enjoyable but I've had more of the 04's and they have been consistently outstanding.

The best I could muster was...20161112_172604.jpg

Crikey, Ken.

Had a great New Year's eve, and due to a recent break-up, someone's cellar was raided in retribution (not pictured - two bottles of Cristal to start (quite nice, don't know what year) and three bottles of Chateau d'Yquem (200-something; utter nectar, but too sweet for my savoury tongue!).  Pictured - Chateau Mouton Rothschild '82 (Magnum), Chateau Latour 1996 x2, Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou x2

Ducru96.jpg

Latour96.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philski said:

Crikey, Ken.

Had a great New Year's eve, and due to a recent break-up, someone's cellar was raided in retribution (not pictured - two bottles of Cristal to start (quite nice, don't know what year) and three bottles of Chateau d'Yquem (200-something; utter nectar, but too sweet for my savoury tongue!).  Pictured - Chateau Mouton Rothschild '82 (Magnum), Chateau Latour 1996 x2, Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou x2

Ducru96.jpg

Latour96.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

82 mouton should have been about as good as it gets. had one earlier last year (nearly said this year) and it was spectacular.

23 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

that pol 02 is one of the truly great champagnes! love it.

what can you tell us about the Port? does it mentioned who sothebys got it from?

I think it was from the Symington's Ken, but I'll have to double-check. 

Pol 02 is indeed great. Just a shame the 02 Sir Winston has sky rocketed. That was a desert island wine!

15 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

82 mouton should have been about as good as it gets. had one earlier last year (nearly said this year) and it was spectacular.

It was good, although to my heathen tastebuds still a little tight - maybe being decanted for four hours wasn't long enough.  The Latour was terrific, though.