50 Year Old Dalmore Affinity

sengjc

One bottle produced to commemorate Singapore's 50th Anniversary. I love the following...

"Only one bottle of The Dalmore Affinity has been produced and the 700ml bottle is priced at $105,645 . The ornate crystal decanter, which bears the distillery's emblem, a silver stag, is on display in the lobby of Hotel Michael in Resorts World Sentosa until Saturday.

Those interested in buying it can approach the hotel's staff.

The Dalmore has received at least 15 inquiries and offers across Asia to put deposits on the bottle since it was launched last month .

The Dalmore Affinity has notes of caramel orange, dark chocolate, marzipan, liquorice, figs and black Maraschino cherries, reminiscent of a rich Christmas cake."

Some what related and its always made me wonder, why are official bottlings of older aged whiskies such as this are so so expensive, compared to say a G&M bottling. I mean you can pick up some very old (40 and 50yo) G&M glen grants for between 600-1200 in aust and yet you often see official 50 yo's selling for 30k all the way to this 100k bad boy. Understand the rarity in this bottle, but in general, why are official bottlings so much more expensive?

Some what related and its always made me wonder, why are official bottlings of older aged whiskies such as this are so so expensive, compared to say a G&M bottling. I mean you can pick up some very old (40 and 50yo) G&M glen grants for between 600-1200 in aust and yet you often see official 50 yo's selling for 30k all the way to this 100k bad boy. Understand the rarity in this bottle, but in general, why are official bottlings so much more expensive?

I think there is the general idea is that the distilleries "usually" reserve the best casks for themselves, but I am sure the packaging and the associated marketing.

Distilleries these days are usually owned by big corporations/conglomerates that exist to maximise revenue and return of investment to the shareholders. Also these, usually have higher overheads than compared to the independents and smaller distillery companies like Glenfarclas for example.

You can still get a bottle of Glenfarclas 40 Year Old for $1000 and there's still heaps of change. Guess how much a comparably aged bottle of Macallan would set you back by?

Lastly, I am sure that supply & demand plays a factor too.

I think there is the general idea is that the distilleries "usually" reserve the best casks for themselves, but I am sure the packaging and the associated marketing.

Distilleries these days are usually owned by big corporations/conglomerates that exist to maximise revenue and return of investment to the shareholders. Also these, usually have higher overheads than compared to the independents and smaller distillery companies like Glenfarclas for example.

You can still get a bottle of Glenfarclas 40 Year Old for $1000 and there's still heaps of change. Guess how much a comparably aged bottle of Macallan would set you back by?

Lastly, I am sure that supply & demand plays a factor too.

hahah yeap. no need to tell me how much a mac 40 would set one back. It's just the difference is substantial that's all. But you're right, all those factors you mentioned come into play. I can only say i'm glad indie's like G&M exist so us mere mortals can get the opportunity to try these very old bottlings.

It's also the collectability factor. People tend to be willing to pay substantially more for a distillery bottling as opposed to a secondary bottlers version. It is more desirable by far for a collector compared to a drinker.

Similar comparison to cigars. Cohiba factory OR 2010 BHKs sell for significantly more than 2011 non Cohiba boxes.

• Like 1