Bolivar Corona Extra Tasting Notes

oops

Well I got too it earlier than I'd planned.

As Tampa has said it was a nice looking Corona Gorda with a flawless Colorado wrapper and unlike the last reviewed Cigar was thankfully free of box press. Upon lighting I was impressed by the draw and the somewhat spicy flavour which gradually faded into a solid tobacco taste. Something about it made me think Bolivar but in all honesty I've no idea what it was. It's been a long time since I smoked a Cigar as small as this so I did feel somewhat underwhelmed. All in all a decent smoke but nothing special...

Christ....

75/100

I received mine over the weekend, I'm going to give it a few days to settle:-P

My initial thoughts are that this is from a cab (No Box Press), well contructed, light wrapper, possibly an Epi 1, or an SLR Series A?

Can't wait for the taste test!!!

Ironman

This Corona Gorda had a dark tan wrapper with some minor veins and wrinkles. The construction was very firm, and consistent, without any hard spots. Since there was no evidence of box press, I presume that it was from a cab. From the start to a nubbed finish, the CG burned evenly, and held its shape. The wrapper remained intact. This cigar had some time on it, but had more than enough robust character to benefit from further aging. What a shame, I thought… only the good die young.

Pre-light scents included sweet cured tobacco, with distinct and earthy barnyard aromas. Pre-light draw was firm, just the way I like it. It seemed innocent enough…

But when ignited, an initial salvo of strong, spicy tobacco, and black pepper assaulted my senses. Throughout, the cigar delivered volumes of thick, creamy, mouth-coating smoke. I was lost in a rich and decadent blue cloud…

The first third included strong flavors of toasted tobacco, black coffee and peppery spice, which rasped and tickled the back of my throat. In its final hour, this cigar would have its revenge.

The second third revealed complex flavors of coffee, cooking spices, nuts, and cured fruits. At times it was raisin-like, dark and semi-sweet. Further on, I could detect hints of an intriguing sweet and sour quality, like cranberry relish. This was seductive, and I wanted more.

Alas, it was not to be...The final third built in intensity, but with strong pepper, espresso and charred wood that obscured the fruitiness. Maybe more time will tone it down, and bring out more complexity. There was a bold, spicy finale, and a deep, lasting finish.

This cigar is an "old-fashioned" Cuban, with the qualities that distinguish Habanos from all others. Score: 91

Would I smoke this cigar again? In a heartbeat. Hell, I would even pay for some of these!

My guess: a Punch. Probably a Super Selection No. 2, if Rob could bear to part with any…

BTW, thanks to our fearless leader for the freebie... these blind tastings are a great idea!

This cigar appeared as well constructed with no soft or hard spots. The burn was even with a moderate amount of creamy smoke. It formed a tight light grey ash which held for almost 1/4 of the smoke.

This stick presented with a medium brown Colorado wrapper that was moderately veined, but with no visable tooth.

The pre-light draw was as expected with a slight woody flavor and aroma.

Intially, upon lighting, I recieved a spicy pepper flavor burst that continued with a slight woody undertone. The flavor started to build into a full flavored complex smoke. The pepper-spice component was muted slightly as I approached the half way point. At this point I picked up a definite fruity flavor which built until the end, while maintaining the pepper spice and losing a bit of the woody undertones. There was a very fruity pepper-spice finish that left a nice, fruity zing on the palate.

A very enjoyable cigar that finished as strongly as it started. The stick seemed to have some age on it, as I detected no harshness what so ever, and the flavors were somewhat complex. I feel that this cigar will continue to improve with more age, however. I would definitely purchase this cigar and smoke it on a regular basis as I enjoyed it very much. My guess would be an RyJ Exhibition No 3.

Overall score: I'd give it a 92

Well I decided last night after the little ones went to bed that I’d put this cigar to a fiery death!!

Preparation-Pre-light

I sat down with only a tall glass of ice water to enjoy this cigar with, as to not hinder or hide any of its nuances. I then spent some time looking at the construction of this fine cigar; I pictured the master cigar roller taking his or her time, making this cigar. It had a very nice Colorado wrapper as stated, and was wonderfully constructed, firm with no soft spots with a few veins that added to its beauty. Excellent construction!!! I clipped it with my SAK cutter and the cap remained well formed, with no unraveling. I took a few pre-light draws and sniffed the entire length of the cigar and knew I was in for a treat!!!

The Smoke:

I toasted the foot with my Colibri and the first thing I noticed was the rich old Cuban tobacco aroma of this cigar, from the first draw it was very spicy with some wood undertones, it had a full but not harsh taste, the smoke was thick and this cigar burned perfectly with a nice dark gray ash. The full flavor was incredible... it had a slight cedar taste, with a hint of sweetness; it never became harsh, but did stay very peppery with a strong tobacco taste throughout.

Conclusion:

This was in my opinion, a full flavored, but not a STRONG cigar, that anyone could enjoy, but I would recommend having a meal beforehand and enjoying this cigar with a nice glass of Port.

Thank you for this opportunity!! :-)

Rating 93/100

This was a tough cigar to figure out, I would have to say a young Punch Punch.

Ironman

I decided to test my palate of a Billy Goat this evening with the May Blind Taste Test cigar. As many have already said, the cigar had a medium brown Colorado wrapper that was smooth with no tooth. It measured up nicely next to other Corona Gordas that I have resting in my humidor. This example showed no signs of a box press, so one would conclude that it came from either a Cabinet or a SLB.

The construction was not flawed in any way. It clipped nicely and presented a pre-light draw that indicated that it would bring forth ample amounts of smoke. Upon lighting it, I was greeted with a medium Toasted Tobacco Flavor, which maintained throughout the entire cigar. It quickly turned very woody and mild with a subtle sweetness in the background. I initially thought that it might be a Punch Punch due to the woodiness, but I had smoked another Punch earlier in the day, and the overall flavor profile was not the same; thus, I am guessing that this test cigar is a RyJ Exhibicion No.3. I enjoyed the cigar, but doubt that I would be rushing out to obtain a box, as my palate prefers a stronger bodied cigar most of the time. For someone that enjoyed a mildly medium bodied cigar, this would be a very good cigar for them.

I would rate the cigars performance and flavors an 87

Tampa

» Post all reviews here guys.

When I first opened the zip lock to move this cigar into my humidor, I was bowled over by the spicy smell coming from the bag. It appears to be a 42 ring gauge, corona, but the length of a CG. I guess I could be a little off on the gauge, however, that's always a tricky one as the differences are so subtle. I sat it down in the box and waited for a week.

The draw was easy and spicy. Smoke volume was average. The wrapper was a colorado with a nice layer of plume and the cigar had no hint of ammonia. The thing that amazed me about this cigar was the fragrant aroma. Even I could smell it although I was smoking it. I even had a few of the neighbors drop by and they said, "I knew I smelled a cigar" Very floral.

The body was medium light, so I really don't think it is one of my regular brands like Bolivar. The ash was unusual, white, instead of salt and pepper. Flavors are subjective to each person, but these were like cinnamon or bread. They all intensified but never changed throughout the smoke. I would guess a ERDM or Juan Lopez. I would rate it very enjoyable, not nirvana but good. 88.

Construction-Pre light- Nice medium brown wrapper with no soft spots. Had a nice woody aroma

Smoke- When I first lit this cigar, it had a nice, fragrant habano aroma so I was looking forward to a nice 45 min smoke. About a quarter of the way in, the smoke started to have some burn problems, probably due to the long travel time and not enough time in the humidor. This habano was a little short on taste for me as well. That maybe partly due to the fact that I enjoy full bodies cigars or to the fact that I just got back from the Bahamas yesterday where I was smoking 5+ habanos a day. Most likely, a little of both. Even in the morning this cigar just didn't have the Ummph that I enjoy although the aroma coming from the cigar the enitre length was very enjoyable.

Conclusion-Not a bad cigar by any means, just not one that I would purchase. My guess is a Juan Lopez #1 and a 87 rating from myself.

Thanks for letting me participate. ;-)

» » Post all reviews here guys.

»

» When I first opened the zip lock to move this cigar into my humidor, I

» was bowled over by the spicy smell coming from the bag. It appears to be a

» 42 ring gauge, corona, but the length of a CG. I guess I could be a little

» off on the gauge, however, that's always a tricky one as the differences

» are so subtle. I sat it down in the box and waited for a week.

» The draw was easy and spicy. Smoke volume was average. The wrapper was a

» colorado with a nice layer of plume and the cigar had no hint of ammonia.

» The thing that amazed me about this cigar was the fragrant aroma. Even I

» could smell it although I was smoking it. I even had a few of the

» neighbors drop by and they said, "I knew I smelled a cigar" Very floral.

»

» The body was medium light, so I really don't think it is one of my regular

» brands like Bolivar. The ash was unusual, white, instead of salt and

» pepper. Flavors are subjective to each person, but these were like

» cinnamon or bread. They all intensified but never changed throughout the

» smoke. I would guess a ERDM or Juan Lopez. I would rate it very enjoyable,

» not nirvana but good. 88.

p.ss Lots of white pepper in this one, almost forgot.

pps Thank You for allowing me to smoke one of your cigars!:-D

MAY REVIEW FROM SKID11

Received my cigar on Thursday and popped it in the humidor for a few days to settle.

Vitola Corona*

Size Between 51/2" & 55/8"

Gauge 42 – 44

Colour Colorada Claro

The size confused me a bit but my measuring skills at 9.30pm might have been a bit suspect.

The unlit aroma as it arrived was a bit fresh (if it was a wine I’d say almost a Sav.Blanc aroma if you get my drift.) but mellowed after it’s short stint in the humidor.

The wrapper looked good with a nice sheen, minor veins and a couple a soft spots were noted but not a concern, the cap construction was excellent.

Good draw and consistent burn throughout with solid grey/white layered ash.

The first third was mild with fresh tobacco flavours and a light aroma it was a very cool burning cigar. The flavours developed slightly in the second third (earthy / peppery) but never developed more than that. Wow, the last third delivered a hefty nicotine head spin kick, I was surprised, as I had never experienced that from such a mild flavoured cigar before.

Overall very good, but a little mild flavoured in the first two thirds with a disappointingly light aroma for my taste.

Not a cigar I’ve smoked before but my best “guess” as to the maker would be maybe A Gispert (Corona), Por Laranaga (Lancero),El Rey Del Mundo (Isabel) or Juan Lopez (Coronas)

Thanks for the opportunity. Great Fun.

The cigar I recieved was in great condition. Light brown wrapper with no box press. Had nice draw with no burn problems, fair amount of smoke. Started out with a little spicy pepper then mellowed into a nice tobacco flavor. It was great medium strenght cigar. I like a fuller flavored cigar. My rating would be 92. I don't have enough experience to take a guess as to what it was. Very cool deal. Thanks El Presidente. :clap:

Damnit I F'ed up and my post got erased when i tried to post it so here is a recap of the novel I just typed.

This corona gorda-sized (a guess as I did not measure) cigar was very well-rolled with nary a hint of a vein. Nice classic Cuban brown Not dark and oily, but not light and dry. In the middle of the spectrum. When clipped with my trusty razor sharp knife, the draw was perfect. Not light at all - which I hate, and not plugged whatsover. No hard or soft spots. 10/10 in the draw and construction dept.

The pre-light draw delivered a deep red cedary taste. I was very enthusiastic about this endeavor. And I knew I would not be dissapointed.

The cigar took to the flame very well and the burn was spot on when the wind wasn't blowing too hard. When the wind was not blowing at all It was as if someone flipped a switch as all the aroma and flavor of the rich thick smoke bellowed into my nostrils and mouth. On top of a coca bean aroma, I tasted a light vanilla and cocoa-buttered graham cracker crsut melded with a woody and clean toasted tobacco undertone. This cigar seemed to be on the lighter side but maybe it was just well-aged and the complexity defied it's wild nature. The final 3rd would tell the tale....

The last few inches really began to pick up steam and this is where the cigar demanded my undivided attention. It's subtle nature gave way to a refined spiciness smacking of peppered gingerbread with a nice hint of vanilla all sandwiched between a woody backdrop with a toasted tobacco marinade. It burned my fingers so badly I dropped the last 1/4" into the river. All-in-all a very enjoyable smoke that I would define as being filled with first rate clean complex tobacco. I would buy a box. 90/100.

This is my very first written review of any cigar as I usually don't even read them as they tend to be so subjective. but this was very fun and I am thanful to have participated. Please tell us what it was so everyone can get some to do their own testings!

Final Answer: A Punch Super Epicure Seleccion #1 he he he.

Mystery cigar - first attempt. After an SLR DC, a M/C II, a thousand beers and umpteen bottles of wine, this could have been anything from the worst compost to the finest cigar ever rolled.

Second attempt - look is very similar to a PSS2 or PP but marginally thinner - corona. Nice, slightly oily sheen, like light milk chocolate. No evidence of box press.

Cold, the cigar had a lovely rich, raisiny, slightly nutty aroma - very attractive. This was also evident in the cigar itself when initially smoked. There was a really attractive ‘rum and raisin’ note to it. Hint of spice and cinnamon and fully fruity but in the mid range in terms of power. I didn’t come up with any real woody notes in mine. Quite creamy. Remarkably consistent throughout but as worked through it, overtones of honey became stronger. Good aftertaste with those honey touches. First half, the burn was slow and consistent and really needed little attention. Draw good. Second half persisted with the flavours and was impressive but the major problem was the burn which became increasingly frustrating and needed constant attention. Would have marked it higher but for that problem. Taking that into account, gave it 89 but really did enjoy the flavours and will try again as, if burn is better, would look at it regularly.

As for what it is, many thanks to Rob for wasting about three hours of time as I changed my mind dozens of times and went back and forward. Rule is to always go with first thoughts. That would have been fine if I could remember what I first thought it was. Once or twice, thought I had it nailed only to find they had been discontinued. Assuming it is not some weird never-seen brand or another Vega Robaina. Not woody or earth enough for a Juan Lopez; didn’t think that the Upmann coronas have enough flavour; find the M/C III’s too dull and bland; didn’t have the grassy characters of SLR; not powerful enough for Partagas; not a Por Larranaga as I have never smoked one and that would be just plain cruel - and I couldn’t fit it in to any of theirs with flavour and size; thought it might have had some of the characters of La Gloria Cubana but couldn’t nail a specific smoke; too good and not earthy enough for Quintero; wondered if possibly a Ramon Allones 898 but doubt El Pres would have found this for us - none to sell. Came down to possibly El Rey del Mundo, R&J or Hoyo. Not the Hoyo Roi as I understood that they were finished. Possibly the R&J Cedros Deluxe No2 and the cedar protected it from evidence of box press. For me, the Exhibicion No 3's are a marginally larger ring size than this. Toss up for the R&J Corona but (I’m away for the next week) will be very interested to find out what it was when back.

Without doubt one of the more difficult cigars for our tasters this month to nail.

Even the size appeared to be contentious but I can confirm it was a Corona Gorda from a cabinet of 50.

There appears to be two distinct lines of tasting...a ho hum group and a sweet rum and raisin group. Almost unanimously all described it as mild to mid bodied.

Toasted mine on Sunday after my Son's Rugby game. Mine had a few minor veins nd I was concerned the roll was a little on he loose side. However it had an intoxicating sweet spice aroma at cold which surprised me.

The cigar opened up mid bodied with volumes of smoke and a tannic tarry taste which disappeared within a minute to shuffle in a feint and sweetish toffee apple profile. Loved it and wish it continued but by the last third the body was building and all that remained in terms of flavour was pur unadulterated Cuban tobacco.

This cigar has potential and if Por Larranagamade a Corona Extra...this would be it. 89

But it is not ;-)

Let me introduce you to Bolivar Corona Extra

Cabinet

Box Code: AIS SEP 03

» Let me introduce you to Bolivar Corona Extra

»

» Cabinet

»

» Box Code: AIS SEP 03

LMAO, SO I do have the palate of a Billy Goat! All I can say is that this cigar did not present the same flavors that the Cab from Sept 99 I have been smoking through, but it was a tasty cigar.

Thanks again for this opportunity and it was fun!!!!!

Tampa

» Without doubt one of the more difficult cigars for our tasters this month

» to nail.

»

» Even the size appeared to be contentious but I can confirm it was a Corona

» Gorda from a cabinet of 50.

»

» There appears to be two distinct lines of tasting...a ho hum group and a

» sweet rum and raisin group. Almost unanimously all described it as mild to

» mid bodied.

»

» Toasted mine on Sunday after my Son's Rugby game. Mine had a few minor

» veins nd I was concerned the roll was a little on he loose side. However

» it had an intoxicating sweet spice aroma at cold which surprised me.

»

» The cigar opened up mid bodied with volumes of smoke and a tannic tarry

» taste which disappeared within a minute to shuffle in a feint and sweetish

» toffee apple profile. Loved it and wish it continued but by the last third

» the body was building and all that remained in terms of flavour was pur

» unadulterated Cuban tobacco.

»

» This cigar has potential and if Por Larranagamade a Corona Extra...this

» would be it. 89

» But it is not ;-)

»

»

» Cabinet

»

Simon' in drag! How could this be? "Raisiny, Fruity and Bread?"

What happened to the "Most Bolivar of all Bolivars?"

I guess I'll have to move to South Beach now and admit my new sexual identity brought on by my old friend who has turned over a new "leaf", so to speak.

» Without doubt one of the more difficult cigars for our tasters this month

» to nail.

»

» Even the size appeared to be contentious but I can confirm it was a Corona

» Gorda from a cabinet of 50.

»

» There appears to be two distinct lines of tasting...a ho hum group and a

» sweet rum and raisin group. Almost unanimously all described it as mild to

» mid bodied.

»

» Toasted mine on Sunday after my Son's Rugby game. Mine had a few minor

» veins nd I was concerned the roll was a little on he loose side. However

» it had an intoxicating sweet spice aroma at cold which surprised me.

»

» The cigar opened up mid bodied with volumes of smoke and a tannic tarry

» taste which disappeared within a minute to shuffle in a feint and sweetish

» toffee apple profile. Loved it and wish it continued but by the last third

» the body was building and all that remained in terms of flavour was pur

» unadulterated Cuban tobacco.

»

» This cigar has potential and if Por Larranagamade a Corona Extra...this

» would be it. 89

» But it is not ;-)

»

»

» Cabinet

»

Wow, Unbelievable. I was correct, I have never had one of these before. However, I enjoy many other Bolivars. I discovered none of the character traits of the Bolivars I smoked, In this cigar. Thanks again, Rob.

I just smoked my cigar yesterday and it was quite nice. Sorry that Rob already posted what it was, but I was going to guess it was a Boli Corona Extra anyways. Thanks for letting me take part in the taste test El Presidente!