My Trip To Cuba - Cash and Other Tips

TomF

Hello FOH!

I will be going to Cuba December 4th to the 10th to give a lecture on film sound mixing at the EICTV film school in San Antonio de Los Baños outside Havana. I will be staying at the school for some of the nights there and may spend a couple of nights in Havana to do a presentation at the Havana Film Festival which will be happening while I am there. I have a few questions.

1. I was told that I should bring cash because American credit cards are not an option and that I should change my Dollars for Euros before I leave to make currency exchange easier. Is this a good idea? What are the pitfalls of currency exchange in Cuba?

2. I will have some free time to explore Havana, visit a factory or maybe take a farm tour. How easy is it to get around and will I be able to make in-country travel arrangements after I get there, or should I prepare for this before I leave? If so how do I go about it?

3. I do not speak Spanish. How big an obstacle will this be?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

It's been four years since I was there, so take this advice with that in mind considering the recent changes in restrictions.

I would change dollars to euro's before you leave, and take more than you think you will use.  I believe American credit cards are now accepted, but check with your credit card company before you leave and let them know where you will be using it.  Otherwise, they may block it for security purposes. 

The language barrier is not really a big thing.  Lots of Cubans learn English in school.  We had no problem finding someone who spoke English.

Can't really speak to your booking individual tours.  We were part of a tour group. 

There's lots of information already posted here in various threads that you might be able to find by searching.  Also, Cigar Aficionado has had a few recent articles, as have numerous other magazines and newspapers, about traveling and getting around Cuba.

Of course, the best source is here.  Maybe some of our FOH brothers will give you some first hand advice and help. 

Enjoy your trip.  It will be one you won't forget.  The Cuban people are wonderful.

• Like 1

Definitely bring cash. Although some places accept US bank credit cards, some don't. Also, sometimes a place that accepts CCs just isn't having its equipment working properly that day. As for exchanging money, Cuba penalizes travelers converting US dollars to the tune of 10%. That is in addition to the 3% exchange fee. Euros don't have that penalty so exchanging dollars to Euros here at your bank and then changing the Euros to CUCs in Cuba nets you more than if you exchange dollars in Cuba.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TomF said:

2. I will have some free time to explore Havana, visit a factory or maybe take a farm tour. How easy is it to get around and will I be able to make in-country travel arrangements after I get there, or should I prepare for this before I leave? If so how do I go about it?

The only factory that you can officially visit buying a ticket at 10 CUC is the "new" Partagas factory behind the "old" Romeo y Julieta ( now H.Upmann).

For the farms plan a day trip to the Vuelta Abajo south of Pinar del Rio where you can visit Robaina, Pancho Cuba or Hector Luis Prieto ( I recommend the latter ).

Transportation would have to be arranged from HAV by renting a car/driver for a day ( ca. 120 CUC ).

It's been about 10 years since I was there, but I agree that language shouldn't be too much of an issue. Many Cubans speak some English. Moreso for those who interact with visitors a lot. If you can learn just a few Spanish phrases, that will help you a lot. Even if you can only greet them and communicate your lack of Spanish, it demonstrates respect. Be liberal with "por favor" and "gracias." Cubans seemed to be very warm and friendly, and I found them to be super hospitable and helpful. Like most places in Latin America, you'll do better if you have some patience and a positive, go with the flow attitude. I'm pretty confident that if you like to travel and visit new places, you're going to have a blast.

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Hello FOH!

I will be going to Cuba December 4th to the 10th to give a lecture on film sound mixing at the EICTV film school in San Antonio de Los Baños outside Havana. I will be staying at the school for some of the nights there and may spend a couple of nights in Havana to do a presentation at the Havana Film Festival which will be happening while I am there. I have a few questions.

1. I was told that I should bring cash because American credit cards are not an option and that I should change my Dollars for Euros before I leave to make currency exchange easier. Is this a good idea? What are the pitfalls of currency exchange in Cuba?

Just got back 3 weeks ago...

1. Definitely bring lot's of cash and exchange your dollars first to Euro before you leave or they (Cuba) will tax you 13% on the dollar!  Plenty of places to exchange the Euro to CUC in Cuba, airport and at any of the larger hotels. No US CC's will work there and not sure of any ATM's as well.

2. There are taxis EVERYWHERE in Cuba, many of the Taxi drivers do speak OK English. You can negotiate the pricing.  Use your hotel to do the leg work for you and they can also provide interpreters if need be. 

3. Many do not speak english, but as mentioned, talk with your hotel, they can arrange most anything out there.

Hi,

1. I would recommend getting Euros or CAD.  Only a few American CCs work, but it seems to be small banks' cards.  Article on that on CA recently.

2. As stated above, there is taxis everywhere.  The only thing I would add is this: negotiate the price before getting in the cab and check on the map if you think the rate makes sense or not.  Some drivers may overcharge.  Knowing the rate in advance makes things easier for everyone.

3. You will be fine. However, if random people approach you for cigars, visits and what not just politely say no thanks...

Enjoy.

7 hours ago, CUBANO said:

PM sent

Thank you! And thanks to all for your help. I'm sure it's going to be a fun trip.

SADLB is far out from Havana, been there a few times. A good hour or so, no large markets or commercial centers there. You may not find exchange houses that are willing to accept Euros or CAD's. That is an airport thing or in Havana hotels, exchange houses (CADECA) in town. CADECA's are usually 9-5 except the airport. Bring a dictionary or an AP on your phone to translate while in SADLB, although I'm sure they will have translators for you at your events. Once in Havana you will be closer to everything, the theaters used for the Film Festival are a on major streets. If you need anymore help or info send me a PM. Oh, and don't drink the tap water. John

What's up Tom.  Teaching sound mixing at EICTV?  Sounds very interesting and fun.  You'll have to PM me and tell me more.  Local 600 here and I'd love to do something like that.  I'd love for the opportunity to lecture in cinematography to students in Cuba.  Cuba is a special place.  It's the people!

YES, BRING CASH.  ...So, if you don't know locals its better to bring Euros.  Some say its a toss up, you lose on the conversion to Euros which sort of equals out to the USD "tax".  If you do know locals (blackmarket)... Bring new BLUE banded Benjamins you'll get 98CUC for your hundo.  A little less with the older hundreds.  It's just their thing, the money exchangers like the new ones.  If you do end up finding a guy you should go this route.  But if you don't, bring Euros.  I brought 1000 Euros for a week for spending money. This is before I found out our buddy Mike was joining us, who had cousins in the exchange business, lol  When in doubt bring extra cash to buy cigars!!

I've got two drivers for you.  They are good guys in their late 20's to mid30's, very different than the Taxi drivers in their 40's and up.  Not to say that the older drivers don't know where to go, they do.  But I've had a few that spoke no English, so it's better to learn basic Spanish. Plus my guys know where all the cool stuff is at anyways.  Touristy and the local scene.

Not so much, as everyone speaks a little.  BUT I would learn basic Spanish at least.  It's Cuba and not the US.

IMG_4594.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, el chino said:

YES, BRING CASH.  ...So, if you don't know locals its better to bring Euros.  Some say its a toss up, you lose on the conversion to Euros which sort of equals out to the USD "tax".  If you do know locals (blackmarket)... Bring new BLUE banded Benjamins you'll get 98CUC for your hundo.  A little less with the older hundreds.  It's just their thing, the money exchangers like the new ones.  If you do end up finding a guy you should go this route.  But if you don't, bring Euros.  I brought 1000 Euros for a week for spending money. This is before I found out our buddy Mike was joining us, who had cousins in the exchange business, lol  When in doubt bring extra cash to buy cigars!!

Timely post, I was just running the math on converting Benjamins to Euros/CAD then Euros/CAD to CUC (if I got my math right) and it seems for the few bucks it saves versus USD to CUC it's not necessarily worth it for the fella that wont miss a few Jacksons - Appreciate the writeup!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PunchClown said:

Whatever you do Tom,  don't trust the people that just walk up to you on the street.

the conversation starts like this

"hey my fren where you from?"

"hey my fren,  I work at your hotel and I saw you there"

"hey my fren,  I know a better place to eat"

the street hustlers in Havana are pretty good.  People don't just walk up to strangers and start conversations in your home town and if they did,  I'd be suspicious.  watch your money close and watch the menus.  lagostina is not 17cucand the three dollar bill they have can really trip you up.

the milk scam is another good one but the lady that needs the milk for here kids is in cahoots with the lady in the store and they have probably sold the same quart of milk 50 times.

I know i'm not answering your question but watch yourself.  the Cuban scammers are good at what they do

This is true, also be aware of the working girls, as hot as some of them are...  But that being said.  I feel WAY more safer in Cuba than my own streets of Sunny Southern California any day.