Partagas SdC #3 a review and some random thoughts…

PigFish

I don’t typically review cigars anymore. For whatever the reason too much thinking about what I am smoking just takes the fun out of it. Could you imagine taking notes while making love? You probably get my point.

Why then would I take the time to write a review? I do so as a matter of obligation, for lack of a better term. No, no one demanded that I write this. But it is a form of payback for the many wonderful reviews that I have read here thus far. The fact is much of the power of belonging to a group such as this is the useful information that it provides to its members. And, as a member taking advantage of the resources provided me I feel that it is necessary to provide to others some of the same.

What do I like in cigars? Well, if you don’t know what I like then my review is probably not much use to you. Like most of you I am looking for a quality well constructed cigar; one that burns correctly, thoroughly and at a palatable temperature. I like robust cigars. You can read that as strong if you must. But when I say strong, I mean strong in flavor and not in effect. I am not looking for a nicotine “buzz.” I prefer a smaller caliber cigar; 42 ring and under suits me very well these days. I also rarely have the 2 plus hours that it takes me to smoke a Julieta #2 or a Prominentes. I have been known to smoke a double corona for 3 hours but can rarely devote that kind of time to smoking these days.

So on with the cigar. I smoked this cigar inside in a local establishment where I was able to accompany the cigar with a wonderful Duval ale. I had not smoked previously today so my palate was fresh and I was feeling somewhat Pavlovian over this particular smoke. As far as samples go I am accustomed to the Partagas SdC line and this is the 5th cigar that I have smoked out of this box. I think it is important to know the number of cigars so that a bead may be drawn on consistency. I am therefore not only reviewing just one cigar but I am further estimating the quality of the remaining cigars. It is my hopes that this might help you make a decision as to whether you wish to obtain a similar box for your humidor. These cigars were packaged at Partagas (OSU) in ’03.

Providing a consistently high quality cigar in this ring can be a challenge. It has been my experience that many of these smaller ring cigars are not real things of beauty. There just seems to be some greater envelope of error when rolling larger caliber cigars. I think it is easier to get them just right, a 42 ring and larger cigar, and that includes the visual finish of the cigar. These cigars were nicely made. Good to very good would be my estimation, certainly well above average as Rob and Lisa have never sent me a crappy cigar. As I previously stated, these came from the Aussie First Family of cigars. The cigars rate a medium firmness throughout the box with a couple a tad softer than the rest. Overall quality of construction is as previously stated with all the cigars wrapped in medium colorado wrappers. These cigars have been acclimatized to my humidor and are kept at a consistent 65 RH. They are perfect for smoking right now.

I choose a guillotine cut with a sharp twin blade Zino. I cut the head fairly deep, leaving only a small amount of cap remaining to keep the wrapper in place. The cigar cut clean, it had a uniform firmness and a wonderful “pipe tobacco” like bouquet and a medium light draw. I have to mention the bouquet once more just for emphasis; these smell just wonderful. I chose to light with a Dupont Extend torch lighter.

Unlike some of the others from this box, this cigar was not immediately powering my taste buds. Perhaps I might add it was not overpowering my taste buds like a couple of the others. Some of this cigar’s predecessors were lightly peppery but there was little evidence of such in this one sibling. This cigar was a tad bit less complex than the rest. These cigars range from nominally complex, like the one I smoked tonight, to moderately complex as were my previous samples.

I use the term complexity to signify the number of flavors that I experience in the smoke at one time. This is somewhat contrasted by varying flavors over time. A monotonic flavor then would be the antitheses of complexity. This cigar ranged from somewhat complex to somewhat monotonic over its one hour lifespan. The cigar was never boring so don’t read monotonic as mundane, and the varying degrees of complexity was not a negative whatsoever. The rate and degree of changing complexity simply contributed to the overall character of the cigar. The character of the cigar was excellent, but not the best I have ever tasted and this is one of the categories that forced me to deduct points.

The flavor of the cigar was a fairly uniform old Partagas taste and was generous as previously stated. I did detect hints of honey at times, but black cherry dominated the unctuous dried fruit overtones which were otherwise predominantly straight tobacco. By this I mean that the cigar provided a noticeable and medium strength oily finish which coated the mouth and provided a nice “feel” on the palate. This feel contributed to a nice aftertaste which lingered to the next draw but was not overstated, bitter or tanic. It is my belief that the unctuous nature of some cigars like this one is what contributes to their ability to be paired with beverages and other food items.

The cigar kept me entertained and satisfied for a whole hour. I discarded the cigar right on the hour as the establishment was closing; whereas I may have been able to squeak another 5 minutes or so out of her.

It has been my intention to try and rate the cigar honestly and with a cigar that is this good it would appear that my only criticisms were that it was not perfect! In ten years this may very well become a classic as it is already excellent. The box will not last the year… much less ten years in my humidor.

I am going to rate the cigar a 94. I have deducted the few points for appearance, strength, complexity and character. In five or so years the brutish strength may subside to a less robust in your face taste and allow some of the more subtle nuances of the cigars character shine through. I know those nuances are there but they themselves don’t today have the power to break the line of the old Partagas locomotive. For those of you who are looking for aging potential look no further and get a box of these. For those who are looking for an excellent smoker now, strong but not bitter or punchy you too will be satisfied.

Nice review Piggy. I havent tried the #3, what if any, comparisons/similarities are there to the Serie du Conn #1...which is a favorite at the moment.

And you havent run across any in the box that are plugged? Prez must like you:-D

Great read for the a.m. with my coffee.

First off, Great review Piggy. Since it would seem like this is your way of saying thanks for all the FOH info it would be fitting to call this a Christmas present to all of us and to this I say THANK YOU.

Merry Christmas

John

» Nice review Piggy. I havent tried the #3, what if any,

» comparisons/similarities are there to the Serie du Conn #1...which is a

» favorite at the moment.

» And you havent run across any in the box that are plugged? Prez must like

» you:-D

» Great read for the a.m. with my coffee.

CigarHead,

First, thank you for the kind words. Reviews can be fun to write now and again especially when you have such a worthy candidate. I smoke at least a cigar a day, sometimes two or three. I smoke some excellent cigars and some that are just ordinary. I wrote the review because this cigar actually was worthy of it!

To your question but first some caveats. As you know the cigar is a living thing. They are all different; each is an individual even out of the same litter (box). Litter box… Piggy made a joke! So with that in mind, yes they are… or should be the same. If you like those cigars, the #1’s, then you should like these. From my understanding the profiles “should” be the same given the aforementioned legalese.

I would not hesitate to buy another box of these… ****, I did as a matter of fact. These cigars are just fantastic! What I wanted to do with this review is let some of the fine members here benefit from my unbiased opinion on what I consider to be an excellent cigar. Based on the intention of the review, if you like the SdC line, you would be foolish not to buy these!

I bought these form Rob and Lisa and they are coded OSU ’03. I brandish the CZ Shill No. 1 signature line for a good reason! –LOL BUT, I would not bullshit you on this cigar or any other. Ask Rob or Lisa if they have more and take their advice if they tell you to buy them.

About plugs. I rarely get them but I am a bit of a stoic and I will plug away at what you may consider a plugged cigar! I don’t like cigars that draw like a straw. Additionally, I keep my cigars at 65RH or below which tends to alleviate that problem. PLUS… I have a wonderful tobacconist! Regards, Piggy

Excellent review! I love the entire Partagas SdC Serie, and the SdConn No.1 being my personal favorite which for me is quickly followed by the SdC No.3's Great cigar and should be in every serious Partagas lovers humidor. Thanks for the well thought out and well detailed review!:ok:

Great review Piggy and much appreciated.

Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 3 is my small format cigar of choice. No cigar transforms more from 3-5 years. At 5 years that charred Cherry spice becomes a deep luch stewed fruit bomb. These can be ruthless when young. A few have put me on my ass....something which has never happened with any other cigar before.

Put half the box away ;-)

• 1 month later...

Let me second Piggy's impressions. I too got a box of these from Rob and they are very good cigars. I think with a bit more age they will be great cigars. And who knows even sublime in time.

Per your suggestion El Prez ... I am putting these away. I'll report back in a few years.;-)

I too got a box from the Czar and they are great little cigars. I am surprised at how well they draw. Since I ussually smoke larger vitolas they seem to be gone in no time. I am enjoying more of the Partagas marca these days and have a cab of the coronas on the way.

• 1 month later...

» Great review.

»

» The SdC No. 1 is one of my top three cigars right now. I love them. The

» SdC No. 2 is not too far behind. It sounds like I need to try little

» brother.

I did decide to try little brother. I picked up a box of the Partagas SdC No. 3 from 98 (FPG OESU). I have smoked two out of the box so far. All I can say is WOW. Even at 8 years old, these are full-flavored little smokes. They are kind of ugly little cigars, but the draws have all been fine and the taste...fantastic. Lots of Partagas spice, earth, with just a hint of fruit/citrus. Incredibly rich and toasty. Might be on the look out for a second box soon.