The Revenant - Trailer

Jeremy Festa

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Watched the Revenant the other night and blown away by certain scenes. Such an amazing movie, Leo deserves an Oscar or at least the movie sure does but again, it falls down to Leo. The movie is pretty graphic and often at times, really quiet giving you a feeling of isolation in the rugged wilderness. WOW, great film.

Watched the Revenant the other night and blown away by certain scenes. Such an amazing movie, Leo deserves an Oscar or at least the movie sure does but again, it falls down to Leo. The movie is pretty graphic and often at times, really quiet giving you a feeling of isolation in the rugged wilderness. WOW, great film.

Mika, after viewing, I came to the exact same conclusions. Outstanding cinematography (as was Gravity and Birdman), graphically violent, realistic and a performance from Leoardo DiCaprio that Robert De Niro would be proud of! Definitely worthy of the Oscar for Best Actor in 2016!

It was a good movie but I was a little disappointed. It was based on Hugh Glass being mauled but a lot of inaccuracies and most of it being location and season. The mauling occured near the central South Dakota town of Shadehill and he trekked to Fort Meade (Chamberlain SD).

First off the site of the mauling. Lots of trees and mountains right?

showcase.jpg

What he used for navigation was Thunder Butte which is the only high landmark for many miles, to find his way to the Cheyenne River and then followed the river to Chamberlain.

_MG_3839.jpg

I know, lots of mountains right. Lets talk about seasons. The native Sioux Indians didn't even stay on the plains in winter. There was no way in hell Hugh Glass would have survived two months on the plains once snow blows here. The natives made annual migrations to the Black Hills to shelter down in more mild climate for winter. Not only would he have froze to death but to avoid gangrene he allowed maggots to eat the dead flesh from his back. Ever see flies in winter? Me neither.

Now some of the basic story flaws. Hugh Glass never had a son, let alone one that was murdered in front of him. Hugh never killed anyone. He did track down the boy, Jim Bridger who later became a legendary mountain man, that abandoned him. He also never killed Ferguson but he did track him down and got his rifle back. Though there is some question if he only didn't kill Ferguson because he was then a U.S. Army Soldier which would have been a steep penalty for killing him.

To me I think it is just lazy film making. They went for what people traditionally think of the west when they could have made it just as good if not better by trying to be historically accurate. If you think about it, middle of a grass land, only landmark is that one bluff in an ocean of grass. Meanwhile you can see for miles and everything else can also see you. Packs of Wolves, Coyotes, Bears, Mountain Lion, Rattlesnakes. Huge herds of Buffalo that are quick to stomp and trample you rather than look at you. Not to mention the native tribes in the region that were not friendly with one another or whites. The attacking tribe in the beginning was the Arikara, which the trappers mistook them for a friendly tribe as they sat down to eat with them but soon realized they were not the friendly ones they thought and tried to bug out and were attacked in the process. They could have also tied in the Cheyanne, Minconjou, Teton, Blackfoot or Ponca for some kind of intervening tribe. Would have made sense because there were natives that did assist him and arm him. Like I said, Lazy. They probably scouted the place out and saw it was flat and looked boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the film even though it wasn't historically accurate. It's a film for entertainment purposes and it achieved that IMHO. It would be great to see a doco made about the true story too. Maybe the best film I've seen for 2015/16 so far. Liked Revenant, Mad Max, Straight Outta Compton, The Martian and Sicario the most then Star Wars and Spectre. It will be interesting at the Academy Awards. The Golden globes made The Martian best comedy - what a joke (pardon the pun).

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Loved the cinematography and the realistic fight scenes in particular. The bear scene is an instant classic IMO. It was too long though and some of the dream/flashbacks/women talking in background was a bit much and didn't add much apart from when he was hallucinating during his injury which makes sense. Dicaprio was intense and tom hardy was awesome as the bad guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk