Advanced PADI. Osprey reef in the Coral Sea off the coast of Far North Queensland has been the best I've done. And also the outer barrier reef and the touristy barrier reef dives. Dived in The Solomons which was awesome off Gizo, abyssal drop-offs and drifts and WW2 wrecks. Dived most recently in Nuie which is affectionately known as The Rock. It's an island in the South Pacific with very deep water and cliffs and lots of sea crates which are like small sea snakes and lots of tunnels and caves but we caught the swell from a cyclone in the region and couldn't do the caves which was disappointing but the clearest water I've ever seen. Dived in Hawaii through tunnels with lots of big turtles off Kuaii. Also dived Ko Toa Island in Thailand, Sail Rock was a highlight. Ascent is through a hole in the rock and you pop out 30 metres down out of another hole and saw a whale shark. Dived on a ship wreck in Vanuatu in the harbour there. Found Vanuatu ridiculously expensive for what it is though. But was only in the main city in a resort. Vietnam was funny. Hardly any fish except for poisonous types like lion fish. A starving remora fish tried to attach to my tank and the guide freaked out thinking it was small shark. Me thinks they tend to overfish there a bit. Dived Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia which I think is better than the Great Barrier Reef in many respects. I got my dive licence on an island off Cancun in Mexico aptly named Isla Majores (Island of the women). I didn't do all that well with the ladies but had some great dives there. One highlight was a wreck dive where schooling false killer whales had hoarded loads of fish up that were trying to find cover in the wreck. Could hear the whale calls all around us. Strangely, I've never scuba dived in my home state of Victoria - just freedive spearfishing which helps the scuba immensely because it creates greater confidence. 15 to 18 metres doesn't seem deep. But 30 metres is still 30 metres.

• Like 3

Dive all year round hear in club med Mandurah crayfish dhu fish ,snapper

Hamlin bay annual pilgrimage for green lip abalone ...a little scary amongst seals...and minke whales

Barrier reef

Ningaloo

Maldives probably the best diving I have done ...massive ecosystems ...colours , and warm water. will go back.

Phuket

Red sea amazing

Ireland freezing cold..

New Caledonia ..amazing

Philippines

Rottnest Island is always fun ,,,about an hour boat trip from home

And you got it Bill 30 metres is a stretch....the only reason we dive to around 35meters ...bigger crays , bigger fish...you simply don't get the bottom time ...and the deco stop never much fun.

• Like 2

I picked up my Padi card while attending University a long time back. I've dived most places around the world but recently do the Grotto in Saipan and it was something else..

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/northern-mariana-islands/sights/parks-gardens/the-grotto

In the next couple years I am hoping to make it over to Truk island.

Thailand has some excellent diving.. Koh Tao, Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe and of course Koh Samui.

Kurt

I got my certification back in the late 90's and dove quite a bit, but did so on my parents dime. Post college has seen a big decline in the frequency of diving esp since my wife isn't interested in it. However we usually vacation in the the tropics which allows me to get a few dives per trip. I have a fond memories of diving in the Virgin Islands and along the Keys in Florida. Did a bunch of dives off of Cozumel for a friends wedding. It was awesome, her family is full of serious divers.

Got my tickets through IANTD and am certified up to Normoxic Trimix and Category 2 Cave Dives

Been a few years since I was in the water though as life decided to get in my way

Would dare any of the diving I used to do, as I would be inviting disaster with my current rustiness but spend a great deal of my younger years chasing depth and danger

PADI - put another dollar in. Yes I've done a few coarses with them.

I mainly dive for cray off Perth and Lancelin. I have got away from using tanks for diving after setting up a ****** system on my boat. I'm not really a dive for the beauty of it kind of diver, more of a put a spear or loop on that and see how it tastes.

• Like 3

Wow some experienced divers here. I'm working on rescue now with SDI. Most of my dives are freshwater quarry dives, a few ocean dives too, only 5 warm water dives all the rest cold. Just did a dive two weeks ago off the coast of Copenhagen in the Øresund, 13c/58f. Lots of purple/blue jellyfish, crabs, and flat fish. Was actually on world ocean day, so lots of trash cleanup going on.

My favorites have to be Shelly Beach down in Manly/Sydney, and Dutchsprings in Pennsylvania. Coldest was an ice dive on New Year's Day a few years back. Brrr. Glad I did it, not sure I'lol do that again though. I don't like diving dry nearly as much as wet. I guess I'm kinda weird, but just feel more at peace when wet than dry. Like I'm actually in the aquatic world, instead of just passing by.

Some proper divers here, to be sure.

Naui open water I certified about a million years ago. Before dive computers and two-regulator octopii.

To keep it topical, I've been off Cairns in the Great Barrier Reef, and Cuba in Maria la Gorda. Don't think I've ever had a bad dive, but I must say I had some trouble with cigars and diving in Bonaire. Some bleeding from my nose.

Anyone have trouble with this?

Nrengle, I did most of my check out dives for my various PADI certainly at Dutch springs. What a coincidence!

It's such a great spot. Thinking about making a trip out there from Columbus while I'm home actually.

• 3 months later...

Looking through the site and found this.

Bonaire for me is great. Keep going back. Decided to go Nitrox. I don't feel as tired after which is a bonus. Go diving with good friends that are also cigar smokers so it is nice to relax with a cigar and review the day.

When we go to Oz in 2017, diving on the Great Barrier Reef is on my list. Anyone here done that? Would love to hear your thoughts and even some pics.

• Like 1

Looking through the site and found this.

Bonaire for me is great. Keep going back. Decided to go Nitrox. I don't feel as tired after which is a bonus. Go diving with good friends that are also cigar smokers so it is nice to relax with a cigar and review the day.

When we go to Oz in 2017, diving on the Great Barrier Reef is on my list. Anyone here done that? Would love to hear your thoughts and even some pics.

I have dived the Barrier reef a few times. It's all set up for divers in Cairns but do your research online to get an idea of what you want to do. I found that the day trips are limiting. If you go on one of the large catamaran vessels then you'll end up at a pontoon with a lot of other tourists. It's still great fun and pretty well organised. I have a friend who used to skipper one of the big catamarans and have sat up front with him. But remember to take sea sick tablets. I found Kwells are the best. Many people get sick because the sit up top where there is more movement. I like to sit out the back and look at the horizon. If my head is down, reading or even putting on fins etc I get a bit woozy. Green Island is fine for a day trip with the family and you can do dives out of there, organised beforehand. But the best diving on the reef on the outer ribbon reefs. I think there are day trips but make sure you don't skimp and go the cheap option of the slow boat. A fast boat with a smaller group is best. The Cod Hole is on the outer reefs and is one of the highlights. If you really want to experience it I can recommend a liveaboard trip on a boat to the outer reef and the Coral Sea. 5 days was best for me. 7 days would maybe be too long. But you have to be fit. It's pretty full on and sleeping is hard on a boat. The Osprey reef in the Coral Sea is awesome. Best diving I have experienced. Do some google searching and you'll get an idea of the sites and different options - whether it's a family day or something just for yourself that's a bit more advanced there are a lot of options. You might want to book online before you go because you may miss out on the day you want to dive. July to October are the better months, although the wind can get up in at times. Hey, it's the tropics so the weather dictates what you can and can't do. I have been on a dedicated 9 day live aboard freedive spearfishing trip twice to the Coral Sea in November. There is always a chance of rain then but the wind is usually not as strong. I have also been on a live aboard scuba trip for 5 days to the outer reefs and Osprey reef. The wind needs to be less than 15 knots for a comfortable trip to the Coral Sea. Otherwise the boat will only go to the outer barrier reef - which is awesome - but the Coral Sea is something else again. It's like you've dropped into Finding Nemo. All the best with your trip.

• Like 1

NAUI certified. I'm surprised to see Dutch Spring's mentioned by others here. I took my final check out dive there....in @ 55 degree water. Thank heavens the instructor told us to bring a gallon of hot water to dump into our suits before diving. The other alternative to warming the suit from the inside never appealed to me.....even though veteran divers claim it's common (peeing inside while diving). Most dives done in the Caribbean islands. Too damn cold in the Atlantic for me!