RyJ Churchill vs Bolivar Corona Gigantes

Hello all,

I have been tempted to buy boxes of both these cigars lately, based on great reviews from Rob and others on here.  I have smoked the BCG and really enjoyed it, but I have never tried the RyJ Churchill!  I was wondering if you could offer a comparison of the two cigars for me?  Not so much which is 'better', as this is obviously personal.  But I would like to know how they compare in terms of strength, flavour, construction, reliability etc.  I will probably get a box of BCGs anyway, but I am hesitant to fork out for a whole box of Churchills if I'm not going to like them.

Other RyJs that I have smoked:
Cedros de Luxe No.1 - Loved this cigar!
Cazadores - Another one that I enjoyed.  I found it surprisingly full flavoured, and it was a bit of a beast to get through.
Short Churchill - I liked the first 2 thirds, I found the last boring and disappointing.
Belvederes - Did not like the flavour of this....kind of floral or fruity?

RyJ Churchill had been in the gutter for over a decade until recently. Rob and many others have some pretty high praise for 13 and 14 production, but my personal experience runs counter--an OPG JUL 14 10 box I purchased pretty much stunk, and the blind tasting example we got wasn't any better--for me at least.

I think it's safe to say the RyJ Churchill is a mild/medium smoke that can be a bit hit or miss. Light rosewater with some cream & cherry is about the best description I can give you for it. On the other hand, there's some serious positive feedback on 15 Boli CG right now, as in absolutely incredible. It's going to be much more full-flavored than the RyJ, without a doubt. 

I can tell you that if I was purchasing a box of Churchills today, 15 Boli CG would be the one.

• Like 3

Over the years, I have smoked quite a few RyJ's and a boat load (yes, that is a technical cigar term) of BCG's. The RyJ has always left me wanting, and I am not a punch me in the face flavor guy. I actually prefer a more mellow cigar (think ERDM). I love the BCG when I am in the mood. It seems to deliver on a fairly consistent basis. The RyJ -- I'll leave it to the conniseuers. 

I went away from the RJs years ago and prefer Bolivar now and back then.  They need some age IMO but are smokable from the one year mark.  I just purchased a box of the BCG from our host and they look great.  I did smoke one for a test and am pretty sure they need to get a little past the year mark to try again.  (Still enjoyable and considering the age, that is amazing.  Mine were at 6 months on the dot...) 

I say you can't go wrong with Bolivar! 

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I think it's safe to say the RyJ Churchill is a mild/medium smoke that can be a bit hit or miss. Light rosewater with some cream & cherry is about the best description I can give you for it. On the other hand, there's some serious positive feedback on 15 Boli CG right now, as in absolutely incredible. It's going to be much more full-flavored than the RyJ, without a doubt. 

I can tell you that if I was purchasing a box of Churchills today, 15 Boli CG would be the one.

Well said. I've had my fair share of bland, toasted tobacco (and nothing else) RyJ Churchills, so I'm pleased they've made a comeback recently. When they are 'on', you do get some nice flavours, akin to what you've described above, especially the cherry.

It wasn't always so, as Romeo y Julieta had a (more) stellar reputation in the past, perhaps, until Cohiba came along.

41 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Well said. I've had my fair share of bland, toasted tobacco (and nothing else) RyJ Churchills, so I'm pleased they've made a comeback recently. When they are 'on', you do get some nice flavours, akin to what you've described above, especially the cherry.

It wasn't always so, as Romeo y Julieta had a (more) stellar reputation in the past, perhaps, until Cohiba came along.

I agree--it's just so hard to get one that's delivering. When they are on, they're quite delightful, as Ex4 can also be. But I just have never been able to get any consistency out of them.

Modern RyJ Churchills are a shadow of their former selves. Until the late 90s, there were few cigars richer than it. It had been considered the benchmark Churchill for 50 years. Then they just started having absolutely awful draw problems that wouldn't let up for years from about 98-01, then they just became turds until literally a few years ago. 

• Like 1