I hate Winter

Guest scsi

Luckily living on Vancouver Island even in the coldest months we can get away with burning the wood stove. Chopped down a bunch of trees a few years back and been heating two houses ever since. I think our heat bill for the last two years has been $50 for the rental of a wood splitter.

But I do remember my days in Edmonton and Lethbridge. I accidentlly spilled gas on my hands topping up the car with a jerry can. That is when you know about windchill factors. It burned for hours.

I hate winter and I live in a city that knows no snow (unless you count soft periodic falls in the Blue Mountains suburbs). Despite it hardly ever gets below 5°C, I still long for September every year when it gets warmer!

I've come to find Sydney winters painful, our houses just aren't insulated like homes back in the Midwest and it takes lots of run time on the reverse cycle AC and space heaters to keep warm in winter. I'd take furnace repair over $500-1000 electricity bills for 3 month periods.

I do remember the cold ass dreary days of January but this time of year I'm sentimental for the joys of snowfall on the holidays. There's also nothing in the world compared to sitting in a warm bar drinking brandy old fashioneds watching it snow.

I'll be interested to see how cold it gets in Iceland next week... I have 4 jackets, but only jeans as pants... Might need to buy some better pants for the weather... will see... i'll buy extra clothes if i need...

Don't think i'll need my shorts on this trip lmao.gif

You got anything of importance below the waist , if not shorts will be fine??

Recently got some photos from a friend of the wife who's travelling through Iceland etc, husband is a photographer and the images are fantastic, cold brass monkey stuff, but fantastic. And of course there's that Top Gear episode that those tossers did in Iceland with the great scenery. Expecting plenty of great images mate.

Lived in Chicago for 4 years. Working field service and traveling 100%, the weather takes a toll on your house, car, body, and mind. Working 12 hour night shifts in Northern Wisconsin quickly convinced me that the move north would not be permanent. Before I got married, I told my wife that I was moving back to Atlanta whether or not she was coming. I don't see a point in not moving just because I didn't want to deal with change. I like being able to see sunlight most days during the winter, and not having my face burn and go numb from being exposed.

• Like 1

I used to love the winter as I was working in construction.On any given project nobody was working higher then I did as I was repairing Towercranes.Up there is no protection from the elements,yet I loved it.As a matter of fact I liked the winter better than the summer.Heat and humidity always got to me and when it is hot you can not do so little to cool down but when it's cold you can work faster to stay warm.The coldest temperature I worked outside was - 34°C while putting up a crane.I worked in construction from 1971 to 1983.Now in my early 70's I look more for warmer places.The fondest memories I have is when working on the CN-Tower to keep the Crane running.

• Like 1

Born in raised in Northern Ohio and went thru some blizzards and nasty winters over the years. Seems so long ago...got a place in Key West and live in Miami now. So...I miss the change of season and fall, but winters lastly into April & May can kiss my arse!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to wonder what all the fuss was about with you Northern Hemisphere folk until I tried to smoke a cigar in the UK in January this year. Temp was -4C, positively balmy for you blokes in Canada. So cold and miserable it was the only cigar I smoked during that 4 week trip.

I sympathise, around 30C here over the weekend, much more enjoyable.

Winter has been pretty mild here in Northeast PA so far. Don't mind the cold as long as the wind is calm.

I like looking at the snow and don't mind cleaning it up but from what I am hearing it is supposed to be a mild winter this year for us.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

attachicon.gifCN Tower 12.jpgattachicon.gifCN Tower 15.jpg

The fondest memories I have is when working on the CN-Tower to keep the Crane running.

Sheesh....not for me, thanks!

Got enough weird gut feelings already when walking on the glass floor panels of CN-Tower....

Furnace - we got a central wood chip/pellet oven, on which I am doing the servicing and controller setting (in conjunction with solar heating) myself since 8 years. Sturdy Austrian technology with quite a few mechanical parts deriving from agricultural conveyor tech. Apart from normal wear-and-tear maintenance and the occasional sensor replacement, very reliable (knock on wood....). And should it fail in midwinter, we still got a Swedish wood stove as a backup (which doesn't provide us with hot water - however...sad.png ).

Main advantage - I don't take call-out charge and also do weekends tongue.png

Here's a shot from a day last winter. I think it was around the end of January, we all laughed as we were colder than Mars for a few days. The +30c summer almost makes up for it......almost. No cigars are had by me for a few months each year. sad.png

post-24900-0-96869200-1448980824_thumb.p

Here's a shot from a day last winter. I think it was around the end of January, we all laughed as we were colder than Mars for a few days. The +30c summer almost makes up for it......almost. No cigars are had by me for a few months each year. sad.png

Feels like -47 !!!

I'm surprised if you could feel anything at -47C !!

post-13208-144912204563.jpg

A blonde driving a car became lost in a snowstorm. She didn't panic however, because she remembered what her dad had once told her. "If you ever get stuck in a snowstorm, just wait for a snow plow to come by and follow it." Sure enough, pretty soon a snow plow came by, and she started to follow it. She followed the plow for about forty-five minutes. Finally the driver of the truck got out and asked her what she was doing. And she explained that her dad had told her if she ever got stuck in a snow storm, to follow a plow. The driver nodded and said, "Well, I'm done with the Wal-Mart parking lot, do you want to follow me over to Best Buy now?"

• Like 2