Maklary cabinet humidor

SonGoku

Been thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. Anybody got any experience with these? Seems like a really high end product where all the details usch as temperature/humidity control and air flow has been takien into account.

http://www.maklaryhumidors.com/en/grand-cigar-cabinet/

Just doing some research before pulling the trigger :)

That is beautiful, which one were you looking at in particular? I am not sure if they will ship to you or not, but this is the one I have. Have had it for over 2 years with no issues. I got it for $650 U.S. shipped....I went with the cherry red:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/humidors/cabinet-humidors/the-tower-cigar-humidor.html

• Like 1

Looks beautiful, but I know nothing about the company. Bob Staebell ships his cabinets all over the world, but I have no idea what it would cost to do so.

The gentlemen above has a good point...seems short on box storage. One of the great thing with Bob is he'll put any configuration you want together, and you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy to do business with.

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/

I've had my cabinet for eight+ years, all I've ever done is replace the humidifier wicks every so often, and add distilled water. Beautiful to look at, very solid, works perfectly.

As they say, one man's opinion.

• Like 1

That is beautiful, which one were you looking at in particular? I am not sure if they will ship to you or not, but this is the one I have. Have had it for over 2 years with no issues. I got it for $650 U.S. shipped....I went with the cherry red:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/humidors/cabinet-humidors/the-tower-cigar-humidor.html

I'm going for the grand cigar cabinet. Looking more for a set a forget system that takes into account RH, temp., and air circulation wich this product does. Yours are at a very good price though. Shipping to Europe will be more than the cabinet I think :)

I'm thinking how will you store boxes?

The dividers can be arranged as you like or all together remote for easier box storage. I'm in correspondence with the owner and he says he prefers storing his in boxes too, which would be my option as well.

Looks beautiful, but I know nothing about the company. Bob Staebell ships his cabinets all over the world, but I have no idea what it would cost to do so.

The gentlemen above has a good point...seems short on box storage. One of the great thing with Bob is he'll put any configuration you want together, and you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy to do business with.

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/

I've had my cabinet for eight+ years, all I've ever done is replace the humidifier wicks every so often, and add distilled water. Beautiful to look at, very solid, works perfectly.

As they say, one man's opinion.

Wrote both to Aristocrat (Bob) and Avallo a number of years ago and never heard back from either of them. So my guess were that they might operate in the North American market. Remember that I talked to a friend in the shipping business back then and as I remember it the shipping costs would run at least as much as the cabinet itself. This company is Europe based which would probably make it cheaper shipping wise. But I love the cabinets Bob do. And he's known around on the boards. Never read anything negative about his products. Only thing is that it doesn't look like he takes into account the airflow issue which would result in different RH values between the top and the bottom of the cabinet. This guy says he's been researching this for 5 years and has come up with a solution to this issue. As far as I know he is the only one that solved this.

• Like 1

My Aristocrat is tall, like a phone booth. Humidifiers are ~ 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, hygrometer about 2/3 up from the bottom. Mine is wall to wall full, and I believe the RH delta between top and bottom to be on the order of a point or less. It's really quite good.

Honestly, I don't worry about it....I quit being that anal about RH quite some time back.....peace.gif

• Like 1

My Aristocrat is tall, like a phone booth. Humidifiers are ~ 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, hygrometer about 2/3 up from the bottom. Mine is wall to wall full, and I believe the RH delta between top and bottom to be on the order of a point or less. It's really quite good.

Honestly, I don't worry about it....I quit being that anal about RH quite some time back.....:peace:

Hahaha I'll see how correspondence with the manufacturer goes. If it doesn't meet my expectations I'll try to mail Bob again. Would love to see some pics of your cabinet if you wanna share? :)

The most important thing about a humidor is that it keeps cigars to your satisfaction! Now satisfaction is a relative term, like taste.

From what I have seen on this guys site, I like what he is doing. My gut says that these are pricey but if you have the coin that is no problem.

As a humidor maker myself we have quite a bit in common, and that is why I like the appearance of how these humidors are made.

Circulation and isolation of the cooling coil are very important (to me) in the process of climate control.

While people will guess at the performance of their humidors, the only way to know is to data log them. You should ask this maker if he data logs his products and if he will share the logs of this humidor plotted against his ambient conditions. This is what I do. It is the only real means of proving a humidor works.

From what I can see, this guys is using some good humidor design. With the possible exception of two massive fans for a humidifier (not necessary). But that depends on how one handles the problem of dehydration in cooling. If he has not mastered it with design and control, he my just overwhelm it with water... and that is a solution.

I have posted data logs of my humidors all over the place. That is how you tell if a humidor works or not. All the fancy crap is dressing... I understand that most people like it, but if it does not work when logged, it won't work at home.

Ask him for some data logs of the humidor when empty and full. If he cannot, nor will not provide those logs to you, then you are buying a nice looking product that might very well not work.

The thing about humidors, unlike taste, is that you can prove they work, or prove they don't work. Your interpretation of the logs will determine where you put the "works/ does not work" line.

My humidor works if it is 50F in the shop or 90F in the shop. That is a 40F swing! That is what is important to me! Ask for the logs and you decide if the price is worth the performance. From what I can see, we build humidors with similar design ideas and I see that as an advantage. The rest is up to you!

I would love to know what this guy gets for one of these. Please PM it to me if you have it. I would appreciate it.

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1

PM sent

The most important thing about a humidor is that it keeps cigars to your satisfaction! Now satisfaction is a relative term, like taste.

From what I have seen on this guys site, I like what he is doing. My gut says that these are pricey but if you have the coin that is no problem.

As a humidor maker myself we have quite a bit in common, and that is why I like the appearance of how these humidors are made.

Circulation and isolation of the cooling coil are very important (to me) in the process of climate control.

While people will guess at the performance of their humidors, the only way to know is to data log them. You should ask this maker if he data logs his products and if he will share the logs of this humidor plotted against his ambient conditions. This is what I do. It is the only real means of proving a humidor works.

From what I can see, this guys is using some good humidor design. With the possible exception of two massive fans for a humidifier (not necessary). But that depends on how one handles the problem of dehydration in cooling. If he has not mastered it with design and control, he my just overwhelm it with water... and that is a solution.

I have posted data logs of my humidors all over the place. That is how you tell if a humidor works or not. All the fancy crap is dressing... I understand that most people like it, but if it does not work when logged, it won't work at home.

Ask him for some data logs of the humidor when empty and full. If he cannot, nor will not provide those logs to you, then you are buying a nice looking product that might very well not work.

The thing about humidors, unlike taste, is that you can prove they work, or prove they don't work. Your interpretation of the logs will determine where you put the "works/ does not work" line.

My humidor works if it is 50F in the shop or 90F in the shop. That is a 40F swing! That is what is important to me! Ask for the logs and you decide if the price is worth the performance. From what I can see, we build humidors with similar design ideas and I see that as an advantage. The rest is up to you!

I would love to know what this guy gets for one of these. Please PM it to me if you have it. I would appreciate it.

Cheers! -Piggy