Suntory Whisky Imperial

ATGroom

Does anyone have any experience with this? Found it in a little bottle shop in the suburbs of Tokyo. Given how faded the box is and the amount the angels have taken I'd say it has been sitting for at least 20 years or so. Bit of info on the web but nothing like a review that I can find (in English, at any rate).

post-1177-0-26784900-1440738839_thumb.jp

post-1177-0-06741600-1440738844_thumb.jp

post-1177-0-83652200-1440738847_thumb.jp

post-1177-0-46917600-1440738851_thumb.jp

Did a quick google search and this came up. http://whiskiesrus.blogspot.com/2012/08/suntorys-imperial-blend.html. Apparently it was made until around 2000. Retail was 9,000-11,000 yen. Most of the value is in the Kagami crystal decanter.

I had seen this blog post myself, but what I was really looking for was a review by someone with first hand experience of it. What little info there is on Google is all over the shop; I found one page that says it's the cream of the Yamazaki production, another that basically says it's the standard Suntory blended whisky. I think the notion that all the value is in the bottle comes from an eBay auction that contains the standard "all the value in this auction is in the collectable packaging, any alcohol inside is coincidental and not for consumption" disclaimer needed to sell booze without a liquor license.

The closest thing to a review is a two sentence one that says it's similar to Crown Royal or Chivas.

In any event, it cost about $110AUD, which is by Australian standards is a decent price for a quality whisky, fancy bottle or no. I'll crack it open tonight and report back.

• Like 2

Well, I cracked it open last night. Suntory Whisky Imperial is a totally pleasant, if not overly complex, Japanese blended whisky. Basically it's slightly smoky with a very sweet aftertaste and strong alcohol burn. I had it alongside an entry level Yamazaki and a Hibiki 12 - the Imperial is pretty similar to the Hibiki (just with an extra touch of smoke). To my taste The Yamazaki was the best of the three.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with this? Found it in a little bottle shop in the suburbs of Tokyo. Given how faded the box is and the amount the angels have taken I'd say it has been sitting for at least 20 years or so. Bit of info on the web but nothing like a review that I can find (in English, at any rate).

That's an older bottling of blended whisky. Most are on the light side, but the premium bottlings are usually quite good.

I can't tell you much more, as I have never tried this one- they're usually given as gifts, hence the elaborate packaging.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk