Where are the Cohibas?

Hello all,

I have had some trouble finding Cohibas lately. Well, I say lately, I don't shop for them regularly, so perhaps this is normal? It appears that all the Siglos are out of stock, and as for Exquisitos...they are often not even listed. I am referring to some online vendors that I have looked at - there doesn't seem to be a shortage in London shops.

Is it normal for Cohibas to be in such short supply? Are there certain times of year when they are more abundant?

Thanks for any advice!

Martin

They are being hoarded in anticipation of the eventual lifting of the embargo.

I don't mean to shoot down your statement as I've heard that before but it sounds like smoke being blown up someone's bung. AND if that is truly the case then we're going to be waiting a looooong time for that to happen. To those that understand all the finer points of not only the Embargo of 1962 but also the trademark laws within the cigar industry, I don't see how someone could honestly think that the Embargo will be dropped anytime soon, let alone seeing ANY habano in an American B&M. I would say this has much more to do with the availability of not only quality filler tobaccos but more importantly, wrapper tobacco that is of the quality that Cohiba usually commands.

• Like 3

I didn't know anyone was having an issue finding Cohiba's. They were up on the 24:24 sale just this past month and are certainly available at other vendors. Did you PM the Pres and see if he has any available?

I don't mean to shoot down your statement as I've heard that before but it sounds like smoke being blown up someone's bung. AND if that is truly the case then we're going to be waiting a looooong time for that to happen. To those that understand all the finer points of not only the Embargo of 1962 but also the trademark laws within the cigar industry, I don't see how someone could honestly think that the Embargo will be dropped anytime soon, let alone seeing ANY habano in an American B&M. I would say this has much more to do with the availability of not only quality filler tobaccos but more importantly, wrapper tobacco that is of the quality that Cohiba usually commands.

If a democrat wins the 2016 election I think the embargo will end before 2020. When people ask me when Cuban cigars will be available in the U.S. I say, in my opinion, within 2-5 years.

If a democrat wins the 2016 election I think the embargo will end before 2020. When people ask me when Cuban cigars will be available in the U.S. I say, in my opinion, within 2-5 years.

And that's fine. It's your opinion but id like to make a $100 bet with you that it won't happen. You do understand that it will take an act of Congress to first lift the Embargo, not just the will of a new President. And then IF that happens, trademark law will be battled out in court for a minimum of a few years. Not a bet I'd like to take but I'll take the other side of it if you're game.

• Like 1

There is a dearth of Cohiba's world wide currently. They are available but not in any quantity particularly in SLB. Carton packs are more readily available.

Siglo 1 / Siglo II/ Siglo III/ Siglo IV/ Siglo V/ Coronas Especial/lancero all particularly affected.

Siglo VI temporarilly off the Distributor shelves as well.

There is rumour that the situation will improve in the next six weeks.

We went through a similar situation second quarter of last year. It is currently worse.

The reasoning they are giving is lack of suitable wrapper leaf for Cohiba. Take that with a pinch of salt.

And that's fine. It's your opinion but id like to make a $100 bet with you that it won't happen. You do understand that it will take an act of Congress to first lift the Embargo, not just the will of a new President. And then IF that happens, trademark law will be battled out in court for a minimum of a few years. Not a bet I'd like to take but I'll take the other side of it if you're game.

I'm well aware of the trademark issues as I work in the cigar industry. Many of the trademarks are owned by the same company that owns a large share of Habanos S.A. I also understand that thanks to Helms Burton it will take an act of congress to lift the embargo rather then pre HB where it could have been done with an executive order. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic. Time will tell.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I thought it might have been my imagination - but sadly not! On the other hand, this news has probably saved me from myself. smile.png

EDIT: I guess I spoke too soon. Damn Secretos on 24:24!shead.gif

• Like 1

Overly optimistic eh? If you think Cubans are expensive now as contraband in the USA, wait until our government starts taxing them and our F.D.A. starts regulating them. Prices will be out of reach unless you are a wealthy man. I am perfectly happy with things as-is.

^this^

• Like 1

^this^

I think Cubans are dirt cheap right now. That's part of the appeal. I'm optimistic about the embargo being lifted not about the negative effects it will no doubt have on the Cuban cigar industry. Isn't everyone buying up as many boxes as they can afford? I know I am.

I think Cubans are dirt cheap right now. That's part of the appeal. I'm optimistic about the embargo being lifted not about the negative effects it will no doubt have on the Cuban cigar industry. Isn't everyone buying up as many boxes as they can afford? I know I am.

What, if I can ask, is your position within the cigar industry? I'd definitely be interested to know. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

What, if I can ask, is your position within the cigar industry? I'd definitely be interested to know. Thanks in advance.

I'm a retailer. Why do you ask?

[/quote

Tough gig, especially in the people's Republic of Kalifornia. Surprised cigars are even still sold there.

There is a dearth of Cohiba's world wide currently. They are available but not in any quantity particularly in SLB. Carton packs are more readily available.

Siglo 1 / Siglo II/ Siglo III/ Siglo IV/ Siglo V/ Coronas Especial/lancero all particularly affected.

Siglo VI temporarilly off the Distributor shelves as well.

There is rumour that the situation will improve in the next six weeks.

We went through a similar situation second quarter of last year. It is currently worse.

The reasoning they are giving is lack of suitable wrapper leaf for Cohiba. Take that with a pinch of salt.

I have been wondering for quite some time if this also has anything to do with the price point on them? The prices have really risen over the past couple to four years on these sadly. It is the main reason I have not acquired any in a number of years. tantrum.gif