Partagas 8-9-8 bad reputation?

• 2 years later...

I smoked one of my 2014 898's last night. RAE-NOV-14. Some great flavours coming through but I think they will benefit from some more down time. 

Has anyone had any 14's recently. If so how are they smoking?

The Party 898 is by far one of my favorite cigars, period. I've smoked them from new boxes ROTT all the way back to mid 90s sticks and quite frankly, I am never disappointed. I love the vitola, flavors, strength, and overall greatness of this cigar. I currently have a box of 08s and they are some of the best I've ever had. The construction, burn, and flavors are spot on! I'm so happy with them that I'm looking for more of the same year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

. I currently have a box of 08s and they are some of the best I've ever had. The construction, burn, and flavors are spot on! I'm so happy with them that I'm looking for more of the same year!

AGU ABR 08 is what I am smoking through. No complaints.

Personally I've noticed their wild side dialed back since 2007-8. I'm currently smoking through a 2015, 343 that is odd in the fact it displays some roasted corn and butter, whereas I usually get a forest floor, musty fungal profile with the older blend.

5 hours ago, 99call said:

Personally I've noticed their wild side dialed back since 2007-8. I'm currently smoking through a 2015, 343 that is odd in the fact it displays some roasted corn and butter, whereas I usually get a forest floor, musty fungal profile with the older blend.

Your description captures my experience with the older blend, too. Add mineral earth and straight-down-the-middle tobacco and you've nailed it.

I haven't had enough of the newer vintages to confidently describe them yet. If you're getting butter, though, I'm going to make it a mission to spend more time with them. I love the butteriness in the older Monsdales I've had and if I could get something similar from a regular production stick, it would zoom up my personal chart.